mini mauser for 6x45 varmint rig????

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by Shawnba67, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Shawnba67

Shawnba67 Silver $$ Contributor

I am trying to sort out a new varmint rig. the 6mm223 is set in stone however the action the barrel and such are being hashed out. I have found an alright deal on a mini mauser and I like mausers especially for hunting rigs. So any way what Im unsure about is whether the additional length of going up to 6mm will make the rounds to long to feed from a mini mauser. Hoping to use up to 100gr hunting stuff no long vld .
    Heres some things i need verified "mini mauser can accomadate up to 2.37 length cartridges"
    if i take the 223 trim length of 1.760 add the length of a 100gr partition 1.065 subtract .243 for the in neck part I get 2.58 that is pretty close to the purported mag length to close to use guesstimate numbers. Does anyone have am interarms mini mauser you could measure the mag box?
    Thanks for any help

2. fredo

fredo Silver $$ Contributor

First, off...sounds like a cool project!!!

If that 2.37" max. length holds true for that action, you should be OK for OAL with most bullets that would work well in the 6x45...

For instance, my 6x45AI (1:8tw Krieger) has .050" freebore, and I'm loading an 87Vmax to 2.310" and an 80TTSX to 2.305". Both of those bullets are right in the 'wheelhouse' for the 6x45's capacity. And by my OAL #s, either would fit nicely in your platform, with some wiggle room to spare. They'll kill the heck outta varmints & deer, respectively, I can tell ya that for certain... :)

IMHO, don't bother with the 95-100+ gr bullets, the 6x45 lobs 'em like watermelons. Stick with the mid-weight 6mm offerings, as they're just a more efficient use of that case capacity. I can load 95s in mine to 2.500", and they shoot & fly well. But to kill stuff, the aforementioned Vmax & TTSX leave little to be improved upon...

Have fun!!!

MrMajestic and JSH like this.
  3. Shawnba67

Are those numbers close to the rifling? Dont want to have to load kissing but want to be able to.
    I dont intend to do much shooting with the heavies, here in Southern Indiana the deer woods rarely present a shot over 100yd I saw a load for 100gr@2690fps listed and thought that will do and kick less to boot. I have some 85gr sgk's also that may get the nod come november

4. fredo

fredo Silver $$ Contributor

.010" jump for both, IIRC.

My 6x45AI throws that 80TTSX @ 2910 from a 22" barrel. 2875 for the 87Vmax.
    Your straight 6x45 will be a bit slower, or not, depending on your barrel length...

5. Kurz

Kurz

I just measured mine and the box is 2.270" inside dimension. So loading should be kept to 2.260" just like any .223 Rem magazine.

I've built a couple of dozen rifles using this cartridge on the Mini-Mauser for depredation hunting on foreign soil. The mid-weight bullets such as the Nosler 85 gr. Partition performed quite well. Currently though, I have switched to the Barnes 80 gr. TTSX which is excellent also.

I can suggest using the Alliant AR-Comp as the powder of choice with this cartridge and the mid-weight bullets. You can also test Re-10x, VVN-130 and Norma 200.

Enjoy!

6. Shawnba67

Thank you very much! sounds like if i pick that rifle I might as well get a 12 twist tube since at a OAL of 2.26 the heavys would be so slow as to not be worth it