Lyman M5 Scale Magnet Help

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Freddy5, May 27, 2019.

1. Freddy5

Freddy5

I recently purchased a Lyman M5 scale on Ebay. The scale is in very good/excellent condition. I decided to clean the scale. In doing so, mostly for curiosity sake, I unscrewed the magnet keeper that is mounted to the base. When I did that the two magnets dropped out along with one metal tab. The tab is attracted to the magnets. Now I have no idea where this tab goes in relation to the magnets. Does anyone know?

Attached is a picture.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. powderbrake

powderbrake Gold $$ Contributor

Maybe it fits behind the magnets as some sort of keeper. Is it bowed to hold the magnet in place? I would expect two of them, not just one.

Bc'z likes this.
  3. Freddy5

Freddy5

If it's some kind of keeper, then I have no idea on how it works. The metal tab is not bowed. Yep, just one tab, that's it. It appears that the magnet keeper has never been tampered with. There's no evidence of disassembly.

4. flyingbrass

flyingbrass

5. Freddy5

Freddy5

Thanks for the link. "Could it have been on the far side of one of the magnets to serve as a spacer?" I was wondering about that that too. Both of my magnets appear to be the same size. However, if you look at my picture (post 1) it appears the right side of the keeper has a larger cavity than the one on the left. Maybe the spacer is for the the side of that larger cavity. It could be an illusion in the picture. The keeper was slightly angled when I took the picture. I'll have to look at it tonight when I get home.