Magnum bolt face

Discussion in 'Big Stuff -- 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 Cal' started by anseitz, Jan 21, 2006.

1. anseitz

anseitz

Question to you all is what would be recommended to change out from 7mm rem mag to ? seeing that I have a magnum bolt face or can that be changed in order to accomodate a better benchrest caliber? Maybe a stupid question, but I'm new to the game.

Andy

2. SF340Driver

SF340Driver

I think you will find most of the BR cartridges run with a PPC or 308 boltface. Your bolt can be modified to fit a smaller cartridge. Getting a new bolt is another option.

3. dantec

dantec

belted case can be very accurate but you always stay in big water capacity, smallest easy to use / accurate is the 6.5 REM mag

or you can use a WSSM case 6.5/25 WSSM or 6.5/25 WSSM is close to a 260 REM

with a SAKO extractor you can extract 308 case on mag bolt face but caution to SAKO extractor modification always choose the smallest in size, the Tubbs 2000 is perfect on REM bolt

6BR

4. M700

M700

Seems to me it was only a few years ago that a good old belted 7mm Rem mag won a big 1000 yard BR match. I don't remember which one or where. Pennsylvania I think? I'll bet JB1000BR knows! :)

As I recall it was with Berger 168's "soft seated" into the lands. The belted magnums can still perform.

On the other hand, I've seen some really promising results from the newer short mags, which I believe share the same bolt face. You might want to consider the 7mm WSM, which would seem to have even better accuracy potential than the older stlye belted cases. The big capacity cases only make sense for competition at long range. Otherwise there is simply no point in burning that much powder and living with that much blast and recoil simply to punch paper.

FWIW, Guy

5. anseitz

anseitz

Yeah, I definitely will consider the 7mm wsm, I too have heard good things, don't know why I thought any different, will it shoot ok in the M70 long action?

6. Wild_Bill

Wild_Bill

Hi i would stick with a 7mm there are a few options you could go with and 1 factory 6.5 belted that would work.
    The 6.5 would be the 6.5 Rem Mag a few shooters have been using it for 1000 yards with the belt turned off so you could use it with the belt if you like a 6.5 option.

The first 7mm would be the 6.5 rem mag necked up to 7mm this would give you an equivelent to the 284 win and i and others are having verry good results with cases around that capacity. The next option is just rechamber it to 7mm Rem mag as you have the dies and know how to load for it. Then there are the two 7mm short magnums i prefer the design of the Remington but match brass isnt available for it but you can buy 500 Rem cases and batch out 200 and then sell the rest or you could form some WSM Norma cases to 7mm RSAUM as some have done but i would not go that route. The final that would probably be the best option is a 7mm WSM and use 175gr Sierra's and Norma brass also use H1000 and try Retumbo both work verry well.

Cheers Bill
    Australia