Looking for some scope input

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by HandgunHTR, Jul 9, 2018.

1. HandgunHTR

HandgunHTR

Hey all, I am going to be purchasing a Seekins Havak in the near future and I want to put some good glass on it.

This rifle is going to be my 300-800 yard hunting rifle, so I am looking for more of a hunting reticle vs a target one. Really not interested in one of the "christmas tree" reticles.

14 to 16X would be the highest magnification I need.

Budget is right around $1000.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

2. Clancy

Clancy Silver $$ Contributor

Nightforce SHV with an MOAR. Sure not a Christmas tree but you’ll need the windage marks to hunt ethically.

Viper PST GEN 2s have a lot better glass than the gen 1 and we haven’t broken ours yet which makes it way better than the gen 1.

Burris XTR II is another good choice.

3. McGraw

McGraw

Brownell’s has thevx5hd 3x15 44mm with windplex reticle.$810, has lockable elevation turret. It’s a Leupold.

4. HandgunHTR

HandgunHTR

I am not a big fan of that reticle for a hunting application. I like the look of the scope, but I think the B&C reticle would be better for what I would be using it for.

I have a good rangefinder and will dial in the adjustments prior to the shot, so I really don't need to have all the extra mil dots and windage dots on the reticle.

Thanks for the input!

5. McGraw

McGraw

Yes, I understand. The duplex and wind-plex are $90 cheaper than the other reticles,windplex is the only one in stock is why I mentioned it.

6. slm9s

slm9s

i've been meaning to check out the vortex and leica 3-15...

7. sawcarver

sawcarver Silver $$ Contributor

Burris Veracity (capped turrets) or XTRII (exposed turrets) would work well.

Leica ER5 is super clear, plex reticle and capped turrets if that's more your style

8. South Prairie jim

South Prairie jim

Handgun
    For a nice hunting rifle I suggest you take a hard look at Ziess HD5 series
    Excellent scope! At a fair price
    J

9. bsekf

bsekf

Just finished sighting in my son's Leica LR5 with the German 5 reticle. Using it as a varmint and night coyote rifle. It is a very fine scope. No bells and whistles, just excellent German glass.

Bill

10. JRS

JRS

Look through as many as you can and let your eyes decide.