looking for the best tripod for fclass so I can look thur when shooting prone?

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by Performance Shooting, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Performance Shooting

Performance Shooting Silver $$ Contributor

looking for the best tripod for a spotting scope for f-class so I can look thru when shooting prone? and where to buy one....Thanks for your help

2. swd

swd Gold $$ Contributor

Check out Buggy Gear.

muleystalker likes this.
  3. rardoin

rardoin Silver $$ Contributor

Ray-Vin with their outrigger. I already had a Giraud (which is very nice) and added the Ray-Vin outrigger and am very happy. Like Loreal'....expensive but worth it. You won't find better.

Edit- The Buggy Gear looks really nice and has some great options.

4. _Raining

_Raining

I had to make this decision a bit ago, I went with the Creedmoor polecat. The problem I see with the gear buggy is that it is 1 and 1/4" poles. So if you don't like the head then you can't switch to a RayVin, Polecat or Eliseo. I do plan on purchasing a RayVin outrigger for my polecat. I do not have experience with the RayVin, Eliseo or gear buggy stands/heads so I can't give a comparison to the polecat. I just kinda eenie meenie miney moed it because they all had good reviews with a bunch of people liking one over the other but nothing stood out as the best. My advice would be to go to a F Class match and ask people to try out their scope stand setups and see which one you like, or be anti social like me and just pick one and hope you like it. I can say that the polecat was a bit awkward for my scope because it was not balanced around the mount point (Vortex Razor) so with one tension setting it would be difficult to move or just flop forward. To solve this I got an adapter that allowed me to move the center of gravity straight over the head and now I have it set so that I can adjust the POA but not have it flop forward or backwards.

5. Performance Shooting

Performance Shooting Silver $$ Contributor

I was leaning towards the polecat myself...and will be getting the Vortex Razor, what adapter did you have to get for it?

6. Damfino

Damfino Gold $$ Contributor

Another vote for the http://gearbuggy.com stand. Very solid, stable and the owner, Wayne McLeod, is a great guy to do business with.

7. _Raining

_Raining

Performance Shooting likes this.
  8. muleystalker

muleystalker Gold $$ Contributor

I have a BuggyGear and it is sweet! Very well built and very stabile. The 1 1/4" poll adds a lot to the stability and the Head is very well designed and functions great, there will be no need to change it. It is a lot stouter than it looks in the photo's on the web site. It is a lot more stabile than a lot I have looked through.

Damfino likes this.
  9. Richard Coody

Richard Coody Gold $$ Contributor

10. Ringostar

Ringostar

11. Richard Coody

Richard Coody Gold $$ Contributor

sorry about that.
    get you a golden eagle and you won't need a spotting scope

12. milanuk

milanuk Team Savage Gold $$ Contributor

[​IMG]

ckaberna and XTR like this.
  13. XTR

XTR

I currently use a Creedmoor 3/4 stand and head. I've used it for yrs. I have a Polecat head, and don't like it or use it. The whole thing comes loose when you turn the knob. I found it to be a PITA to try to set up on the line.

If I get in the mood to spend more money again on it I'll get an Eliseo. If I had it to do over again, I'd have gotten the Eliseo the first time.

14. Bob L.

Bob L. Gold $$ Contributor

You can also get the Gearbuggy with a 1" pole. A friend of mine has one and uses an Eliseo head with it. It is plenty stable. I used a Polecat head and stand previously and didn't like either one. The legs and the head both would exhibit looseness. I now use a Rayvin F class with an Eliseo head. My next stand will be a 1" Gearbuggy.