minimum velocity for expansion

Discussion in 'Big Stuff--7mm, 30 Cal, .338+' started by sbhooper, Mar 29, 2019.

1. sbhooper

sbhooper

I have looked all over and Hornady is closed until Monday. Does anyone know what the minimum velocity for expansion is on the 150-grain, round nose, Interlock? The pointy ones open down to 1800, but I cannot find anywhere that says what 30-30 -type bullets open at.

2. BronzeArcher

BronzeArcher

The round nose does not lower the expansion threshold significantly compared with the spitzer (pointy). You need a hollow point for that. I used to have the manual, and I've loaded and shot that bullet, but I don't recall the threshold exactly, but definitely not lower than 1600.

msinc and sbhooper like this.
  3. MislMan

MislMan Silver $$ Contributor

I don’t know the answer to your query but you may want to checkout the website ‘BallisticStudies.com’ for some interesting test/discussion on 30-30 WCF Expansion, ballistics and such. Look in the Knowledge Base area.

4. chrisj

chrisj Silver $$ Contributor

They will expand down to around 1200 fps. That being said... I wouldn't want impact velocity on a dear or bear with that bullet below around 1500 fps