Marks on brass - safety issue?

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by mchees1, Dec 26, 2019.

1. JSH

JSH

What does the chamber look like?

A chip doesn’t usually leave that good of a profile. Stranger things have happened.

2. 47WillysGuy

47WillysGuy Gold $$ Contributor

I'd brass polish or 0000 steel wool the marks to see if they can be removed. If an abrasive won't remove the marks, then cut one case in half with a dremel and visually verify case wall is not separating. And if you still have concerns about those cases, then I'd send all cases back to the manufacturer for replacement.

3. Gina1

Gina1

Question... This picture you have posted, did you run your brass through an ultra sonic cleaner and then take the picture ?

damoncali likes this.
  4. MNbogboy

MNbogboy

Knowing what incipient head separation rings have looked like in the past as a shiny ring at the forward part of the pressure cup, usually approx. 1/4" or so from the back of the case.
    Visual inspection is part of each reloading routine.
    These do not seem to fit that description. And your "paper clip" test probably verify that.
    I have been stumped with rings similar to yours on several occasions. Turned out to be some sort of stain (or lack of stain) from using/leaving the plastic factory cartridge strips that are often used in packaging factory ammo. I use them on the range sometimes, in the field hunting and often between reloading process.
    When I first saw these odd rings out comes the paper clip test (have a dedicated tool for this made with a re-formed tip on a screwdriver). Negative test....took a long time to figure it out and no they did not wipe off. 0000 steel wool gone!
    Just something similar to the ammo box marks that other mentioned. But these seem to be caused by the plastic itself without vibration. Could be from case lube when confined... not sure.
    Just a thought because of the random height.

5. jds holler

jds holler Gold $$ Contributor

This situation is obviously a segmentation, in the creation of the amalgamation. :cool: jd

butchlambert and Dusty Stevens like this.
  6. grovey

grovey

I concur.

Steve Ladino likes this.