Looking for input on Roy Hunter Custom 6mm bullets

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by Attrum, Jan 1, 2019.

1. fly spec

fly spec

I went to the 1st 600yd shoot, I'd ever seen shot, yesterday at Piedmont. I had attended
    my 1st 1000yd match in November at Hawks Ridge and left excited since I didn't fall on
    my face.
    I finished 2nd(light gun) and 3rd(heavy gun) group, both with my 16lb-15oz gun, built
    by Dave Short Customs on a Roy Hunter long range stock.
    After having strewn a few bullets
    off the target at Hawks Ridge in the heavy gun shoot-off in November, I was not about to
    click into the wind at Piedmont, so my scores were not at all impressive, but my groups
    made me feel a lot better, with an 8 group agg under 2 inches(my 1st ever 600yd match).
    Not that Roy wants me to be his poster child, I must admit his bullets work, as this was his
    103s only to learn that Tony Rogers who shot lights out on score was using his 106s, that
    are supposed to be better. He only makes bullets to help alleviate chronic back pain( that's
    his story). I'm happy and I think Tony shot his scores with a short range stock( also a Roy
    Hunter stock)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    LRPV likes this.
  2. Roy H

Roy H

Tony was at Hawks Ridge as well with his short range rig he only shot light gun and he won.after seeing results from Piedmont must be something in the water down there all you guys are tough, good shooting .

3. 1shot

1shot Site $$ Sponsor

Got some 103's to evaluate/test in my BRX. The bullets are as close to identical as my measuring devices could read. In other words, if you measure one, you measured them all.
    I picked 4 loads the worked well with 105's. and one gave me what you see in the pics.
    Took them to a 600 yd. Mid-range match and shot the highest score of my life. 597 with a sack full of "X".
    BTW, I'm a sling shooter.
    I hope this helps,

Lloyd

Attached Files:

Kevin57, Rope2horns, dmoran and 2 others like this.
  4. jimmymac

jimmymac Silver $$ Contributor

Got to love a little burned up hole like that. Great shooting.

5. 1shot

1shot Site $$ Sponsor

Thank you. If I had any bench manners at all, I'm sure the group would be smaller.
    Thanks,

Lloyd

6. Roy H

Roy H

I have more good news Detsch made me a new 13 ogive die for a 103 class bullet, I shot a couple he has done it again their badass

Pahunter1975 likes this.
  7. mikeeg02

mikeeg02 Michael Glantz Gold $$ Contributor

What was the ogive of the old 103? About how much bearing surface do they have? If you prefer to pm me thats fine too.

Thank you!

8. Roy H

Roy H

Call me Mike 410 259 7944

9. gunnermhr

gunnermhr Silver $$ Contributor

I just loaded up a few of the 106's. Used the same powder and charge as I do with Hybrids in my dasher. Changed seating depth, 010 out, just off and .010 in. It really liked the 010 out. It's much less than desirable conditions here today, still managed a nice round 5 shot group at 200 yards that measures .400". I think he has a winning bullet. I hope to make it out again tomorrow, supposed to be no to very slight wind.

They sort well and shoot well. I'm looking forward to trying the 103's tomorrow also. I checked weight on the 103's, 20 of them were within .003 grams

jimmymac likes this.
  10. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

I heard they shoot as straight as his stocks!

11. Roy H

Roy H

Thanks Alex if you can't bring a rig to Florida I'll have a nice one there for you. See you there Roy

12. Alex Wheeler

I want to make it but trying to get rifles done for the bswn's. That pretty much kills it. Hopefully I'll get down there sometime this year :)

13. Jet

Jet Gold $$ Contributor

Roy

Do you have a web site or do you take orders over the phone?

Rich

14. mikeeg02

mikeeg02 Michael Glantz Gold $$ Contributor

He's pretty easy to talk to on the phone

15. Terry

Terry Gold $$ Contributor

A 32 pound box came in the mail today. They whine every time this happens!

Thanks Roy!

2,000 106's

simo hayha and dogdude like this.
  16. Roy H

Roy H

Just phone Rich I'm computer illiterate and plan to keep it that way

Hoodoo, Rodney, Jerry S and 5 others like this.
  17. Lostcreek

Lostcreek Silver $$ Contributor

Roy's communication is outstanding. I like dealing with people like him.

mikeeg02 likes this.
  18. 1bamashooter

1bamashooter Gold $$ Contributor

Can I buy 100 of 103 and 106 to test or do you just sell in 500 or 1000 count?

19. sdeal5

sdeal5 Gold $$ Contributor

I've been trying some of Mr Hunter's 106's in my BRA. They shoot extremely well for me out of an 8t, 4H rifling, Rock Creek barrel. These bullets are amazingly uniform, right out of the box, and have beautifully trimmed meplats. Roy told me that they liked to jump, so I started at.005 off and they shot well, but when I backed out to .020 off they REALLY shot small. I'm sure they'll work jammed as well, but I'm happy where I'm at and think I'll quit there and save the barrel. I seem to have found a fairly broad vel node from 2880 to 2920ish. Will prob stay in this low node in anticipation of our Texas heat that will be here all to soon. Last time I checked, Field and Cave still had a few of the Rock barrel blanks left. Seems like the Hunters and the Rock creeks match up well
    Scott

20. Alex Wheeler

The 4H rocks are one of the best 6mm barrels I have seen.

Field & Cave likes this.