LOOKING FOR SOME HELP ON HIGH STANDARD 103 CITATION

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by cardman5448, Sep 23, 2018.

1. cardman5448

cardman5448 Silver $$ Contributor

i purchased a High Standard 103 Citation from an estate sale. It came with a factory wooden box and all the things you see in the picture. I was curious as to why the number on the slide and the number on the frame are different. It this normal or has someone interchanged some pieces. I paid $400 for it. Seemed like a low end price to me. Any info you could supply as far as serial #s and value would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      1.4 MB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      1.8 MB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      1.6 MB
      Views:
    GotRDid likes this.
  2. velocette

velocette Silver $$ Contributor

GotRDid likes this.
  3. 243winxb

243winxb

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    GotRDid likes this.
  4. 243winxb

243winxb

5. 243winxb

243winxb

My 22 Short kit did not have a serial number any where. Its a 1970's vintage. Sold it on Gunbroker.
    The slide is aluminum and was modified to also fit on a Victor. Didn't work well, accuracy wise, using the Victor barrel. This was because of different twist rates in the barrels. 22 Short High Standard 4.JPG 22 Short High Standard.JPG

GotRDid likes this.
  6. GotRDid

GotRDid

I shot the Rimfire portion of 2700 style matches with a 103 in the off season while shooting for an Army Combat Pistol Team way back when.
    Always wanted one just for the nostalgia, and made a trade deal about 10 years ago with a Buddy who was lusting after one of my Garands. He sent a couple of pics, and I was elated at his proposal; deal was struck. It has aftermarket grips, but not a deal breaker for me. Fast forward a month later when I was showing it off to another HS fan and he showed me that I had a Model 104 instead. (How does one not realize that?!?) No matter to me as it is nearly identical except for the space gun style brake and longer bbl. She is a dream to shoot and I may actually have done even better in my trade than originally expected.
    Love this series.
    GotRDid.

rr2030 likes this.
  7. GotRDid

GotRDid

243WinXB, looks like my 1.436 million was made mid-1964.
    Many Thanks for the link.
    GotRDid.

8. jps2486

jps2486

Those made in Hamden, CT are the best. Subsequently, the company changed hands and the manufacturing was transferred to East Hartford, CT. Those had some quality issues. The frames were subject to cracking on the slide rail adjacent to the safety cutout. Later, the company was sold again and I've lost track of it. I think they were made in Texas.

mongo chicago, mikeinct and GotRDid like this.
  9. GotRDid

GotRDid

JPS2486,
    Yes, I believe they were then made under the “Mitchell” brand.
    I got to shoot a stainless variant that a club member was playing with just after they were released and it was a well made and accurate pistol. Not sure how long they were made, though, as I rarely see them at shops or shows.
    GotRDid.

10. mongo chicago

mongo chicago

If I remember correctly, once they changed hands you couldn't get spare magazines to work in them.