Match Ammo 22lr Ammo vs Regular 22lr Ammo ?

Discussion in 'ELR, Ballistics & Bullets Board' started by schooner, Dec 2, 2017.

1. schooner

schooner

Hi Guys (Newbie Here)
    I'm just getting started with benchrest target shooting and I'm finding it to be a great sport. However, being very new to all kinds of ammo can you please tell me what's the differences between Match Ammo vs Regular .22lr Ammo?
    Prestley shooting my wonderful CZ 452 Rifle and firing CCI Standard. I'm still testing it.

THANKS GUYS :)
    GOD BLESS YOU ALL
    schooner :cool:

BIGDOGTNT likes this.
  2. steve_podleski

steve_podleski

consistency shot to shot and even within a brand, lot to lot can vary and barrel to barrel. So you need to test what is best in your rifle

seymour fish and mikeinct like this.
  3. DOGCAPPER

DOGCAPPER

Get a variety of ammo. Stay with subsonic with velocity between 1040 and 1080 fps.
    Popular stuff is SK standard plus, Wolf Match and some of the same in pistol match.
    Just for kicks try Lapua center X, Federal Ultramatch, and Eley 10X.

dkhunt14 likes this.
  4. schooner

schooner

THANK YOU GUYS, I APPRECIATE ALL THE IMPORTANT INFO.
    schooner

5. perry42

perry42

In addition to the above try Lapua and Fiochi bi-athalon and winter match ammo my Anschutz and BSA International like both of these. I just acquired some Wolf match and have not fired any yet.

perry42

6. retired

retired

in 22rf it is about THE LOT. if you find a lot that shoots buy a bunch.
    most likely the next lot will be different

22BRGUY, Outrider27 and USMCDOC like this.
  7. seymour fish

seymour fish

Amen, deacon !

perry42 and hpshooter like this.
  8. USMCDOC

USMCDOC Silver $$ Contributor

Just ordered three bricks of test ammo

9. Gary Wiant

Gary Wiant

You don't need to order bricks of ammo until you figure out what shoot. A 50 rd Box is more than enough.

Bart B. likes this.
  10. USMCDOC

i am testing lots for three rifles

11. trader steve

trader steve

My 452 does the best with rws match.steve

12. rkittine

rkittine Gold $$ Contributor

When finding out what ammo my RF Benchrest Rifle liked to eat, I contacted the guy I buy Lapua and Eley Match RF Ammo through and got his inventory list. I bought small amounts, only from lot numbers he had large inventories of, went to the range, did my testing and then bought volume before he had sold out.

Bob

Lightload and USMCDOC like this.
  13. Bart B.

Bart B.

A bit of recent history on 22 RF match ammo.

Virtually all the 50 and 100 yard NRA outdoor prone records shot in the late 1970's still stand. Best lots of its ammo then tested 2/10 MOA at 50, 4/10 MOA at 100. Barrel lives were 50,000 or more rounds. Then after Eley had a bad (deadly) problem in their primer mix and insert facility, every company changed their primer formula and added more glass frit.

Now, it's not easy to find stuff that'll shoot under 1/3 MOA at 50, 2/3 at 100. Barrel life dropped to 30,000 or so rounds.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  14. SteveOak

SteveOak Silver $$ Contributor

This is the best way to find out what works best or perhaps good enough for your requirements.

To answer your question in a general sort of way, the difference between match ammo the regular stuff is process control and sorting. For the successively better grades of ammo, more care is put into the manufacturing process and components are sorted. After the ammo is manufactured they shoot it in their benchmark guns and sort it by the results.

For your CZ 452, there is a limit to how well it will shoot, regardless of ammo. Enjoy shooting it to the best of your ability and when you find that the rifle is the limiting factor, find one that shoots better. There are many good used rifles that will take you to the next level.

15. SteveOak

SteveOak Silver $$ Contributor

Here is a 30 shot group at 50 meters from an Anschutz 1907 with Eley Edge.

It is 0.496" center to center and 18.3mm, 0.720" outside to outside.

Edge test results page best 30 shot group 2.png

314.8 is the aggregate score on a 10X target.

Eley Edge is not their 'best' ammo but it is adequate for my needs. In fact, I shoot Eley Club most of the time but I am not shooting where the results are measured like this. If I hit anywhere on the target it is a 'hit', score 1, otherwise it is a 'miss', score 0.

I bought the Anschutz 1907 barreled action from Killoughs. They were offering a free ammo testing service with either Edge or Tenex with such a purchase so I took advantage of it. I can post the results or all ten lots tested if anyone is interested.

16. polebilly

polebilly

Yes Steve, I would be very interested in seeing those results.

pl

17. T-shooter

T-shooter

I chronographed some Remington Golden Bullets. The velocities varied 150 to nearly 200 fps. The faster shots were about 1,250 fps. Good for plinking, no good for any kind of accuracy.

18. 1911mag

1911mag Silver $$ Contributor

I went thru same dilemma last year, decisions decisions. I could buy all knife different lots and test or determine to send my BR rimfire rifle to Eley or Lapua test chamber and let them do the work for me. Now some opinions are ammo from test chamber is different to real outdoor shoots. And I agree it is different. My reasoning is if it will not shoot in ideal conditions it will not shoot in the wind. I am no expert by any means but have the guidance of a well know rimfire marksman named Hawkeyewizard on Rimfire Central and he has taken time to pass on very good knowledge. If you look at ARA equipment list this last year you will notice Lapua made an strong showing at Nationals. Should be interesting how 2018 pans out

19. rkittine

rkittine Gold $$ Contributor

Now that I have the optional mike for my Labradar to use with my RF rifles, I am also going to do some velocity testing.

USMCDOC likes this.
  20. USMCDOC

Oh and Gary,

Lapua will only send out bricks from a lot.. no single boxes or a brick of mixed single boxes to test for a good lot.. that is what i am now told is the order of the day via Kathy at Good Shooting Inc.. hence the reason for ordering three bricks.. i ended up choosing one of those test lots.. and ordered two cases of the same lot..