Marine Tex

Discussion in 'Advanced Gunsmithing & Engineering' started by tclaunch, Apr 22, 2017.

1. tclaunch

tclaunch Silver $$ Contributor

I am new to Marine Tex, as I refuse to buy another pound of Devcon, when the company refused any help replacing harder that had gone bad. Are there any here clean up the top lines of the stock immediately while it is still very soft, or give it set up time. I have seen bedding jobs that the bedding looks very nice where it meets the action. I have been using a q- tip, and it looks satisfactory, I'm ready to kick it up a notch as I know there are many ideas here on the proper way. I use q tips because a buddy visited Kenny Jarretts shop, and that was his tecnique.

Rustystud and Bradnobbe like this.
  2. WayneShaw

WayneShaw

Sure, use a wood stick to get the bulk scraped off, then use either a piece of paper towel or q-tip to wipe up the rest. A little WD40 on the q-tip works good.

3. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

Marine tex is the way to go, less shrinkage and so much easier on cutting tools. A q-tip and either rubbing alchohol or acetone. Both are solvents for wet epoxy and can also be used to thin the epoxy as well. I clean up all excess epoxy off while wet. No tape on the stock or action, just clean it off while wet. If you clean it down to the stock line it will suck in as it cures and be low. If you want a perfect line you'd want to leave it a little high and sand or file it down to meet the stock line. I get my stocks without any cuts, after the action is inletted I bed it, then make the cuts for the bolt, ejection port, trigger, and tang angle.

Dgd6mm likes this.
  4. WayneShaw

WayneShaw

I use the WD 40 so there is no chance of harming the stock finish, whatever that may be. The late Mickey Coleman suggested it, and it works good.

5. paperpuncher

paperpuncher

Does it matter if you use the white or the grey?

6. Daveinjax

Daveinjax Silver $$ Contributor

Yes , grey is much stronger although the white is probably strong enough. I'm not looking at a box but going off memory the grey is about 13,000 psi while the white is around 8,000 psi. White sands much easier if you are patching gouges in a fiberglass hull and is plenty strong. The grey is really hard and hard to sand but machines well. Too much catalyst is worse than too little as too much will make it weak and may not cure at all if way too much.

7. tclaunch

Very helpful and informative, sure appreciate it.

8. tclaunch

The wet q-tip was a great help. I always used them dry, it was a big difference, thanks to all.

9. Preacher

Preacher Silver $$ Contributor

The only problem I've seen with Q tips is that they will leave a dip in the bedding.
    I like to use tongue depressors cut flat at the end to scrape away the unwanted..
    That will leave a nice flat edge....

tclaunch, NickB1075, dmoran and 2 others like this.
  10. Danny1788

Danny1788

I use chop sticks with a nice square edge to scrape away the excess bedding while wet, I have used the WD-40 before but I much prefer to use a nice square edge to get it right up against the action. I haven't noticed it shrinking much at all, the first time I used it I didn't weigh it out and the marine tex came out way to brittle. Now I weigh it on a scale to know I getting the right ratio.

11. nicholst55

nicholst55 Brass Whore

The grey also takes stain much better than the white. I've used both and had to add a LOT more stain to reach the same color that I got with the grey.

12. centershot

centershot Silver $$ Contributor

Do you put the stain in the mixture or stain it after it is hard?

13. mac86951

mac86951 I prefer my targets level and unmoving

14. ebb

ebb

Try vinegar to clean up the marine tex it will surprise you.

Ggmac and LHSmith like this.
  15. jsthntn247

jsthntn247 Silver $$ Contributor

Don't have your Q-tip soaking wet with wd-40 when cleaning up stock lines while the bedding is soft. Excess wd40 will run down between the action and stock and look like ant tunnels in the bedding when its hard.

16. LarryDScott

LarryDScott Site $$ Sponsor

Richard Franklins stock bedding video is a must see.
    He doesnt spare the Q tips. Picture perfect bedding.
    LDS

tclaunch and Dgd6mm like this.