Moly for inside neck lube?

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by boltfluter, Aug 11, 2019.

1. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

Hey guys,

What is your favorite kit for lubing inside of case neck for bullet seating. Thinking this will help with my long range shooting sessions as having uniform bullet seating tension is always a good thing. This is not for sizing cases. Only for bullet seating. Any help greatly appreciated.:D:D

Thanks, Paul

2. Bob3700

Bob3700

Paul,
    I dont have a kit. Just use Moly Z powder and a long Q tip to coat the inside of the necks . My bullets are moly coated as well so this works for me.

Bob

boltfluter likes this.
  3. SGK

SGK Silver $$ Contributor

I dip the bullets in Redding Dry Lube. Is this bad?

Do you tumble your cases clean?

Lone Hunter likes this.
  4. Rsadams

Rsadams

The imperial brand....IF you pick it up go ahead and pick up the convenience pack , it comes with the bottle with tiny ceramic balls preloaded with graphite and another bottle of graphite for refills... It should last a long time and you just can't pass up the deal getting it together....

You can use the q-tip method or how ever you want , I use the q-tip and lube the inside of the necks not only for seating but to prevent bullet weld.... I just pulled 800-900 .223 for the bullets that were loaded 30 years ago.... Trust me it happens....

NorCalMikie and Lone Hunter like this.
  5. SGK

SGK Silver $$ Contributor

Yes that is what I use.

I asked the question regarding case cleaning because Boyd Allen had talked me out of tumbling my brass. He said that benchrest shooters didn't bother to tumble because the build up of carbon on the inside of necks led to better accuracy. Interestingly, however, AMP as part of its annealing testing found that not cleaning/tumbling led to inconsistent, rapidly falling, neck tension from one firing to the next (even when the interference fit, brass neck sizing, was constant).

6. PatMiles

PatMiles Gold $$ Contributor

boltfluter likes this.
  7. 243winxb

243winxb

Using Lee case lube & a Q-Tip, bad idea, when used on the inside of the case necks.
    To much lube & a boatail bullet can expand the neck more on 1 side then the other.

No Q-Tips, now using an RCBS nylon brush and RCBS lube..Less is better.

Bushing die, no expander, i still brush/lube the necks.

482023.jpg 479231.jpg

Moly would seem to be a bad idea, unless using moly bullets?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  8. mikecr

mikecr

To begin, you have seating forces and tension muddled together as though same.
    However, they're different/separate things.

As far as consistent seating forces, and consistent seating depths with that, Boyd is right.
    That carbon layer in fired necks is perfect for us. There is no good reason to mess with it.

NorCalMikie and 338 dude like this.
  9. MikeMcCasland

MikeMcCasland Silver $$ Contributor

There's a couple videos of Lou Murdica floating around Facebook of him doing testing with the AMP guys. In a few of them he's using some kind of dry neck lube; anyone know what it is?

boltfluter likes this.
  10. PatMiles

PatMiles Gold $$ Contributor

Just curious, why would moly be a bad idea?

11. rhovee

rhovee

He is using Moly

12. group therapy

group therapy Gold $$ Contributor

not to pea in anyones cornflakes, more than one world class shooter(read that record holder) has told me not to use anything inside the case for seating bullets. I've never set any records or anything but the carbon in the neck goes a long ways and my seating pressure is EXTREMELY consistent and light. please don't get the torches out after me, just my .02:p

338 dude, rwj and boltfluter like this.
  13. tenring

tenring Silver $$ Contributor

Why would you lubricate inside case necks? IMO, that will create inconsistent bullet release. I simply run a stiff brush thru every neck.

14. 1shot

1shot

I clean all my brass with a ultra sonic. As such, the necks, primer pockets and every other surface is perfectly clean. I shoot moly bullets for exactly the reason the OP asked about. For me, the benefits in the barrel are just a welcome side effect. When I seat my bullets with an arbor press, with a force gage, it's easy to tell the difference between a bare bullet and a molied one in a dry case.

@PatMiles,
    How do you apply that product that you posted?
    I hope this helps,

Lloyd

338 dude and mike278 like this.
  15. 243winxb

243winxb

I dont know? Just asking?

If the moly in the neck transfers to a non-moly bullet, will the moly that has transfered to the bullet, then start coating the barrel? ( If moly transfers??)

I would guess not a problem using moly coated bullets?

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a568594.pdf From https://discover.dtic.mil/

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  16. 338 dude

338 dude Silver $$ Contributor

DD9683B9-330D-49C9-B8AA-C6DD634D6F10.jpeg
    I Molly coat my bullets and it is plated technically after being tumbled you can’t rub it off how are you going to put Molly inside to Case neck and nowhere else if you’re just using the dry powder If I was doing that I would try imperial Drive neck lube instead
    I just Molly coat my bullets and forget about the rest using the water method it is not hard not very dirty if the bullet is plated with Molly the neck doesn’t really matter does it. Sorry about the double post I messed up trying to insert a photo

17. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

If you want to do a test seat a bullet in a finely brushed carbon neck and a bare metal neck, sit them in a box together and a month or 2 or 6mo later seat the bullet deeper and see which one has extreme elevated pressure and which one still moves with the same pressure. Its an eye opener. Galvanic corrosion starts the moment 2 different metals are touching and some substances accelerate that.

338 dude and Steve Jennings like this.
  18. 243winxb

243winxb

https://patents.google.com/patent/US4454175A/en?inventor=Merrill+D.+Martin&page=1 Moly.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US6036996A/en

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  19. Baddog0302

Baddog0302 Silver $$ Contributor

Are you saying that moly or HbN would accelerate the galvanic corrosion ?
    Even though I wet w/ SS tumble and then use a vibrator type case cleaner w/ wall nut hulls 1 x LC LR cases I still dip the necks in a pill bottle w/ # 9 shot coated with HbN. Makes drawing the expander ball out a lot easier

20. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Well i dont use any type of bullet coating of course so i dont know all the coatings, but a regular old school black moly coated shiny bullet was the worst. After a year it pegged out the hydraulic and was hard for a regular k&m arbor press and sounded like the press broke when it finally broke loose. I estimate well over 200psi to break it loose

Steve Jennings and jackson1 like this.