Louisville Kentucky? ???

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Bojo, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Bojo

Bojo

Any members her live in or near Louisville Kentucky?
    I'm looking for real world feedback on living near there, as I'm thinking about relocating for work there from Erie , Pa.
    So go ahead and let it rip everything from crime to cost of licenses to available shooting ranges.
    Please and Thank You !!!!!

2. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

Overall, as good sized cities go, Louisville isn't bad. But, if you can possibly live outside of the city proper, I'd much prefer that. Get as far out of town as is practical.. and it's whole different world. Louisville residents don't like to admit that they live in Ky and Ky residents wish that most of them didn't! Lol! I haven't been there but I know a couple of people that have...but there is a 100(at least) yard indoor range in Louisville that is supposed to be very nice. Maybe someone will respond with firsthand experience of it.

Sure, there are some really backward places and people in the sticks but it's not like tv portrays....mostly.o_O
    Ky is a fine place to live and is pretty inexpensive in terms of cost of living. The state is one of the most gun friendly places to live in the US. The southern part of the state is where I live...about 20 minutes west of Bowling Green.

3. dickn52

dickn52 Gold $$ Contributor

I was born in a small town in Kentucky named Harlan. People are honest and work hard at being friendly...until they aren't. Louisville is south Indiana to us. Do live outside the metroplex if possible.

4. TAJ45

TAJ45 Gold $$ Contributor

Born and raised across river in IN. Here for 33 yrs, coastal SC for 34 now back abt 40 mi N of Lou. KY in IN.
    School system of Jefferson County was labeled as Educational Suicide by the state head, Super, whatever.....if you have chilluns. W end of Lou is NOT the place to visit, much less reside.....very colorful w lots of caps popped weekly. Watching the 11 o'clock news, wife and call it the nightly body count.
    Depending on where you work, it may be that S. IN may be more convenient for commuting. Several new bridges but a $2.05 one way toll. Or possible to juke around with two older non toll bridges on the down river side to get to downtown.
    If "culture" is the way you and the wife roll, Cinncinati is 90+ mins upriver and is known for that.
    PS Lou is going to build a septic tank in the heart of the East side, 55 million gal, $200 million and it will be vented into the Ohio River.....I have no ideas where the laterals will be. This just hit the news this week. A lot abt that I don't know.
    A lot less traffic going into the county from the N. (IN). I make several A.M. rush hour runs a month.
    Lots of industry, plenty of job ops it seems. COLA not high.
    IN does NOT cap sales tax on vehicles. That HURTS, paying full 7% .

TIMO likes this.
  5. TAJ45

Several good gun clubs. Mine is S IN, go to 500 w electronic tgts for F, sling, Garand, Vintage Sniper. Also Varmint matches plus an active Bullseye pistol group w an annual Perry participation. Several F boys are on the Berger Natl team.
    Pistol shoots are inside, 50' 2x wkly and at the covered, concrete outdoor 2x monthly in the summer.
    I go to 700 on my place, plus speed steel and like shooting visitors. :)

TIMO likes this.
  6. Shawnba67

Shawnba67 Silver $$ Contributor

Central Indiana High Power Shooters have bi monthly 1k yard f class at Camp Atterbury about 2 hr north of louisville.
    A very nice pistol club in Sellersburg In just across the river. Called Silver Creek i believe.

7. TIMO

TIMO Working on it??? Silver $$ Contributor

Not too bad. Taxes are higher, as well as fuel prices. I do not have school age kids, so I will not comment on the school system. A lot of good people, all my neighbors are friendly and and I trust them to look after my house when out of town. There are parts of Louisville that has a higher crime rate. Not sure of the current homicide rate, but you can check it out. Lived here since 2005, not as bad as some places that I see on the news. Most of the local politicians are Democrat. So we have a lot of feel good programs and such, the mayor says it is to draw in new business' and generate income. Only problem is he wants to tax the average resident more and give a tax break to everyone else then not spend the money where it supports all the community members. Just my thoughts.

We do have a nice club and range, so that is a plus. Plenty of places to spend your money, (not on shooting) stuff.

Welcome if you decide to move this way.

I have shot at the ranges and clubs mentioned above, they are great. A great bunch of shooters.

Tim

GotRDid likes this.
  8. INShooter

INShooter Silver $$ Contributor

I would suggest living in Southern Indiana as opposed to the suburbs of Louisville. The new bridges make the commute fairly easy. I know my friends in Kentucky won’t agree with this suggestion but trust me on this one.

GotRDid likes this.
  9. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

Know why ky doesn't fall into tn?...Because Indiana sucks! ;)

Just kidding but I was in real estate for a few years and I would disagree overall, but you're right, I'm biased being a Ky resident. Louisville is nothing like the rest of the state, though.

As a former REALTOR, yes, it's supposed to be all caps, I'd ask the potential buyers wants and needs, then point out the pros of both sides of the river. If cost of living is a big factor, in Louisville and Jefferson county, home prices are generally higher but overall cost of living is a bit lower. Get out of Jefferson county Ky and the home values are pretty comparable. Ky schools are pretty good and their teachers rank highly in terms of pay, which brings the better teachers into the state vs surrounding states. There is no tax on food and the law was recently changed regarding tax on labor/services. They made it more complicated than need be but generally, if the installer furnishes a part for your car, for example, tax is charged on the part and the labor. If you furnish the part, there is no tax on the labor. Some services are taxable now and some aren't. Again, too much too type here but something to consider. Utilities are considerably cheaper in Ky and health care is generally better but there are exceptions.

Talk to a REALTOR on both sides of the bridge. If possible, one that is licensed in both states.

I can't say much about living in the city on either side as I wouldn't want to do it on either side. But that's me.

GotRDid likes this.
  10. TAJ45

Oh yeah, if you like rock n roll shooting, there is Sumner's world renown Machine Gun Shoot. Knob Creek

Don, GotRDid and gunsandgunsmithing like this.
  11. gunsandgunsmithing

Actually, Ky is a hotbed for UBR and IBS matches BR. Although UBR has taken over for the most part in this area. More accurately, southern, Ky, Tn., and western, Va. I think I can shoot a UBR match every weekend within 3 hrs of home and more to the east. Tn has at least 2 new and very nice ranges and very nice range in Bristol, at Kettlefoot. On top of at least a couple more that shoot long range. I can't recall which side of the va/tn line it's on but iirc, Tn.

I'm very blessed to be living in a shooter's paradise.

There is a nice range Near Evansville In, Red Brush Rifle and Pistol or something like that. Pretty nice place.

12. GotRDid

GotRDid

Depending on where your potential employment may be, I suggest you seek a residence near the fringe of that Jefferson County sector. Commuting in Greater Louisville’s roadway infrastructure is problematic given how far behind the civil planners are due to the above mentioned reluctance of Fischer to spend the money. He has focused on symbolism over substance programs and community outreach efforts to the detriment of the overall public safety. Constitutional Carry should take effect by early July here, so at least Governor Bevin is starting to chip away at the fiasco of the last 50 years of the Democratic fiefdom KY has become.
    Likewise, Jefferson Co. schools are equally troubled by incompetence and are resisting the proposals put forth by Bevin to repair the damage and return the Teacher’s retirement system to solvency for the future.
    You might consider living in one of the surrounding Counties (Oldham, Shelby, Spencer, Bullitt) or indeed in Southern IN as now there are four ways to cross the Ohio River and tolls are not prohibitive even for daily commutes with a “Fast Pass” ( just make sure you make the minimum number of crossings to get the discount).
    The underground Containment Reservior will hold flood and sewer overflow until it can be safely treated later during the dryer months of our seasons here.
    Most of all the surrounding Counties have all levels of the amount of “Country Living” you could desire with major conveniences closeby.
    There some private outdoor shooting clubs here, and several indoor operations as well. If you don’t mind an occasional drive, there is KY Gun Co’s Indoor range as well in Bardstown. You will be close to the bi-annual Knob Creek Machinegun Shoots.
    I’ve just hit high points, and others will likely help where I have failed to paint a fuller picture.
    I am not a KY native, but I got back here as soon as I could.
    GotRDid.

TIMO likes this.
  13. TAJ45

Education: Floyd County/New Albany, just west & adjacent to Clarksville, Jeffersonville/Clark County is at or near the top Education wise.

GotRDid likes this.
  14. Bojo

Bojo

I grew up dirt road and am pretty happy living country but have only resided in the east side of my county my entire life. I'm 42 now and my job is rocky now to say the least and am wanting to gain employment in one of the major railroads doing locomotive diagnosis / service /repair .I shoot at Ridgway Pa now in thier monthly VBR shoots but am only going into my 3rd year and am still very much a rookie. I really appreciate all the input.
    Tennessee also seems to have quit a bit of opportunities for locomotive work as well.

15. TIMO

TIMO Working on it??? Silver $$ Contributor

GotRDid,
    Yes....

Bojo,
    I worked at CSX as a conductor for 5 years here in Louisville. Last year I gave it up, tired of being laid off and too many crazy hours. Liked the work & pay otherwise. CSX, not sure if they are hiring or not, last weekend, run into a co worker from CSX and he just gave it up after 12 years, said he could only hold the extra board. Have a friend that is an engineer with the NS, haven't talked to him in a while. There is also the Paducah & Louisville R.R. and across the river the LIRC R.R. as well RJ Corman here in KY. Just some options.

Tim

GotRDid likes this.
  16. Bojo

Bojo

I'm more interested in the service shops.
    I've been at GE locomotive production plant here in erie for 13 years and WABTEC just purchased GE transportation so I am now a WABTEC employee and am not warm and fuzzy about future in Erie.
    Have really been contemplating relocation for a couple of years... I too have heard the horror stories about the conductors and engineers extra board nightmares.I am an auto tech by trade for the first half of my working life and have no desire to go back to it in the erie climate both physically with all the rust and economically with the way erie is run as too few families own all of the dealerships.

17. Boyd L.

Boyd L. Witty comment under development Gold $$ Contributor

It’s a difficult proposition to project factors that may make someone else happy, so take everything with a grain of salt.
    Jefferson County Schools do have a reputation for being more centered around keeping teachers happy rather than meeting all kids’ needs. That’s a teachers’ union thing. If your children are above average and capable they’ll be successful. PM me if you want to discuss this topic more.
    You say you’re a dirt road kind of guy. There are surrounding counties (which are smaller in Kentucky than most states, except for those in eastern states) which provide rural settings, so commuting into Louisville proper is pretty quick (relatively speaking). Likewise there are those that provide more suburban lifestyles.
    The area (south and north of the river) has many shooting opportunities of various types. Unfortunately the state rifle and pistol association (of which I’m a member) suffers from a lack of focus and as far as I can tell has gone underground in the past year. But as I said shooting activities abound.

Come on over. We treat our neighbors well in this part of flyover country.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    GotRDid and gunsandgunsmithing like this.
  18. ebb

ebb

My cousin work his whole life in the locomotive yard in Chattanooga Tenn. Might want to check it out.