Making 6XC from 6.5 Creedmoor Brass. Anyone doing this?

Discussion in 'Big Stuff -- 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 Cal' started by Hengehold, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Hengehold

Hengehold Silver $$ Contributor

I would like to use Lapua 6.5 Creedmoor Brass to make 6XC. I looked at reamer prints and it looks like I will have to trim some length off the neck but should otherwise be an easy process. Anyone else doing this?

-T

2. spclark

spclark Gold $$ Contributor

Should work fine Trevor.

I started making 6XC from Lapua’s Palma brass back when it first came onto the market. It’s not easy (parent case way too long, brass at shoulder too thick to leave unturned) but it CAN be done and the results are well worth it.

There’s a batch of 6.5 Creedmoor cases I started working with, still sitting on my bench; Peterson came up with their product about the same time Rhode formed the Palma Alliance. When I took the pledge of allegiance I set my 6XC aside, haven’t touched those cases since.

3. mikeeg02

mikeeg02 Michael Glantz Silver $$ Contributor

4. Milo 2.0

Milo 2.0 Gold $$ Contributor

I addressed this on your SH post. Figure your trim up front, use a non bushing die and new brass. Just labor.

5. Milo 2.0

Milo 2.0 Gold $$ Contributor

6. tomswede

tomswede

Peterson available in LR or SR.

7. mikeeg02

mikeeg02 Michael Glantz Silver $$ Contributor

My bad, I didnt realize they were out of stock!

Milo 2.0 likes this.
  8. KMart

KMart Gold $$ Contributor

9. Hengehold

Thanks for the links to Peterson brass. I am using Peterson 260 brass to fire form in my 6.5SLR. Everything seems to be fine with it so far. I read a post somewhere that Peterson had made a batch of brass (don’t remember cartridge) that had primer pockets that were something like .0005 too small so the shooter had a hard time fitting primers in the case and could not fit a primer pocket uniforming cutter into pocket also. I have not run into that issue myself but and would be willing to give them a try in 6XC. At $70/100 I suppose it does not make sense to make brass from a Creedmoor case.

-T

10. spclark

spclark Gold $$ Contributor

Pretty much true, yes.

When I embarked on a project to make 6XC from Lapua Palma, all there was was either 22-250 formed up to fit - but all brands' having large primer pocket - or the Norma stuff D. Tubb'd commissioned (LRP also) that I'd found wanting in primer pocket life duration even with what I considered relatively mild loads.

A goal was to determine if the small primered Palma brass offered any advantages to case life first without having any adverse effects on other aspects we strive for, like predictable accuracy. Too, if it proved worthwhile, at that time it seemed as though availability wouldn't be as much of a problem as what I'd seen with the Norma product.

Past couple seasons I haven't shot 6XC at all (favoring center with 308 Palma ammunition exclusively in competition) but once I'd labored thru that first batch of 100 cases I never looked back.

11. Hengehold

I have used the Norma 22-250 to fireform before 6XC cases were commercially available. Since Norma 6XC Brass has come onto the scene, I have used it exclusively to shoot 1000yds with the 115 DTAC and H4350 (2960fps in a 30” barrel). I never experienced any primer pocket loosen problems.

It makes me cringe to think about how much time it would take to convert 308 to 6XC.
    -T

12. Catfur

Catfur Silver $$ Contributor

I reformed a bunch of Starline 6.5 CM brass to 6XC, it wasn't hard (even if the end result didn't work out as hoped).

13. Hengehold

What was wrong with the end result? Any issues with the brass?

14. Catfur

Catfur Silver $$ Contributor

Lower velocity than desired, ejector stamps at loads that work fine in Lapua brass.

The heads seem soft, but made from an alloy that hardens quickly. I took one case and fired it again and again (as a sighter at matches) to see how long until the primer pocket was too loose. The primer pocket got pretty loose, but has stopped getting looser and also stopped showing ejector marks.