Most accurate caliber out to 2200 yards

Discussion in 'ELR, Ballistics & Bullets Board' started by jaybigboy34, Jan 4, 2019.

1. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

Hornady wins another one.

2. 284winner

Kinda of sad really. Good for Hornady to pick up that contract. The real question is, was it the best option performance wise for the goal they were trying to reach. I think not. The 300 Norma Mag is a superior cartridge to the 300 PRC. If my information is correct, the 300 PRC is a 300 mag +P type performance. Berger, Norma and even Hornady makes loaded ammo for the Norma. Really makes no sense in terms of choice if they wanted the best ELR cartridge available and the 338 Lapua was probably even better as an option.

3. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

What's that prove? I remember they picked a 223 semi that jammed all the time for Vietnam. Matt

4. brians356

brians356 Gold $$ Contributor

Gee, that's relevant. Only 55 years ago. I suppose they'll never live it down.
    -

5. 284winner

Probably that just because it's the US Government, their decisions suck worse than most.

6. brians356

I'm sure you're right.
    -

284winner likes this.
  7. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

Gee, it doesnt matter how many years ago. It's just one of many things they do wrong. Sometimes it's comes down to who puts money in someone's pocket. Matt

Ledd Slinger and LA50SHOOTER like this.
  8. 284winner

As in the DODs decision on their LR 300 PRS choice ??? It's pretty obvious and without much research that the 300 PRS isn't much more than a non belted 300 win mag. Not to take anything from the 300 win mag but to categorize it as the Government's defense departments sniper choice cartridge over many better options clearly shows the Federal Government makes Pooooor choices occasionally. About like when Hornady publishes in there loading manual the 6.5 Creedmoor as a ballistically superior cartridge than the 260 Remington. Must be true, it's in the manual !!! Truth sells, right. There sure selling the hell out of the Creedmoor.

9. brians356

I'm sure you're right. They should have stuck with the M-14. Just think - If Eugene Stoner hadn't paid off a near-destitute Robert McNamara, the inferior AR-15/M-16 concept would have died on the vine, having no chance on its merits for over 8 million copies to be adopted by 80 countries and to serve in over 30 wars. Its complete lack of commercial success only serves to underscore your point. Yes, I'm absolutely sure you're right.
    -

10. Terry

Terry Gold $$ Contributor

Anyone shooting a 7mm this far?

11. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

That's one of the bullets I've been working with in my 300 NMI, 32" Broughton 5C, 1 in 8" twist. Still in adolescence of load development, but they are showing promise :)

Damn winter weather in Montana has put a hault to everything for me at the moment :mad:

12. 284winner

I think it's paralyzed the entire US. Has here as well. Practically impossible getting around after a bad ice storm. My 500 yard range is literally impossible to travel even on quad or SxS. 3/4" layer of ice covering everything makes it impossible without chains or studs getting around. Be at least a few weeks til temps rise enough to see it melt. Spring is around the corner tho. My 338 will be complete soon and on the range. Can't wait

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Ledd Slinger likes this.
  13. brians356

Whaaaat? Ice and snow? I was told those were things of the past. And that by '15 the Arctic would be ice-free in summertime. Guess sir Albert meant 2115. ;)
    -

simo hayha likes this.
  14. JD9000

JD9000

Climate change causes erratic weather.

Climate is a longer-term concept, such as what is happening over periods of years. An example would be, "2018 was the fourth warmest year on record, after 2016, 2017 and 2015, in order."

Weather would be like this storm.

You see the difference? The world is getting warmer, but not every day is warmer than the prior day.

15. brians356

Weather is no more "erratic" or "severe" now than in the documented past, by any metric. The world has been gradually warming since the most recent glacial period, and that's fortunate. Earth is currently in the midst of the Quaternary Ice Age, and the current inter-glacial period we're enjoying could just as easily turn back towards a new glacial period as continue warming. Former Obama White House Science Advisor John Holdren stated in 2014:

"While the climate of the Earth has changed over millennia as a result of natural factors — principally changes in the tilt and orientation of the Earth's axis and rotation, and in the shape of its orbit around the sun — those changes occur far too gradually to have noticeable effects over a period of mere decades. In their current phases, moreover, they would be gradually cooling the Earth — taking us to another ice age — if they weren't being more than offset by human-caused warming."

I don't believe humans are warming the planet, but even if we are, I wouldn't want to stop it, even if I was stupid and hubristic enough to think we can possibly deflect the trajectory of the planet's climate.
    -

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019 at 1:26 PM
    dwall likes this.
  16. Bibszo

Bibszo

.408 Cheytac, 33XC, 6.5 creed and a Dasher

I’m curious about the 33XC cartridge or Litz’ new enabler round.

Attached Files:

17. brians356

What methodology shall we employ to prove which "caliber" is "most accurate" out to 2200 yards?
    -

18. 284winner

None...buy what makes you feel warm and fuzzy... and makes you happy !!! These which is best comparisons are great for conversation but really dont, in the end, answer what the original question was...ever ! Like asking which caliber is best for deer hunting ? Tons of opinions...no One answer.

brians356 likes this.
  19. kthomas

kthomas

If people think that the best equipment/tools wins the government contracts, they have a serious misunderstanding of how the process works.

It's more like "which one checks all of our contrived criteria at the cheapest price?".

Ledd Slinger and LA50SHOOTER like this.
  20. LA50SHOOTER

LA50SHOOTER Gold $$ Contributor

Brian - The caliber HAS already been proven as per my previous posts on this thread. - Now, its up to someone to "better" it. (With what ever "methodology" that they think can work to do so). - I have some in-depth thoughts on this "methodology" but I'm Not going to discuss them in this thread or this forum. - I will say this:

STEP 1: TEST (The Gun & the Shooter) under real-world conditions at 2000 - 2200 Yards.

Regards, - Ron