Melonite question

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by PAshooter20BR, Apr 15, 2019 at 2:12 PM.

1. PAshooter20BR

PAshooter20BR

Is there anyone out there who can take my melonite(salt bath nitride) bolt and cut the knob off and thread for a badger knob?

Thanks
    Brandon

2. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew

Which action? Being melonited is not an issue so anybody that can thread bolts can thread it

3. mikeeg02

mikeeg02 Michael Glantz Gold $$ Contributor

Kelblys told me that nitride takes surface metal to a Rockwell 60 hardness if I remember correctly. I tried to use a new, sharp deburring tool on an action once, it put grooves into the deburring blade, and didnt touch the action.

You can cut it with carbide, but if you get aggressive you may shatter it too. I think to thread a bolt handle knob, you'd have to grind the surface coating off before trying to thread it. Maybe the average machinist may know these things, but I know kelblys cautioned me about it.

Not saying it cant be done. Just making sure the warning is understood.

4. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

Melonite is case hardening of about .0003" thick. Get below it and you're good to go.

5. 243Lapua

243Lapua Gold $$ Contributor

My bolt handle on my HS Precision rifle had the bolt melonited And when the gunsmith tried to thread it on the lathe it broke of the bolt. Had to be brazed back or soldered. Threading the handle had to be done on a endmill. Gunsmith did tell me that HS bolts are hardened.

6. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

20190415_182022 (2).jpg Assuming it is a remington I do it for $50 including shipping. I do it a little different, I create a shoulder for the knob to thread up against.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 8:43 PM
    nmkid, Don, HillbillySniper and 6 others like this.
  7. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew

Ive threaded melonite barrels, fluted them, rechambered them, fluted bolts, opened up dies and all sorts of other operations on melonite. Been messing with it since it hit the scene and joel kendrick ran the first batch of barrels. Trust me youll never know its there when machining. Like butch said its not even a half thou thick. If somebody had issues with it- it wasnt the melonite that did it. Send it on over to carlsbad- he knows the secret to machining it too. We dont know which action it is yet but if he has the fixture itll take the exact amount of time it would if it was in the white. Its for wear resistance and its a surface case hardening. It doesnt transform the steel to a super metal.

carlsbad likes this.
  8. PAshooter20BR

PAshooter20BR

9. HillbillySniper

HillbillySniper You miss 100% of shots not taken Silver $$ Contributor

10. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

Victor, I sure wish that you had it micro-tigged instead of braze-solder.