Morning calling with son.

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by 5spd, Jan 5, 2018.

1. 5spd

5spd

It was a great morning removing coyotes with one of my kids.
    New ranch we picked up last week & nothing like watching coyotes trot all over the place and not even having to call them. Rancher said they shoot on average 1-2 every day just moving or feeding cows.
    I have to believe that as we counted 21 coyotes from 730am to 11 am.
    All these were spot & stalk in one of the ranches drainages that is full of dead cows at every tree line down there. Many stages of being eaten by birds & coyote.
    We would walk and jump them just about every 200 yards, singles, pairs and in one dead cow spot 5 ran out after my son shot the one he could see. Dang where's my artillery when I need it.
    My 6x6.8 and his 6x45, both with the 55g varmageddon tipped bullet does the work here now.
    [​IMG]

jhopkins, MrMajestic, Immike and 6 others like this.
  2. STRSRLVR

STRSRLVR Silver $$ Contributor

Sounds like you had an exciting morning and nothing like spending some with your kids. Looks like you put a few of them out of their misery too.

3. pacificman

pacificman

Wow great day for sure there! Good hunting and with yer Son...not much better than that my friend!!!:D

4. CaptainMal

CaptainMal Silver $$ Contributor

Reads like you found a coyote homestead.

Dead cows at every treeline must mean something's getting them. Now keep on getting the yotes and having fun.

5. Idaho-45

Idaho-45

5spd, WOW, sounds like a 'dream-come-true'. At least for an avid Coyote Hunter! Not so much for the Farmer/Rancher!!!!! Good Job, & keep up the Good Work!!!!!!!! Idaho-45

6. helmut in the bush

helmut in the bush

7. orbitup

orbitup Silver $$ Contributor

I would think leaving the dead cows would attract more yotes causing a vicious cycle. Great for hunters, not so great for ranchers.

8. 5spd

5spd

This is pretty true IMO also. Not only the ones they leave where they fall due to frozen to gorund they have a gully full of carcasses that I have not even shot over yet they try to drag the carcasses to.
    We watched them come in from all directions last night, makes it tought to pick a spot and wait.

MrMajestic likes this.
  9. rwk

rwk

10. rwk

rwk

What do u use for calling.

11. EBaker

EBaker Gold $$ Contributor

Kill them all....every last one! I hate them vermin...

12. 5spd

5spd

Kitten distress, Guine pig distress, mostly domestic distresses when I call.
    FoxPro call, turkey single reed diaphragm for all kinds of sounds from distress to howls, domestic cat distress & guinie pigs distress on the call.

sean68 likes this.
  13. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

Before my beloved brother passed away we used to impatiently wait for calving season of nearby ranches. At times the coyotes seemed oblivious to us shooting at them. They were looking for a free meal and nothing was going to deter them!! We rapidly got a reputation for careful shooting and results. We had ranchers calling us!! Ahhh, the good old days.

14. 5spd

5spd

This is how I picked up this ranch, another ranch I call/trap on said go see this guy, they have lots of coyotes and I already called him to say your on the way. Last 4 ranches were the same way and all know each other.