Looking to balance ammo cost and recoil, with high accuracy.

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by GetMore, May 7, 2018.

1. GetMore

GetMore

This is likely a strange one for you, please bear with me.
    First of all, I am basically new to the shooting world. What I don't know would fill volumes. What I do know isn't worth typing.

I work on rifle scopes, and we have some customers that complain about the point of impact shifting. I am looking to be able to test these scopes, so I want something that will give a bit more kick than what the average shooter will have, without costing too much to shoot. I guess I'd also like to be able to test a few scopes in a day, so I don't want to be too sore from it either.
    I need to be accurate enough to know that the shot spread is due to the scope, and not the rifle or ammunition. (My abilities are a whole 'nother story. I am far from competition ready.)

I'd like to get your opinions.

Thanks!

2. simo hayha

simo hayha

3. Toby Bradshaw

Toby Bradshaw Gold $$ Contributor

You don't test scopes for POA shift by shooting groups, you use a scope checker. There are various threads on this site (generally in the Competition forum) describing scope checkers and their use in testing scopes for POA shift.

GetMore and simo hayha like this.
  4. jr600yd

jr600yd

Contact Alex Wheeler. He’s a boat load of info.

5. Falfan2017

Falfan2017

308 or 3006 is probably your best recoil per dollar of ammo.

6. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

go buy a 30-06 or 300 win mag from walmart under $400 and start testing

7. HTSmith

HTSmith Silver $$ Contributor

A fellow that shoots at our range shoots a 30BR. He works for a scope company whose products have done well in the tests done on this forum. The one ragged hole 5 shot groups usually end the complaint. I do agree that one of the scope checkers would be a efficient way to do it.

Steve Ladino likes this.
  8. GetMore

GetMore

A scope checker for checking scopes? That is so awesome! And obvious. It hadn't occurred to me to try searching for something like that. I feel like a dunce.
    Toby, I thank you greatly for including a link as well.

I especially like the fact that accuracy is irrelevant to the testing. It sounds like a cheap, lightweight .308 will give the best bang (kick) for the buck.

Thanks guys!

Zero333 likes this.
  9. sdean

sdean Silver $$ Contributor

A cheap, lightweight .243 would kick "you" a whole lot less!! And still be enough to check a scope.

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  10. GetMore

GetMore

Sdean, the problem is that it needs to provide something of a torture test.
    Of course there are SO many variables that it isn't funny. It is about the same as any other "what bullet" question. A couple weeks ago I was shooting .300 Win Mag and there was so little kick anyone could have done that all day. The rifle was a nice Griffin & Howe with a compensator. If I was to use the Blaser R8 .270 it would kick a lot more.
    I believe that the kick it gives the shooter is directly proportional to what it gives to the scope. There are sure to be some other factors that I don't know about, but that's another post worth of questions.

I do believe you are right about a light weight rifle being important for this usage. The weaker barrel will probably help as well, by having more whip.

11. scubohuntr

scubohuntr

Find a Ruger #3 in .45-70. :D

12. ratbuster

ratbuster Silver $$ Contributor

30.06 produces plenty of recoil to test a scope for poi shift. If recoil is bothersome you can put a sandbag between the rifle butt and your shoulder.....you'll be able to shoot all day long and not feel a thing.

13. ebb

ebb

No No No. If you want to test a scope get a Remington ADL in 300RUM. Light weight and lotsa recoil. A 243 to test a scope you gotta be kidding me, a BSA could last forever on a 243.