M1 value

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Pheasanthunter, Jul 10, 2018 at 9:40 PM.

1. Pheasanthunter

Pheasanthunter Gold $$ Contributor

I have been asked by my aunt to help sell my late uncles guns.the one I do not know how to price is a 30cal M1 Winchester there are papers where he purchased it from the civilian marksmanship program in 1999 but no purchase price. There are several 8rd clips for it also. Any help would be appreciated.

2. gtl1946

gtl1946 Gold $$ Contributor

What you’ve got is a very collectible M1 .Do NOT loose the papers as they are part of the story and value of the rifle. Without going through EVERY part and making sure they are proper to the Winchester model it’s impossible to put a value on it. It’s going to take a respectable and knowledgeable collector to put a value on this one. Be careful who you ask as they have to know their “stuff “ !!! I used to collect M1’s but I’m not your guy to put a value on it . Send me your phone number and I’ m CST and retired .

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018 at 10:19 PM
  3. mongo chicago

mongo chicago

When it was DCM they were bought for $165.00. They could be sold for a lot more. Winchester receivers usually bring a premium for some reason. Don't really know why as they had tons of problems when they started making them. It probably has been arsenal rebuilt at least once if not several times, so it won't be all original as it came off the assembly line. Best guess without checking the drawing numbers on the parts or the condition is about $1,500.00. Some may say a lot higher as it has been awhile since I had collected them.

KevinThomas likes this.
  4. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

Ive always wanted an m1, but the hundreds you can buy for $800 still seem high

5. Dans40X

Dans40X Welder

The IHC-International Harvester's bring a higher premium if all is correct over the much sought after Winchesters.
    As previously mentioned $1200-$1500 is going rate for an M1 Garand rack grade piece of US history.

Let your fingers do the research-
    GunBroker.com to see what the current market value is.

joshb likes this.
  6. Pheasanthunter

Thank you for the help and sharing your knowledge. I wlll do some more research.

7. m1jeff

m1jeff

Contact these guys, they’ll be able to help you:

Garand Collectors Association
    http://thegca.org/

snert and KevinThomas like this.
  8. Papa Charlie

Papa Charlie Silver $$ Contributor

I own a Winchester M1, the values vary depending on many things including the stock and the markings on both.
    Unless a rifle was never issued the chance of all parts being from the same manufacturer are slim and even less original. Rifles that were issued and saw service were turned back into the Armory every time a soldier came off the line. Those guns were evaluated and either issued or disassembled and rebuilt from bins carrying multiple mfgs parts
    The CMP also disassembled most rifles before selling them and replaced parts to ensure that the rifles were useable. Most, with the exception of very few are rebuilt again with bin parts from many suppliers.
    The value, for a rack grade would be between $600 and $1000, if in service grade condition from $1200 to $2000, special grade could go for as much as $5000.
    If you send me some detailed pictures, I could help guide you as to where you might fit. If you include all but the last two numbers in the serial number, i can tell you when it was produced.
    Another good source of information is the CMP forum. Once you have a value, the collectors on CMP are a great resource to sell to with confidence.
    If you like we can talk more over the phone.
    Patrick

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018 at 2:24 PM
  9. Intell

Intell

I have an old one, by the numbers it was built before WW2, may of 41 if I remember right. It's in what I think pretty good condition for an old rifle. My dad bought it for $350 and it came with 2 bandolier of black tip AP on clips, and some other ammo. Those deals don't come often. There is a big swing in price, by numbers and brand. Mine is a wall hanger anyway, I haven't fired it for close to 10 years.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018 at 4:34 PM
    Taildrag15X likes this.
  10. GotRDid

GotRDid

As an avid Garand Collector/restorer/CMP Volunteer Armorer, I suggest you contact Tim Shufflin http://shuffsparkerizing.com/
    since he is somewhat local to you in Michigan.
    He is a wealth of information, and likely to already have a waiting list of potential buyers for your rifle at a fair price for you, no matter the correct parts, or overall condition.
    He is an Honorable Man.
    GotRDid.

snert likes this.
  11. Pheasanthunter

Thank you for the info.

GotRDid likes this.
  12. Pheasanthunter

13. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

i can't beleive no one else asked...what else is on the docket to be sold?

Taildrag15X likes this.