Loving the 221 Fireball I built...

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by Lefty Trigger, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Lefty Trigger

Lefty Trigger Gold $$ Contributor

Got the barrel in early this week and finally got it head spaced and bolted in a stock. I don't like the stock its in but it will work till the new one arrives. Made up some rounds using Lapua brass, 52gr ELD's and Accurate 1680 powder with Rem 7 1/2 primers. Loaded these to just a flat 17.0 grains and went to the range today to break in the barrel and get her zeroed out, each group is 10 shots. These was the first groups fired out of it at 100 yards. Right now with only 30 rounds fired and no load development its a 1 MOA shooter. I ended up with 4 rounds left and went over to the 200 yard line and fired those last four. First round was 5 inches low, cranked up the dial then I was 1.5 inches high, turned down a tad and the last two went through the same hole at 200 yards! Making more rounds now with some 40gr V-max to play again tomorrow...

22 fireball 1.jpg 22 direball 2.jpg

2. stacy

stacy 2 TIMOTHY 2 VERSE 15 Silver $$ Contributor

SOUNDS LIKE YOUR ON TO SOMETHING YOUR GOING TO LOVE IT !!!!

3. LitLBoy

LitLBoy Silver $$ Contributor

CFE Black and 40 grainers!
    LitLBoy

4. Bill K

Bill K Silver $$ Contributor

You might me even more amazed at how the 24 grain NTX and a load of AA2200 is both accurate and explosive.

5. 500yards

500yards

well sadly the round seems to be dieing in popularity. though there is no telling whether it will come back or not, people have beeni think the 45 colt has been on the way out for years.
    the cartridge itself is another .22 cal rifle with a little less umph that the .222 and thus less than the .223.

6. Rick in Oregon

Rick in Oregon

Dying in popularity? Best not let Lapua know then, as just trying to find 221FB brass can sure be trying. Then consider the FB posts here and elsewhere....dying? Not so much.

It's one of the most fun rat calibers to ever come down the pike. So much so, I just had to have TWO of 'em! :D

7. Evan

Evan Gold $$ Contributor

Only in commercial ammo and guns, but by that metric a whole host of cartridges could be considered dead, including the 6BR and 6.5x47L. No I agree with Rick; the 221 Fireball is here to stay. It has a huge following and a whole host of wildcats based upon it.

8. Lefty Trigger

Back to the range today with more loads using 40gr Nosler ballistic tip and CFE BLK powder. Shot this test at 200 yards and was quite impressed. I had one batch at 20.5 that was just weird, group opened up by a huge amount and the ES/SD was off the chart? I must have screwed up something making the rounds but not sure what or how? Next test is at 300 yards and if it does well there its my new match rifle. Now I need to find somebody to make me a barrel the way I want it...

IMG_20200223_142040_7.jpg

Otis284 and Evan like this.
  9. Evan

Evan Gold $$ Contributor

I bet a single shot in that big group was 100fps away from the others, dragging all the stats with it. Doesn't take much with these little cases: 0.2gns probably would do it.

EDIT: I was talking without thinking too much. based on your groups there, we can surmise it takes about 0.5gns to move 100fps, and that 20.5 group looks pretty scattered. Do you have shot by shot speeds for it?

10. Lefty Trigger

No, without thinking I cleared the screen on the Labradar but based one that ES they was all over. Not sure what I did with that load since the 20.8 came back around. I had a friend video my shooting and after watching it I'm pretty sure those groups would be better if I would stop yanking the gun all over the place, clearly I need to work on my shooting skills more...
    I think I'm going to load up some more at 19.6, 19.7, 19.8 and hit the 300 yard line on Thursday if the weather holds out.

Evan likes this.
  11. Evan

Evan Gold $$ Contributor

Blame it on the long winter. We all need to get the rust off!