magnetic gun rack??

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by nated, Sep 17, 2017.

1. nated

nated

I'm looking for a magnetic gun rack for the truck fender and side of the safe. I don't see one with high reviews on google, amazon, or midway USA. Do you have one you like or have you made one you are happy with? Include pictures of homemade. I'm thinking of taking angle iron and dipping it couple of times in that grip polymers stuff. Many thanks,

2. thekriebles

thekriebles Silver $$ Contributor

3. nated

nated

I see, thanks Sir.

4. bobm

bobm Silver $$ Contributor

I did a home made one using scrap wood and strong neodymium magnets. They some how got stuck to my lunchbox from a place I used to work at. Made a rod holder, too. You will not find these magnets at the local Ace Hardware, though. I put thin rubber sheet on the back to prevent marring of the paint, and patches to hide the epoxied in place magnets. That is a 6.5 CM for size reference. DSC02260.JPG DSC02261.JPG DSC02262.JPG DSC02263.JPG

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    boltfluter and thekriebles like this.
  5. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

Bob,
    Other than stuck to your toolbox, where would one find such magnets?

6. bobm

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  7. divingin

divingin

8. Prairiedogger

Prairiedogger

9. nated

nated

Once again mucho thanks to all!!

10. Texas10

Texas10 Gold $$ Contributor

Got an old computer laying around you intend to scrap? The hard drive will have two extremely powerful magnets. Just be careful when disassembling. You get those two close to each other and they can really lay a hurt on you if your fingers get in the way. Don't ask how I know....

11. Forum Boss

Forum Boss Administrator

bobm --

Q: On your rifle rack, do the magnets just hold the rack to the gun safe sidewall... or do they work to capture the barrels as well? It might be nice to have some magnetic "grip" on the barrels.

12. bobm

Hey Boss, the magnets were epoxied in flush with the back side of 3/4 "wood. The square pocket hole was cut through. 1/16" thick rubber sheet separates the magnet surface from the painted steel cabinet. This also created much appreciated non slip tack, too. The barrels are not attracted to them at all from a couple inches away. There is one on each end, none in center. The barrel cut outs are leather lined.

13. nated

nated

Copy that Bob. many thanks,

14. zolt

zolt

NEVER EVER EVER lean a rifle, shotgun, fishing rod or anything else against a vehicle.

Sooner or later you will know why!