Looking for a new caliber.

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by Westhunder, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Westhunder

Westhunder Please excuse typos, sent from my iPhone. Gold $$ Contributor

This may be impossible, or unlikely, however I would like to try.... I want a do it all round. Varmits, Deer, Target. Going to build on one of my rem 700 actions or may even splurge and do a lprb custom action.

What I need it to do.

1- Good ballistics, decent range. Ideally 600 yds.

2- be able to preform with a projectile that will be “explosive” or fragment for Varmint hunting.

3- also be able to take down a deer with force, good kinetic energy

4- be able to go to the range and hit some long known and unknown distances

5- easily relodable. I.e. some one needs to make brass for this cartridge. Wide range of projectiles for different stated above uses.

Guess what I’m saying is that I have a bunch of bolt guns in diffent calibers for different needs and I’m wanting to spurge and consolidate. Open to any and all ideas. Thanks - this should be fun! And with any luck I’ll have a pile of rem 700’s to sell.

Bobbyboy6br likes this.
  2. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

.243 Win

msinc, wholman, nmkid and 6 others like this.
  3. markT

markT Silver $$ Contributor

Six BR.........

Hippy likes this.
  4. BoilerUP

BoilerUP

Dasher...

Hippy and 284winner like this.
  5. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market

The list could be long but I'd say a .260 or similar. Maybe even a 7x47 Lapua.

FatBoy likes this.
  6. Roger Johnson

Roger Johnson Gold $$ Contributor

Send your original message to Alex Wheeler @wheeler.accuracy Might save you a lot of time and money. Good luck with your project!

7. FatBoy

FatBoy

6.5x47L would be my pick, but it's going at add the cost of bushing the bolt face.

284winner likes this.
  8. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market

Why? Am I missing a stated bolt face diameter?

I assumed 308/BR bolt face but you do bring up a good point though...The 6.5x47L shares the same bolt face. If the op has something different, it would be a consideration, though. He did say that he may even go custom action.

9. BoilerUP

BoilerUP

Small rifle primer and high pressure case doesn't play that well with the typical factory 0.075" 700SA firing pin?

10. Bobbyboy6br

Bobbyboy6br Silver $$ Contributor

2506 Remington tops them all for a dual purpose caliber 1-10 T is best

wholman, timeout, nmkid and 1 other person like this.
  11. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

Not too many calibers' accuracy helped by a Remington factory slip, slop and slide firing pin.

12. JRS

JRS Gold $$ Contributor

25 caliber. Relying on kinetic energy is a thing of the past.

25-06, 257 Ackley, 250 Ackley, 25x47, 257 Weatherby:)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    Mudhead and nmkid like this.
  13. Bobbyboy6br

Bobbyboy6br Silver $$ Contributor

2506 rem is a great dual purpose caliber load it with a 75 to 100 gr bullet and it’s a wind defeying flat shooting ground hog killing round or load it with any 117 120 gr bullet for deer size game

timeout and nmkid like this.
  14. spitfire_er

spitfire_er Gold $$ Contributor

6mm Remington.

thekriebles likes this.
  15. slm9s

slm9s

243ai
    6cm
    6-6.5x47L

95 thru 115 for deer and targets at long range, whatever you want for varmints...

16. long40shot

long40shot Silver $$ Contributor

270 Winchester

rob67gmc and seymour fish like this.
  17. JBT

JBT Gold $$ Contributor

6XC or 6 Creedmoor in a 1-8” twist.

18. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

Depends on your boltface or if you're willing to change or modify it...

When it comes to a do-all for huting, varminting, and good accuracy for punching paper, the bigger 6.5mm's are my favorite. You can run heavy 140gr Berger bullets fast for taking down big game with force, slow em down and run 130gr or 120gr bullets for punching paper. Then turn around and run 85gr Sierra Varminter HP or Hornady 95gr V-Max bullets to completely disintegrate varmints. You can load em hot or slower to preserve barrel life.

I personally have a couple 6.5 Remington Magnums. Inherently accurate, reasonably low recoil, and very fast if you want it to be. But brass is not easy to find so not sure if that's a good option for you.

One round that has been intriguing me lately is the 6.5 PRC. Basically a necked down 300 Ruger Compact Magnum. This cartrdige has been made by wildcatters before, but it was brought to life in the commercial world by Hornady to be the 'big brother' of their 6.5 Creedmoor design. Brass is available and it's definitely "something different". Not a round you hear ever much about when talking to folks or reading on the web.

I may change my 6.5 Rem Mags to this cartridge if brass ever becomes an issue. I have a good stock of brass for now so doubt this will happen anytime soon.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  19. Westhunder

I’m open to doing a custom action for sure. I have a bunch of decent rifles and I’m ready to graduate to something else. If something will work on one of my old rem actions, great. But im not going to let it impede what I’m wanting to do here. Everyone had their favorite. As well they should. But that’s why I ask... save me some headache of getting deep down the WRONG rabbit hole. 6mm/.243 seems to have a lot of bullet choices, which is great. But what chamberinf really opens me up to being able to do all of the above. Appreciate all the input and keep it coming. Reasons for caliber choice also help in deciding. And I would prefer short action caliber, but can do Long action. That’s one thing I don’t have and may save one of the many sa to do another build later

fmturner likes this.
  20. Westhunder