MEMORIAL DAY -- Family Members Who Served

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Paula Marie Hamilton, May 26, 2019.

1. Paula Marie Hamilton

Paula Marie Hamilton Gold $$ Contributor

My dad had me late in life, but he was a hell of a man. World War II, & Korea. Bronze Star ( put in for silver, but awarded Bronze with Valor). Purple Heart. Every major battle except invasion of N. Africa, but he did fight there against Rommel, Spearheaded Omaha Beach, Battle of the Bulge. Even liberated a Nazi Death Camp in Czechoslovakia. So you get the picture. So here is to all the people who have fought to give me the sacred right to speak my mind. Thank you for your service.

20170528_172612.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2019
    fultonbig9, SPJ, doorgunner6 and 23 others like this.
  2. ShootDots

ShootDots Gold $$ Contributor

Without a doubt, the WWII generation IS as it is proclaimed, "The Greatest Generation"!

Dgd6mm, jbarnwell, Snuggie and 9 others like this.
  3. Damfino

Damfino Gold $$ Contributor

I'll just add a little story to the above. Some years ago while working as a Veterans Service Officer in Alabama a fairly small, dignified, older man came into the office and wanted a Battle of the Bulge car tag. I told him I needed to see his discharge paper which he then gave me. The discharge was his original and indicated that he had joined as a private in 1943, his unit was part of the Normady invasion, he was wounded in the Battle of the Bulge, received a silver star and was discharged a captain in 1945. This was very impressive to say the least, but the best part was written in the narrative section of his discharge by someone who clearly valued understatement and knew what was important; it simply said, "Led men in combat."

snert, dc.fireman, Snuggie and 8 others like this.
  4. New Gun

New Gun Gold $$ Contributor

Thank you to all that have served you have sacrificed for the freedoms we enjoy today!

Don likes this.
  5. DirtySteve

DirtySteve Gold $$ Contributor

God Bless Him and Men Like Him..... Everyone have a safe Memorial Day.

6. varget204

varget204

If it was not for the WWII Veterans,you would be speaking German, IF you had been allowed to live----.NO DOUBT,The Greatest Generation

jbarnwell and Don like this.
  7. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

There were some real badasses back in those days.

jbarnwell, Snuggie and Don like this.
  8. KMart

KMart Gold $$ Contributor

Very true. And, unlike today, they had no fear that after they disposed of the enemy, they would be tried and convicted of murder. Times have changed.

snakepit, jbarnwell, Snuggie and 4 others like this.
  9. foxguy

foxguy Gold $$ Contributor

Thanks to all of those who have served.

Don, mike06 and kneedtospeed like this.
  10. Don

Don Gold $$ Contributor

I am without words .
    Humble.

11. Forum Boss

Forum Boss Administrator

My father served in WWII as a combat engineer -- Went in with North Africa, Sicily, and South France (not Normandy) Amphibious Assaults. My Uncle served in the Navy in both Atlantic and Pacific. In the So. Pacific he was a radio expert at PT boat bases and knew JFK very well. Many of the background events in PT109 book involved my uncle Ed, who passed at 100 years of age this April.

12. theallcineyes

theallcineyes

So beautiful, Thanks for sharing.

13. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Don't criticize the farmer with your mouth full. Gold $$ Contributor

14. hunter67

hunter67

Well if it wasnt for the Military I wouldn't be writing this as my Grandfather was from Holland and spent 4 years in a forced labor camp. After the war my grandparents and dad and uncle came to USA.
    When the coalition forces liberated Kuwaiti City in Desert Storm we were watching it on TV and my grandma said to my dad that it was just like yesterday when the Canadians came to our town in Holland.
    Now I have served as well as sons daughters nieces and nephews as the pride of the USA is very deep in our family.

God Bless to all.

New Gun, Snuggie and hogpatrol like this.
  15. Bugs

Bugs Gold $$ Contributor

Again, slightly off topic but the featured speaker at the Memorial Day service that my family attends each year was a Lt. Col. Karen Kramer, USAF, who spoke about her several tours in Afghanistan. Col. Kramer's background was/is public health and she spoke at length on being attached to an Army unit in Afghanistan that was able to establish a clinic that served several mid sized Afghan villages. This was a fascinating talk on hundreds of people in Afghanistan who didn't even know what basic health care was before the U.S. military arrived. It just saddens me that these kinds of success stories aren't even mentioned by the CNN's of the world. . . . Rant over.

16. billlarson

billlarson "Hold Into The Wind" Gold $$ Contributor

Thank you.... my father served in WW11,one brother US NAVY another ARMY and I volunteered for 4 years USN..
    Proud to have done it,and would serve again if old people are needed.It could come to that someday...
    Bill larson

17. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

My grandfather, father, and his brothers, (my uncle's) and us brother's all served. It was just expected of us. I can still hear my father saying, "you have to give back".

New Gun and Snuggie like this.
  18. fyrewall

fyrewall

My Grandfather - target for Nazi U Boats, a screw up might have cost 100's of lives.

19. nicholst55

nicholst55 Brass Whore

My father was a Seabee in WWII in the Pacific. He was sitting on Okinawa on VJ-Day, as part of the impending invasion of mainland Japan. He expected me to serve a minimum of one enlistment in the military; I served for 20 years on active duty in the Army, and another 11 (so far) as a civilian employee.

20. TIMO

TIMO Working on it???

My Dad in Korea, this photo was taken sometime during 1950 to 1952.

Thank you to all who have served.

Tim

Attached Files:

• WLA.jpg
      WLA.jpg
      File size:
      128.6 KB
      Views: