Looking for a new caliber.

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by Westhunder, Jan 6, 2018.

1. GSPV

GSPV A failure to plan is a plan for failure. Gold $$ Contributor

Good deal!

Folks, I’m not trying to push the cartridge on anyone. My needs are my own and I picked the parent case and spec-ed the reamer for my needs only.

110 flat base on the short end to 150 SMKs and Berger 168 VLDs on the long end Bases of the flat base and boat tail/bearing surface junction above the donut. Being able to jump a little or reach the lands with all. Everything having to fit in an AI 308 mag. It turns out to be a fairly interesting set of requirements to meet.

I wanted to shoot varmint matches, tactical matches (actually my son doing that), varmints, and deer-size big game. All with one cartridge.

I also wanted small rifle primer cases. I was sick of the Shehane wrecking good Lapua brass in 3 firings.

If I was shooting 1,000 yards, I’d have a 7 WSM or a 7 SAUM and sling the very fine Berger 180s. Different games. Different cartridges.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  2. GSPV

GSPV A failure to plan is a plan for failure. Gold $$ Contributor

It’s a very nice cartridge. My son has a straight 260 that was, as a 243, my first centerfire rifle.

For what it’s worth to a small group of people, you can’t use anything smaller than 277 to hunt elk in KY. Or at least that used to be the law. I haven’t had an opportunity to big game hunt in several years...

hogpatrol likes this.
  3. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

Yes, it's that way in Ky. Crazy lawmakers wrote the law as, "270 caliber or larger." There's probably about 100 cartridges that meet that criteria but are still poor choices and there are many more that are great elk cartridgeso but don't meet that criteria.

Poorly written law with good intentions but based on a lack of knowledge on the subject where guns are concerned. Imo.

hogpatrol likes this.
  4. FatOldMIHunter

FatOldMIHunter

The sweet spot for what you want will fall between 6mm and 7mm, 24-28 caliber. You could stray outside of that, but you might wish you hadn't. It's this fifth point that could exclude some of the cases in that range. If you want many potential sources of brass that you don't have to modify, domestic and international, that may help you narrow it down. I lived for a while with a cartridge that had no domestic suppliers of brass. It wasn't fun.

Westhunder likes this.
  5. Westhunder

Westhunder Please excuse typos, sent from my iPhone. Gold $$ Contributor

Leaning towards 6.5x47 or 7x47 I believe. I like .25 caliber too but limited bullet choices I’m afraid.

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  6. JRS

JRS

Limited in what way? When trying to decide, will it's primary use be for hunting, with target shooting secondary? Take a look at the SD of the different calibers with hunting in mind. To equal the SD of the 25, with the 6.5 or 7mm you have to step up in bullet weight a fair amount.

7. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm Silver $$ Contributor

^^^^^This.....

msinc and Mark W like this.
  8. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Gold $$ Contributor

25/06 AI

Shoebox likes this.
  9. Bully

Bully Gold $$ Contributor

Unfortunately where I live there are no varmints to speak of and rifle hunting is not allowed, however with a 6.5x47 I would not feel undergunned on deer sized game. I had one and absolutely loved it. In a game where shot placement is king, the 6.5x47 is low recoil and supremely accurate. It has enough "ass" to get to 1500 yards on steel with little issue. Just a wonderful cartridge.
    Is it the be all-end all...? Probably not. But it is a good'un.
    Good luck with your choice. You have a lot of good advice on here.

10. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

Oh, what the hell. Get a 6.5 Creedmoor and be done with it. You'll not only have a rifle that does it ALL but you'll become a member of an ELITE fraternity. a-stirring.gif

Baka, Dgd6mm and JLT like this.
  11. Westhunder

I’ll pass on the 6.5 creedmoor. I don’t think limit bullets was the right wording. I’m currently a 30 cal guy, I like the 7mm guys have a slew of different billets available. Manufacturers, based, grains, tips, the list is endless. You can spend a fortune going through them all. Although it is true in saying you only need one. One very light, explosive projectile. And one heavier, more distance and wind friendly. It was recommended to me to get investigate ballistic website on different calibers and billets and let that help shed some light. I’m still taking all things into consideration. This has been very helpful and fun. I’ve heard of stuff that I have never heard of before. Very cool.

hogpatrol and gunsandgunsmithing like this.
  12. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

Whichever caliber you choose, just make sure you twist the barrel plenty tight for the heaviest bullets you want to shoot. Then stay stay modest on charge weights and speeds when using light varmint bullets in the same barrel. Light bullets pushed too hard in a tight twist barrel can develop jacket deformation and degrade accuracy. Even heard of certain manufacturer lightweight bullets completely flying apart when pushed to the max in tight twist barrels. This isn't always the case. Depends on the bullet weight, jacket design, and caliber twist rate. But it has happened. Of course this also depends on if the cartridge you choose is capable of pushing the light bullets to speed levels where jacket deformation can occur. Something to keep in the back of your mind anyhow.

hogpatrol likes this.
  13. MarkS

MarkS Silver $$ Contributor

Westhunder,
    As far as accuracy, nothing can out shoot the 6mmBR and 6mm IMP's. Ballistics are good to 1000yds. You put a 87gr Vmax in them and varmints are hit like a lighting bolt. Barrel life is great. They fit you wants. Have you thought about a switch Barrel gun? I have 2 action setup this way. I don't have to remove the scope or remove from stock to change barrels.

Mark Schronce

14. JRS

JRS

Poppycock.

15. Westhunder

?

16. Westhunder

Mag feeding would be only issue with 6br. Don’t know from experience, but it was stated before. Think that’s why 6xc was questionable

17. JRS

JRS

"As far as accuracy, nothing can outshoot the 6mmBR and 6mm IMP's":rolleyes:

18. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

My all time favorite cartridge is a 6BR and I think everyone should own at least one, but IMHO, there are better options for a mag fed hunting rifle.

There are good answers to the op's question here and all of them will do the job.

One of the best things about building a custom rifle is you get to build what YOU want.

19. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

Has anyone ever tried the 6BR in a 700 style action with an aftermarket 'centerfeed' magazine? Just wondering if that would help address some of the feeding issues I've read and heard about with the 6BR?

Maybe something like the Wyatt's CFE-6 (centerfeed factory length SA mag box):
    http://wyattsoutdoor.com/product_info.php/cPath/1/products_id/38

20. urbanrifleman

urbanrifleman Silver $$ Contributor

I think the 6BR feeds just fine in AISC and Magpul mags. Fed just fine in my BDL too.

Dgd6mm and Ledd Slinger like this.