Methods to sizing 6br

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Cory porter, Oct 11, 2017 at 10:02 AM.

1. Cory porter

Cory porter Silver $$ Contributor

I know this post would be universal to about any caliber but I am going to specifically say 6br because that's what I load the most. The reasoning for the post is I have been waiting multiple videos of well known and very successful shooter from BSWN and their sizing techniques.

First off I want to say I'm still relatively new in the shooting community and have been mentored into using a body die to bump the shoulders back and to neck size. So far the results have been fantastic (for me). But I was kind of shocked when I heard all of these interviews saying they only FL size, they never neck size. So my question is why may that be? And what have you all found success with. Also not for my example these cases only have 3 firings on them.

2. spife7980

spife7980

If you do the bump and neck size separately each time then you are full length sizing, youre just breaking it apart into two steps. Now imagine you combine them into one step and cut your sizing time in half? Thats using a full length die.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017 at 10:37 AM
    gotcha likes this.
  3. gotcha

gotcha

That's the gist of it;)......................... Questions:...... Are your necks turned ? Are you using a collet die? If what you're doing ain't broke why fix it?

4. Cory porter

Redding comp bushing die. Im not really attempting to fix anything just was slightly taken back by all of the fl sizing talk. Also it's a no neck turn chamber

5. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

Hey Cory, I was thrown by that too.

6. Cory porter

I believe he won the bswn f open this year. This video is what made me start looking into it more

gambleone likes this.
  7. BULLET 05

BULLET 05

Well does make sense.

8. Cory porter

It does. That's why I figured I'd post and get feedback

9. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

I've been reading posts here for years and learning as much as I can. I pick up "gold nuggets" of info, now and then. Sometimes one guy's method contradicts another guy's. About 5 months ago, I got a call from a member that told me to forget what I was doing and neck size only. He was very enthusiastic about his methods. I kinda listened with an open mind and put the advice in the back of mind. I could see how it might work, tho I continued to full length size with a bump for my guns, using the 4-9 times fired brass. I just got some new Lapua and Peterson brass for three new barrels and thought out a plan on how to start off using it. I decided to fire, neck size, fire, measure and full length size with a bump. I could probably adjust my FL sizing die to just size the neck, but I bought a set of dies that came with a neck sizer so I used it. Then I saw the video. I was a little "confused" but heck, I'm still learning. What should be made a sticky here is an "agreed upon procedure". Maybe by 75% of the experts? That would be very helpful for us "newbies".

10. Cory porter

I agree everyone has a different way to accomplish a goal. I was always told of you have a brass fire formed to a certain chamber and only use that brass in THAT rifle is best to neck and bump with body die. If you were shooting say prs or using less organized brass it would better to FL.

11. Ringostar

Ringostar

Cory, your body die is full length sizing. What Erik is saying is that if you don't resize the body slightly, it will start to get tight in your chamber. Your just using 2 dies to do what a full length sizer will do.

gotcha, foxguy and Cory porter like this.
  12. Cory porter

I guess I never understood that. Thank you for the clarification

gotcha likes this.
  13. Cory porter

I guess I never understood that. Thank you for the clarification

14. mikecr

mikecr

Well hold on. A body die is NOT FL sizing. It is not always sizing case bodies either, as this depends on the die/chamber combination. Also, A FL sizing die does that. It's designed to size the entire body, shoulder, and the entire neck. So called FL bushing dies, that use Redding/Wilson bushings, are not FL dies. They're body-bushing dies.
    The body die I use with my 6br does not size bodies. It bumps shoulders only.
    I don't remember if it turned out that way, sometimes it has, or if I had it modified that way. But with every cartridge I've reloaded for(in past ~25yrs), I bump with a body die(with zero body sizing), bushing neck size, mandrel neck expansion. At least a few of these body dies were made/modified by JLC Precision for formed cases I produced & sent.

Those who can't do this are probably running huge chamber clearances to begin. This leading to a lot of yielding/expansion in the case(which is also no good for primer pockets). Then, of all the crazy things, they suggest fixing it by recreating it..
    If your chamber suites new brass dimension with little clearance near webs, you have enough barrel steel around that chamber, enough breech support, and you run rational loads(considered safe), you can go forever without body sizing. This does not change the fact of shoulder bumping needs, as that comes down to cartridge design.
    Truly, those who would suggest that FL sizing is REQUIRED, without qualifying this to specifics, are rarely right.

Cory porter likes this.
  15. Texas10

Texas10 Silver $$ Contributor

I tend to go with the "if it fits (chambers) use it" crowd. No need to do anything but neck size however, if you are shooting competitively the last thing you want is a stuck bolt or to lose 10% of your ammo because it won't chamber properly. And I believe that is part of what steers the decision to FL or neck size.
    There are those who believe that a slightly loose fitting cartridge will find its happy alignment position much more readily than a snug fitting cartridge, so bumping back the shoulder slightly is quite important to that method. I only size about 80% of my 6BR no turn neck so that the unsized portion will help center the bullet in the throat, and I bump the shoulder to gain one or two thousandths clearance, in theory to help it find that alignment sweet spot. But I don't shoot competitively, just for fun.

FWIW: When loading for my 223 I never FL size. I use the Lee collet die and neck size only. I have dozens of cycles on my brass, always chambers fine, there no growth so I never have to trim, and runout is below .002. So I see no reason to work the brass more than necessary, IMOP.

16. Richard Coody

Richard Coody Silver $$ Contributor

send 3 pieces of fired brass to harrells and they will pick one of their off the shelf full length bushing dies that best fits your chamber.

closest to custom you can get for a reasonable price

dogdude likes this.
  17. fguffey

fguffey

That is impossible, I have said over and over the shoulder of a case can not be moved back with a die that does not have case body support. I know, reloaders claim they purchases their dies from the same place Jack purchased his beans, and then? I ask for someone to explain how it is possible and or 'how do you do it?' it is about this time they get all potty mouth on me. I called Redding, I suggested they make the instructions more clear, I explained to them how much trouble some reloaders have with following instructions. In the beginning reloaders believed they were sizing the body of the case without touching the shoulder and again? I said that is impossible.

F. Guffey

18. fguffey

fguffey

I said it is impossible to bump the shoulder back, I said it is impossible to reduce the length of a case from the shoulder to the case head with a die that does not have case body support. And then there are 'bumpers', they think they are talking in lofty terms when they use 'bump' and 'case head space' in a response; and then there is tension, not one bumper has a conversion from tensions to pounds.

F. Guffey

19. Webster

Webster

Your doing fine don't change anyting.
    Are you sure it's a body die. I have a 6BR Norma and use a Redding die labeled 6mm Rem B/FL OT. It's a bushing die. I have reloaded about 5K rounds with it. The rifle shots better than my ability. If your happy with the results your getting don't worry about what others are doing. You will get at least ten different opinions on what's correct on this websight. The best short range shooters in the US FL size with custom dies made from 3 cases fired their chamber. I never shot a group over 1/2" with a good load in my 50 YO varmint rifle with custom barrels.

20. divingin

divingin

The Redding (I think it's sold as their "Competition Die Set") comes with a body die, a bushing type neck sizing die, and a seating die. I have the kit, just waiting for the rifle to get done at the smith's.