MOA dot size for 600-1000yds F-class

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by rardoin, Oct 17, 2016.

1. rardoin

rardoin Silver $$ Contributor

I am looking for feedback on a reticle for mid/long range F-class scope. I will likely get the March 10-60. The dot reticle options are 1/8 and 3/32. I was planning on the 3/32 dot but would like to hear opinions before I pull the trigger.

2. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

It depends on your eyes. Some guys can't see the little ones. I like the one in the Night force comp. If you look it up you can see what size it is. I believe they only have one size in the Double dot. I can see it good and still easily center it on the 3 inch xring at 1000. Matt

Jet likes this.
  3. rardoin

Thanks Matt. I had looked through a NF comp with a DDR reticle and I could find the dot just fine. It is a 0.09375" or about 3/32 MOA. I figured the smallest I can readily acquire through the ocular would be the ticket.

4. Scott Harris

Scott Harris Gold $$ Contributor

I'd go with the larger dot. You can center it in the x-ring. I use a 1/4 MOA dot and like it. The smaller dots can get lost in the mirage. But, whatever works for you.

5. mysticplayer

mysticplayer

Sightron LRMOA at 32X is what I use and prefer.

Whatever that scales out as, works very well for my eyes regardless of mirage level.

YMMV.

Jerry

6. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd Silver $$ Contributor

The dot in the Competition scope reticles is slightly smaller (.095 MOA) than the dot in the NP-2DD reticles in my older NXS scopes. I would have trouble seeing it in the DDR "stand alone dot" type reticle. As I've gotten older, I find that I can very easily lose the NP-2DD dot against the target aiming black early in the morning or in cloudy conditions if I'm not very careful. I recently received my first Competition scope and for that reason, I went with the CTR-2 reticle. My idea was that the fine crosshair actually touching the dot would make it easier to see under low light conditions. Although I haven't received the rifle it will be mounted on yet, looking through the scope leads me to believe the CTR-2 will definitely help me with the dot visibility issue.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  7. rardoin

Thanks to all who replied. I ordered the March with a 3/32 'X' hair/dot reticle. The dot subtends to the same as the CTR-2 that your scope has Greg. My eyesight is still good at 53 so I hope it works as March has a no return policy. If not, I can always do a Cajun fix with a Sharpie on the ocular;):eek:.

8. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

Let me know how that works. Matt

Puzzaz01 likes this.
  9. Catfish

Catfish

I am not a compation shooter, but a field shooter. That said, I much prefer to dial in the elevation. A drop chart is on the scope of each of my rifles.

10. rardoin

The Sharpie? Or the 3/32 dot?o_O

:D

11. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

The Sharpie. That's funny. Matt

Rocketvapor likes this.
  12. Ned Ludd

The Sharpie approach has the benefit that you have several "reticles" to choose from (i.e. Med, Fine, Extra Fine, etc.). The folks at Sharpie were extra considerate of our needs when they designed their marker tips ;).

13. swd

swd Silver $$ Contributor

Damn, and I've been spending money all these years to have reticles changed...

14. rardoin

I think I will patent the 3rd Focal Plane reticle.

Bob L. and JRS like this.
  15. Martin52

Martin52

This is an old post but I am about the make the same decision. 60+ age eyes....how did you go with the 3/32 as that what I am leaning towards....

16. Ned Ludd

I will only add to the resurrected thread that I recently purchased an IOR Valdada fixed 36X42 BR scope to put on a new F-TR rifle. The glass is excellent. I went with the 0.125 MOA (1/8th minute) dot. It's absolutely perfect for my eyes...just slightly larger than the NF 12-42x56 NP-2DD dot, which itself is just slightly larger than the NF Competition dot. IMO - a 3/32 dot is too small for my older eyes; in fact, it's even slightly smaller than the .095 MOA dot on the NF Competition. A 1/8th dot is just about perfect - much like the baby bear's porridge in the Goldilocks story, not too much, not too little, it's just right. ;)

17. johara1

johara1

When you get floaters the bigger the better and plus side big dots are faster...... jim

18. rardoin

I went with the 3/32 and I like it/works well. I do have a few floaters (which have names BTW:D) and the 3/32 is no hindrance. That said I had the option to purchase, used, a scope of the same make with a 1/8 MOA dot. I like it too....splitting hairs (cross hairs to be precise;)). I could see how the 1/8 dot would be more visible with some vision issues but both work equally well for me. As far as the performance of the 10-60x52...they both have served me well and tracking is as perfect as I can detect.

swd likes this.
  19. Martin52

Martin52

Thanks, my eye script is minor at -0.5 dioptre, it is the astigmatism (135) that is the main challenge. So, sounds like a minimum 3/32 and possible 1/8. I think the 56mm objective lens is also going to help.
    Martin

20. rardoin

I did also buy a 3/32 dot/ crosshair 10-60x56 HM for a new build but have not even viewed through it. I am expecting a little brighter image, particularly in lower light conditions.