MILs: Help a lifelong MOA guy understand

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by HomeSlice, Mar 9, 2019.

1. shoot4fun

shoot4fun Gold $$ Contributor

The Mildot reticle is, apparently, "out-dated" due to all the hash-style reticles popularity these days. It is, no less, a very useful reticle, especially for ranging on a target of unknown distance. I believe I still have one of the Mildot Master tools around here somewhere but I have gone to the hash v. dot in my scopes.
    The math was pretty easy for me as well so the actual switch over was not a big deal. I thought I had everything down before I went to a match with milrad based scopes. Then someone started calling corrections out in MOA. Uh oh. Now I gotta figure that out in my head on the fly.
    Another issue I encountered was, as my MRAD scope numbers grew, converting old MOA data to the new mrad numbers. Then I found this somewhere:
    MOA x .2909 = Mils
    Mils x 3.438 = MOA

So now I can pretty easily take MOA data and apply it to my Mil scope. 10 MOA x .2909 = 2.9 Mil and that is a lot less "spinning the wheel" to get on a distant target. It also doesn't hurt that I was able to convert all my closest shooting buddies to the Mil system too. ;)

2. NV_Dmax

NV_Dmax Gold $$ Contributor

By using the reticle as a measuring device I’m wrong? LOL
    no hurt feelings, either you aren’t understanding the OP or my response or tou are being obtuse.

3. shoot4fun

Sorry. I've read your post several times and it still makes little sense. Yes, I use my reticle to make adjustments for wind but I do not move the reticle to impact and dial back to center. I place the center back on POA AND DIAL TO THE HIT.
    It is true that when reading and correcting your own hits that you need to think in mils alone and not inches. But MOST EVERY target in use is set up for MOA and sometime you just have to put yourself in that frame of mind.
    I am not being obtuse. I am trying to honestly decipher your original post and I guess (even though I wasn't the only one) I just can't read between the lines and know exactly what meaning you had for it.

4. NV_Dmax

NV_Dmax Gold $$ Contributor

ahhh,
    I wasn’t succinct enough in my explanation. The bulk of my shooting is not from a mechanical rest or rear bags. I cannot hold the rifle steadt enough to hold POA and dial back to POI. Hence my comment of belly/bench shooting.

5. Meangreen

Meangreen

Dial elevation. Hold for wind. Hold for a correction.

Drop Port likes this.
  6. shoot4fun

Then I would think this would be your best method.

7. Geno C

Geno C

NV, I picked up what you are laying down.

Say you miss low right. Using the reticle, measure how low. Then dial that amount up. Then measure how far right, the dial that much left to bring it back to center. That works for zeroing.

For active shooting, Miss low right? Hold that much high left. Using the reticle and then invert the measurements

8. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

If you are used to moa stay with it. I have built up my mirage and wind reading to translate to moa. A certain mirage is worth x moa in my head. Mils might as well be Japanese. Tried it and felt blind. I dont see how you could do both well.

9. Meangreen

Meangreen

If you are calling wind intuitively in moa, then it would be Greek to do it in mils. If you are actually applying a formula, then one formula is as easy as another as long as you are accurately judging the actual wind speed.

10. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm Silver $$ Contributor

If we try to use 10% of our brain, we can use either one easily.

Ned Ludd likes this.
  11. Milo 2.0

Milo 2.0 Gold $$ Contributor

Lol, I'm kind of converting to mils, w/o the reticle, I need way more than 10% usage.
    I'm with Alex, if BR or even fclass, why mess with a mil scope. Not that it can't be done, but WHY. Some things just plain work.
    The only reason I am making the switch, is all the guys I shoot with run mils, plus I sponsor and coach 2 young boys, life will be way simpler for them in the long run with mils.

12. Knotwild

Knotwild Silver $$ Contributor

13. Meangreen

Meangreen

I agree. I'm definitely a mils advocate for all field shooting, but if the targets are in moa, I would definitely want the scope to match the targets.

14. Meangreen

Meangreen

That guy has sold a bunch of those. They are really unnecessary though. If you can remember: Target size in yards x 1000 / mils in scope, you can do the ranging.

If you know what wind pushes your bullet 1 mil at 1000 yards (easily found with any ballistic program), then that will give you 0.1 mils per 100 yds drift. If a 6 mph wind pushes my bullet 1 mil at 1000 yds, then a 700 yds shot is 0.7 mils, 500 yds is 0.5 mils, 900 yds is 0.9 mils...etc.

Adjust the base wind call up or down for actual wind. If the wind is double, then double the call, if half the wind then half the call, easy peasy.