motion sensor for coyotes

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by markT, Sep 27, 2017.

1. markT

markT

I would like to be notified via a sensor when a coyote would come into feeding on "gut pile." I saw a "Buck Alert" Motion Detection system on a Google search.
    Any ideas, suggestions or experience with Buck Alert or another system to notify me of movement at night time..
    Thank you!

dmoran likes this.
  2. Knotwild

Knotwild Silver $$ Contributor

I read about a guy who installed what you are talking about and killed 70 in 4 years. You will probably want/need some kind of night vision or at least a red or green light. Although it wouldn't be hard to put a light on a pole that was red or green that would come on with the driveway alarm. Those rascals will get used to it. One thing about a gut pile is that they will try to drag off stuff before they eat it. I was thinking good old dog food poured out would work just as good.

I have done a little research on wireless driveway alerts. I have been thinking about installing one myself. Of course it could also be a coon, possum, bobcat, etc. I found one that sounds good and works up to a quarter of a mile.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/1-4-Mile...Motion-Sensor-Detector-Alert-System/546602526

3. Webster

Webster

You can buy a nice wireless motion detector at Harbour Freight for $13. Good battery life. Works great. My sensor is in the back yard and it sends wireless to my bedroom 50' away. When the alarm goes off I grab my paintball gun. Need to protect my flowers. I bought 3 of them put sensors at 3 locations to cover the yard. All three are received by the same receiver since they are all on the same frequency. It says 400' range on the box.

4. Nomad47

Nomad47

I wonder how far away the OP's "gut pile" is from where he will be. And does the OP want a buzzer to go off or what?

hehunts likes this.
  5. markT

markT

Mr Nomad47. Thank you so much for your reply!
    I left out so many details. I'm really sorry..
    I'm hunting coyotes.. so I must be really quiet right? So some type of light or very low dB vibration as an alert.
    Range? Approx 75 yds.. max
    Trail camera shows 4:30- 5:50 a.m. When they are visiting the "gut pile"
    I have the "meat/ guts" wired down with chicken wire to make them work to get food.
    Any more details or information I can provide?

6. Webster

Webster

The Harbour Freight motion detector has 3 positions, off, led light alert or beeper.

7. Nomad47

Nomad47

The Harbor Freight driveway alert is on sale in October for $10.
    I'm sure you could disable the chime. And I think it has a small red LED to alert you.

8. Nomad47

Nomad47

Oops. Didn't see Webster's post before I posted

9. hpasquet

hpasquet

The Harbor Freight unit does not have enough range. I use a Chamberlain that has over a half mile range. I set my bait at 200 yards and when a coyote comes in, the unit beeps and I get out of bed and shoot it with an ATN night scope from a bench and rest in my son's bedroom. He is no longer at home. I have killed over 100 the past 20 years. I also use it on wild hogs.

boogershooter, WyleWD and yotehater like this.
  10. markT

markT

Thanks hpasquet. Now your talking my language sir!! Where can I find / buy the Chamberlain? Please sir.

snert likes this.
  11. Nomad47

Nomad47

The Harbor Freight unit won't go 75 yards? He's not dealing with any walls. For $10, I would try it first.

12. hpasquet

hpasquet

You will not get any coyotes to come 75 yards away from your house. Google "driveway alerts". I also use a thermal scope and have killed a hog at 334 yards at 10 PM. The driveway alerts allow you to sleep or watch TV until they beep. Before I had one, I would look outside every few hours. What a pain.

13. timeout

timeout Silver $$ Contributor

Not trying to be a wise guy, but saying you won't get a coyote to come within 75 yards of your house is just not true. Coyotes come within 25 yards of my house regularly and into the yard occasionally. That is without a bait pile. Moreover, they are common occurrences even in towns and cities. Sorry to disagree, but these are facts.

dmoran, brians356, yotehater and 3 others like this.
  14. 17VLD

17VLD

I know Greg Tannel at GTR uses one and shoots them in the middle of the night with a suppressed 20 wildcat,he has infrared lights so they don't get spooked,call him about his setup he loves shooting coyotes.Pretty sure Gregs setup is a little past 300 yards away.
    Matt

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  15. Mark W

Mark W Silver $$ Contributor

Yea, I had coyotes steal my house cat off of my front porch one night a few years ago.

16. timeout

timeout Silver $$ Contributor

I was trapping coyotes in OK. several years ago and one place I was setting steel, the owners had witnessed a coyote come into their house yard, grab their dog and trot off with it. I caught the biggest male coyote of my career on their place. Those folks were so happy I had fresh cookies the next day and a lifetime invite to stay and trap whenever I wanted.

boogershooter and yotehater like this.
  17. hpasquet

hpasquet

They will occasionally come close to a house, but to get max kill they lose their fear at 200 yards. They were killing my calves until I started wiping them out. No losses since. They went from packs to one or two at a time. Also with the rabbits and other game available, they were less aggressive. I want to kill them at 200, not let them on my porch. The long range detectors were only about $65.00.

yotehater likes this.
  18. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Gold $$ Contributor

put up three motion detectors in a triangle to cover about 15 yards. Coyote CAN NOT SEE THE COLOR RED, so put red lights in the sockets. They step into the triangle to a feed pile, lights come on. Now, on another motion sensor, have an alarm go off by your easy chair and/bed. Install a fake door in your back door, piece of plywood/plastic cardboard painted flat black. Have a shooting table with your 22 RF ready to go, with hole in the fake door for you to see through with scope. Have your gun set up where your cross hair is on the dog food. Don't shoot immediately, try and determine just how many they are. The one with his head stuck in the feed bowl is not apt to run off(Dominant animal), shoot another one first. Don't shoot at eyes, as they maybe your neighbors pet.

Use a flash light with a red lens filter to see your way though your house when the sensor goes off while you are sleeping. Mini mag light makes these. If you need light to reload with, leave your mini mag light on at the shooting bench, this will also help if you have a jam or fail to feed, the light will already be on. Caution, even a 5 watt night light near your shooting bench will sabotage your success.

Remember the color spectrum:

Red
    Orange
    Yellow

Green

Blue
    Indigo
    Violet

Nocturnal animals can not see red, they can see orange, yellow more, and can definitely see Green.

Use sub sonic 22's, shoot the coyotes in the lungs so they will run off, more will come. Be sure your muzzle is inside the house(further the better), not outside the fake door.

Take 4 cans of sardines in oil and pour them down a tree or post at your feed pile to add as an attractant, they can smell it for half a mile down wind or more. Put an orange sticker on the post and shoot your sub sonic 22's into that target as a reference for that distance.

Best time to bait like this is when a low pressure front is approaching or is over you.

Also, feed them for a while before you start, they meander in and out all night. Your wife may make you set up your "alert" in the spare bedroom because she will get tired of being woke up.

RWS sub sonic HP work well for this kind of work.

When you shoot one and he runs off, if you have done your job properly in not turning on lights in the house, getting set up quietly, you should get more than one. Don't run through the house, to the coyotes this will sound like an elephant is charging. Also, you may want to move some furniture around, so you do not run into it in the dim lit conditions(I broke a toe).

If you use a Ruger 10/22, be sure that your empty will not make any nose on what ever it hits, this cost me a couple of coyotes. You have plenty of time, manipulate the bolt on your action, quietly.

Combine sardines on the scent post and dry dog food with a can of wet cat food(leave the can), and you have a coyote meal that is simply beyond their ability to resist.

You have to observe all hunting regulations, baiting maybe illegal in your state, and don't shoot your neighbor's dog.

Experienced coyote hunters that have years of experience all have one thing in common, they use the color RED when using a light that casts a beam.

boogershooter, swd and timeout like this.
  19. Larryh128

Larryh128

I just bought a green trail camera type light that is motion activated( elusive wildlife) I haven't used it except to play with it walking past it in the shop. Definitely not as sensitive as my Moultrie cameras. I've hit a lot of stuff with a green gun light & haven't seen 1 flinch yet except when the bullet got there. Hunting hogs at night, I've hit deer with it & they have no clue.

20. Webster

Webster

The Harbour Freight will transmit 400' from the sensor to the receiver. Has a 40 degree angle coverage at 30'. Doesn't give total range but I pick up movement in my neighbors yard 60' away. Don't understand why you need long range sensitivity if they come to bait. The wind moving large flowers or bushes will set any detector off. At $10 a piece you could set up 3 in different directions or distances on one receiver. Good luck hunting whatever you do. I am now leaving the house to drive 100 miles to find a GH.