Most People Are Fooling Themselves.....

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by alinwa, Oct 13, 2018.

1. muleman69

muleman69 USMC -1st marine Div. RVN Gold $$ Contributor

Those vets didn't train where I did or they would still be doing pushups

KMart, hogpatrol and Comrade Terry like this.
  2. Coyotefurharvester

Coyotefurharvester

When I go to the range in the fall, I expect to encounter shooters who need help with issues. Some are safety related, those ALWAYS are responded to. Some are equipment related if they ask for help I will explain or assist them with the tools at hand. When a person is having issues with shooting skills, I will start a conversation, and make one suggestion that will improve their group size. Shooters that see tighter groups or quicker sight zeroing are excited and some want to learn more. Some are just satisfied to hit the target.

3. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

I really think it irritates you also, you just don't want to admit it, he's got extra help now, LOOK OUT,,:rolleyes:

Peebles24 likes this.
  4. Peebles24

Peebles24 Gold $$ Contributor

Maybe a bit :rolleyes::D kid can shoot. I am proud.

Geno C and joshb like this.
  5. rvn1968

rvn1968 Gold $$ Contributor

I agree,if I don't see some sort of contribution by their name,I wont bust my a** on a job

Milo 2.0 likes this.
  6. rwj

rwj Silver $$ Contributor

Yup... BTDT... we’re all fallible!

pirate ammo likes this.
  7. pirate ammo

one thing I always do though,,safety is on before I pick it up.

8. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

Good practice, especially with the Anschutz rimfires. :oops:

9. rwj

rwj Silver $$ Contributor

Yup... defense in depth prevented an AD for me too!

10. muleman69

muleman69 USMC -1st marine Div. RVN Gold $$ Contributor

I always like to see bolts open , only takes a split second to see that your part of the line is safe

11. Nature Boy

Nature Boy

People won’t ask for help at the range because they don’t want to look foolish in front of people they perceive to be “experts”

I carry a roll of freezer paper in my range bag for the purpose of helping folks who struggle with zeroing their new rifle or scope.

I’ll approach the person having trouble and respectfully ask if I could help them. Sometimes I can, sometimes it’s beyond my pay grade. To date no one has refused an offer to assits and by my account they’ve all appreciated the effort.

None of us were born with the knowledge we have. We either figured it out on our own or someone took the time to show us.

To add a self serving aspect to this. If someone can’t hit a 4’x8’ target stand at 100, where is that bullet going? Launching projectiles over the berm and out of the range range fan is a good way to get a range shut down and I don’t want that to happen to mine

clunker, dwall, Peebles24 and 7 others like this.
  12. KMart

KMart Gold $$ Contributor

Well, guess what. Went to the hardware store this morning and ran into him. He informed me that he had the rifle back from his grandson and I could have it if I wanted to work on it. He said he didn't need it this Saturday, but would need it next Saturday. I declined.

Dgd6mm, hoz53, hogpatrol and 2 others like this.
  13. Peebles24

Peebles24 Gold $$ Contributor

My best friend has had my .243 hunting rifle for 2 years lol still hasnt went through the 50 hand loads i made for his hunting trip to texas. I think he has taken at least 5 different game with it in 2 years.

KMart and Dgd6mm like this.
  14. F Class John

F Class John NRA Life Member Gold $$ Contributor

As someone who spent close to ten years on the other side of the gun counter back in the day I was constantly reminded that once an a$$hat always an a$$hat despite our common love of guns and the 2a. Sadly coming together around a passion doesn’t suddenly make everyone mother Theresa and I know that’s true no matter the sport or hobby. But that never stopped me/us from at least trying to help customers before they walked out the door. We had actual experts for a variety of disciplines and they were always happy to help. The customers decision on how they accepted that help was on them. Does that mean we didn’t have a good laugh once in a while at the stories customers told us, no becuase we are human and people do stupid things. The same can be said for management styles in the business world. You have managers who are threatened by people reaching the same or greater levels as them and then you have managers who want nothing more than for their subordinates to achieve greatness. Either way there’s likely going to be laughs, criticism and frustration along the way but how we direct those is critical. Our (and other) sports and hobbies are no different in this way.

I’ve always carried that philosophy forward and now as the discipline chair for my club 600yd group i do the same. We get new shooters all the time. Some with .223 pencil barrels and others with 300wm boomers. Of course neither of these will work well for actual f class but i always have to remember that not everyone is looking to win Berger on their first try. Most of these guys just want to have fun and see what they can do and so my first question to new shooters is simply “what are you looking to do here?” They want to be competitive we will work with them and if they just want to have fun we help them too just in different ways. That’s how I was treated when I joined and it’s what I will continue to pass on. Again, it’s on them how they take the help and sometimes they don’t want help and that’s ok too. Often times those people self select out of coming back and while that’s sad for me I understand.

At the end of the day people are who they are and sports (and for that matter business) exacerbates their strengths and faults for better or worse and all we can do is extend a hand and see if one comes back to us.

JBT, daleboy, pirate ammo and 7 others like this.
  15. swd

swd Yep that's me Gold $$ Contributor

Closer to the freezer that way :)

16. pirate ammo

the only place I shoot is from my warehouse, and there is no one else around,mostly at night at those darn PIGS,,

'Freak and hogpatrol like this.
  17. urbanrifleman

urbanrifleman Gold $$ Contributor

The Internet has made Americans into horrible liars.

okie likes this.
  18. pirate ammo

so has politics,,

clunker and 'Freak like this.
  19. Milo 2.0

Milo 2.0 Gold $$ Contributor

You sir seem like a genuinely decent person! One that can handle the broad spectrum of encounters and remain extremely upbeat, a dying breed so to speak.
    I by nature am a helpful person too. It has gotten me into a lot of no win situations. Helping someone zero a scope turns into a spotting job after, which in turn yields a not so accurate load, now you are a mentor. All because you had 10 test loads to shoot.

pirate ammo and hogpatrol like this.
  20. hoz53

hoz53 Gold $$ Contributor

Well the politicians anyway

clunker likes this.