moderators and noise pitch.

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by johnmventers398, Aug 7, 2017.

1. johnmventers398

johnmventers398

i have an issue with a mod that shall remain nameless just now. for all intents and purposes is works well enough and reduces recoil but, it is made from stainless steel and has a sharp tone which is rather unpleasant. a regular steel will dampen sound better for a given wall thickness but lacks the corrosion properties.

we all know mods are expensive even here in the uk without the tax stamp and what to us seems like super inflated u.s prices! the top end mod here will cost about 500 USD all in.

any sound guys or engineers know of a tape like material that i could wrap the mod in to dampen the tone? i can think of a few concept products but i don't know what they would be called or where to start looking for them. i imagen something like bitchamen tape or a dense rubber tape?

i have contacted the manufacturer and they are the ones that told me about the resonant differences in the steels and suggested that my ears are just more sensitive to the higher pitch of the ss mod.

john

2. Toolbreaker

Toolbreaker Gold $$ Contributor

3. dskogman

dskogman Gold $$ Contributor

You could try exhaust wrap. It's cheap and made for high temps.

johnmventers398 likes this.
  4. johnmventers398

johnmventers398

so went out and tried the exhaust wrap.. pinged it with my nail and yeah sounded deader.. then i wrapped it in aluminium tape to keep everything from falling apart in the rain and then wrapped it in a few layers of cotton. wen out to test and it completely changed the tone. the over ring is gone completely. all that is left now is the sharp super sonic crack. so i would say job done!

5. spclark

spclark Gold $$ Contributor

Try finding a neoprene o-ring that's got a 1/8" thickness (3 - 4mm in cross-section when sliced) and ID such that it rolls on kinda tight (needs to be stretched a bit) onto moderator's body. Adding one - or more - ought to dampen/alter resonant harmonics.

This side of the pond we're waiting & working for the tax thing to be repealed & moderators made vastly easier to buy & own soon.

6. johnmventers398

johnmventers398

hope it works out for you. they make life so much nicer for all concerned!

aer21 likes this.