Midway Bulk Brass One Short But Starline Exceptional

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by mchees1, Oct 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mchees1

mchees1 Silver $$ Contributor

I have ordered bulk brass from Midway two times now (300 BLK and 6.5 Grendel). Both times Midway has shorted me a piece of brass. Both times I called to see about getting the missing piece of brass replaced and was told they can't do it. I talked to a manager who said the same thing. I know they are filling boxes by weight but they aren't taking into account that cases can vary slightly in weight and when you have a few hundred, all "overweight" errors accumulate and you end up short. You would think they would err on the side of the customer and make sure you get one extra instead of one short. Someone in the shipping department is pulling cases out of a huge box to fill their orders, but they can't pull one piece of brass and put it in an envelope to send to the customer? Very poor service for their mistake.

Starline, however, was exceptional! I called them and they happily sent me one piece of brass at no charge! I guess I need to start going to the manufacturers directly and avoid Midway.

Where do you guys get your brass?

Thanks.

2. garandman

garandman Bolt Gun Bodacious Gold $$ Contributor

I doubt Midway is bagging / boxxing bulk brass. No doubt a supplier does it for them. Hopefully they inform that supplier of your experience. But its not like they can pull a peice of brass from another order and give it to you. I don't know how they'd remedy your complaint.

Honestly... if getting shorted one piece of brass per hundred count were my biggest problem... I'd call that a "win." :)

I've never even bothered counting the bulk brass ordered from Midway.

Or the boxxed bullets from any of a dozen other manufacturers / suppliers.

tmwinds, DirtySteve, GSS and 2 others like this.
  3. ebb

ebb

I am not defending Midway!!! But how do you know as you stated that midway is weighing the brass? If Midway is buying a box of 500 and selling you the box how do they fix this, open another box and then the next customer is maybe 2 pieces short. Maybe starline is packing the boxes and they weighed the box and shorted you? I agree that you bought 500 pieces of brass and you should get 500 not 499. And you should not have to call and beg to get what you have already paid for. But you are blaming Midway with out knowing the facts. That said my satisfaction with Midway's service is way lower than it used to be.

garandman likes this.
  4. Ranger188

Ranger188 Silver $$ Contributor

I'm not discounting that you should get what you pay for but, your already paying for "bulk" brass not fresh off the line
    so your already saying that you don't care as much for this stuff and paying way less for it. I doubt Midway is packaging it.
    I'll bet they're getting it from the manufacture already packaged and turning around and selling it just like the bullet blems.
    If "they" just shorted you 1 piece, I'd call it a day and be good.

Mark W and garandman like this.
  5. SEM

SEM Silver $$ Contributor

Buy direct from Starline, you may have to buy a larger quantity but it is less expensive shipping is included in the price and there count has always been strong on all the brass I have ordered one time there was 5 extra, guess what I did, screwed up 6 reforming it $%*t

Bc'z likes this.
  6. DNorton

DNorton

He bought product from Midway. Product was not as described. Midway’s responsibility to make it right. End of story.

Spook, ToddKS, 300_whisper and 2 others like this.
  7. shoot4fun

shoot4fun Gold $$ Contributor

So, may I ask, when you buy brass or bullets and find an extra piece in the box do you ship it back to where you purchased it?

tmwinds, DirtySteve, GSS and 5 others like this.
  8. garandman

"Bulk" means "ish"

It means "more or less."

It means "sold by weight" not hand counted.

And... thats whatcha got.

DirtySteve and Just Say Moe like this.
  9. Bill K

Bill K Silver $$ Contributor

MidwayUSA. Probably just me, but to worry and fret over one piece of brass is something I will not do.

tmwinds, 300_whisper, Dgd6mm and 2 others like this.
  10. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

Starline don't sell direct unless you have an account and really buy bulk, by the drum,but they will also send their bags for you to put them in. Yes,you have to package it
    yourself.I get a lot from Grafs, have never been shorted and most times have one or two extra in a 100 round bag.

11. Jdne5b

Jdne5b Gold $$ Contributor

You can buy direct right off of Starline's website. In consumer amounts, not just drums.

JimT, Bc'z, Bill K and 1 other person like this.
  12. mchees1

It is standard industry practice to weigh one piece then set the scale to stop at X number times that amount and fill until that weight is reached. Also, that is what the manager told me when I talked to her today. I called Starline to find out if they box small amounts of cases and then sell them to Midway - they do not. They sell Midway lots of 10,000 to 15,000 at a time and Midway does the boxing.

13. mchees1

I called Starline and confirmed that Starline does NOT box bulk brass for Midway. They sell Midway lots of around 10,000 to 15,000 cases and Midway does their own boxing.

14. mchees1

That is what I will start doing. They have such great customer service there is no need to go elsewhere.

15. mchees1

Starline does sell direct to customers. But the smallest amount may be 250 cases. You can order directly from their we site.

16. mchees1

I call them to thank them and they always appreciate the call and say to enjoy the extra brass. If they wanted it and they paid for the shipping I would send it back no problem.

17. garandman

I still really doubt its actually Midway employees doing the sorting / counting. Likely a third party. Its just not cost effective for retailers to do this kind of work.

And Even if it is Midway ppl ... "bulk" means "bulk" .... not hand counted.

18. hottotrot

hottotrot Silver $$ Contributor

Good thing. How'd you like to be that guy. Counting out bulk brass for a living. I'm not sure there's a health plan in existence that would cover the mental treatment.

DirtySteve likes this.
  19. Daveinjax

Daveinjax Silver $$ Contributor

Midway isn’t up top here either. I’ve gotten great service from all the sponsors here that I’ve used. I clicked from here to Midsouth Shooters this morning and spent a couple hundred dollars with them. I click on the links here so they know where their ad dollars are working and Accurate Shooter continues to get their support.

shoot4fun and Jdne5b like this.
  20. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

Great point ...and that reminds me,I owe Lapua 2 pieces of brass . Funny how we forget when things go our way.

garandman and shoot4fun like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.