Magneto V3 chronograph Any thoughts ?

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by Bobbyboy6br, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Bobbyboy6br

Bobbyboy6br Silver $$ Contributor

Hi all just wondering if anybody has any experience with the magneto V3 chronograph I was thinking of purchasing one for my shooting needs

2. jr600yd

jr600yd

Get it you'll be pleased

3. New Gun

New Gun Gold $$ Contributor

I am looking at this one myself. Hard to beat the price for a good chronograph.

4. Wingnut00

Wingnut00 Silver $$ Contributor

Buy one. They are great. Love the hell out of mine.

5. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm Silver $$ Contributor

I have the V2. If it ever goes south on me or I accidentally dummy out and shoot the bayonet I will pass up buying parts, if available, and go straight to the V3.

6. Papa Charlie

Papa Charlie Silver $$ Contributor

I have the Sporter, it works well but one thing I have noticed is that the POI will change when it is mounted on my rifle. Have not been able to have the same POI no matter how I adjust it. But when I am doing development, it reads accurately.

7. Blowby

Blowby

Love mine. Can’t beat load development data from the V3.

8. kwtolman

kwtolman Silver $$ Contributor

After a great deal of research, I broke down and bought a MagnetoSpeed V3 just a couple of months ago. Becasue the bayonet hangs on the end of the barrel, comments in various forums about a potential impact on point of impact and group size, caused me some concern. However, I made the decision to give it a go. In my case, using it on a heavy 30" target barrel, I found no discernible change in either POI or group size at 100 yds. However, when I shot at 400 yds, the POI was high one MOA still without a discernible change in group size.

It is convenient, accurate, consistent and I would buy it again in spite of the extra money.

9. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm Silver $$ Contributor

I have a V2, well satisfied.

10. Bobbyboy6br

Thanks I know what I’m getting for Christmas thanks again

11. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

Had the original, the second iteration and now the third. It does what it's supposed to do, efficiently, record bullet speed.
    If you check other threads on the Magnetospeeds, and there are many, you'll find many anecdotal downsides to its use, barrel harmonic interference, barrel bending, group size enlargement, scope fogging, poi moving left, right, up, down, to someone else's target, trigger finger twitching, drooping eyelids, hair loss, premature aging, acne and ED. :eek::rolleyes::D

MrBottleneck, muleystalker and Dgd6mm like this.
  12. fyrewall

fyrewall

I shot up my Chrony and fixed it up with coat hanger wire but missed the tripod holding it, now I don't have to look for wire coat hangers and worry about my tripod. Having the Magnetospeed should provide velocity data enabling me to input it into MS Excell to perform all sorts of data manipulations. Possibly, I might fashion a removable bayonet stud on my rifle barrel to facilitate mounting the device.

13. willbas

willbas

14. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

15. willbas

willbas

here is the video I may need a longer rod.

16. kapt

kapt Silver $$ Contributor

I have the sporter since all I really needed was speed and not a lot of whistles and bells. I have had Crony's and Oleher's all sold now. The Sporter with the cell phone attachment allows me to send shot data to my email for later review as well. Does what I need.

17. Bobbyboy6br

Thank you