mirage shades?

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Sniper338, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Sniper338

Sniper338

When you have a load for your rifle, and you add one to your rig, does it change barrel harmonics enough to notice any difference?

Basically, im thinking about getting one to help out in the summer, but dont want one if it will even minutely make a difference in harmonics for some loads i got worked up...

2. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

I don't believe I saw any difference. The stuff I use is really light. It weighs almost nothing. I attack with small Velcro pieces. It might have to do with how heavy of a barrel it is. Matt

joshb and Sniper338 like this.
  3. Sniper338

Sniper338

Sounds good, my barrels are HV and larger... thats the answer I hoped for.

4. LHSmith

LHSmith

Mirage (barrel or range) is caused by large temperature gradients ......it is not just a summer occurrence.

5. dedogs

dedogs Gold $$ Contributor

Mirage can also be caused by "muzzle boil" which is heat coming out the muzzle and becomes more apparent the longer you shoot ( as in a string of shots in competition). A mirage shield will not mitigate this. dedogs

6. Raythemanroe

Raythemanroe Bullet Whisperer

You could always work a load up with a mirage shield.. That question should be answered without being asked, just look down a benchrest line.. Hard to find a gun without one..

Ray

7. LHSmith

LHSmith

^^^^^Exactly. Practice and test with the same equipment, in the same conditions ( at least relatively), as you do in competition. #1/It eliminates a variable #2/ maintains a habit of going to the line with the shield in place vs.the sometimes as needed approach.
    Don't know about "muzzle boil", but whatever cause and effect that phenomenon has, there is little one can do about it. Barrel mirage, however, can very easily be addressed. I agree -it's pretty much a no-brainer.

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  8. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

I believe this is more apparent if you have a muzzle brake. This too can be dealt with. I use a fan. Matt

9. dedogs

dedogs Gold $$ Contributor

+1

10. LHSmith

LHSmith

Thanks Matt, my LR ignorance shows.

11. aj300mag

aj300mag

It depends on what you're shooting, the glue on velcro strips doesn't hold up well on my F-Class rifles. Barrel heat wrecks the stuff.

12. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

I shoot 7 sighters, the last 3 in the last minute. Then I shoot 10 records in a minute. My barrel gets really hot. Matt

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  13. Raythemanroe

Raythemanroe Bullet Whisperer

Like Matt, barrels get hot running 17, 18+ rounds through them in a few minutes.. Let the barrels cool before you mess with the mirage shields..

Ray

14. aj300mag

aj300mag

I was shooting a string this past summer, 25 rounds in fourteen minutes. Towards the end of the string I take a shot and all I could see in my scope as the rifle recoiled was white. The glue on the velcro let go enough to allow the aluminum mirage shield to slide forward just past the end of the barrel. Muzzle blast pushed the shield up to where it was bent 90° in the middle (length) of the shield.

15. sjoliat

sjoliat Silver $$ Contributor

I had the same problem with the velcro tabs moving once the barrel heated up. i picked up some high temp RTV from the auto parts store and glued the velcro tabs to the barrel. Two seasons worth of shooting and the tabs are still secure.

aj300mag likes this.
  16. Outrider27

Outrider27 Gold $$ Contributor

My approach can probably best be described as crude. I use a sunshade on the scope and strap/rubber band a venetian blind slat to that. It works so far...:)

Mike

17. Sniper338

Sniper338

I shoot slow, so summer is when it really only bothers me. yes I do have a muzzle break on most of my rifles. I know what the heat coming out of the tube is, can't do much about that. For years right before I shoot I blow down the side of my barrel to give me a window during the summer... It works... I just have been curious if a shade would keep the window open more... Down here in Texas, the summers its 105+ degrees so it doesn't take many rounds to get mirage. Then the barrel doesn't cool very fast either.. Just something Ive been toying around the idea of.

18. vahena

vahena Bob Schultz Gold $$ Contributor

This is what you need, I shoot F- class 20 shots plus sighters IMG_5836.JPG and in july and Aug the temps are 95 and still hold tight.

foxguy likes this.
  19. D-4297

D-4297

My wife ; ( read "Boss" ) got me some heavy duty Velcro similar to what "Vahena" posted , and it works extremely well . Even at BA in July & August when the temps are 105 - 110 ambient .
    I don't think that a mirage shade has a great effect on ground mirage , per se . But it does have a major effect on barrel heat mirage . You won't find to many TR or Open shooters who don't use them in Az. , even for morning shoots .
    Made my shield by gluing two vinyl window blind slats together for better rigidity and cut to proper length . One thickness was just to pliable .

vahena likes this.
  20. theallcineyes

theallcineyes

Thanks for the simple and straight forward explanation ;)