Looking for 6br load data for silhouette

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by wiz, Feb 10, 2019.

1. wiz

wiz Silver $$ Contributor

I am looking for data for 95g bullet for HP Silhouette.
    Also for 105 and or 108.
    Thanks Wiz

2. bigstick6017555

bigstick6017555 Silver $$ Contributor

look under accshooter site at top of page

BenPerfected likes this.
  3. squint-n-squeeze

squint-n-squeeze

Agree with above - check the sidebar on the accurateshooter main page. There's a lot of info on load data for the 6BR. Please report back with how it goes for you! I hear the 6BR is becoming popular in HP silhouette. Sounds like the possibility of ringing a ram is balanced out by the mild recoil on all the other animals. Would like to hear your experience in the HP game, especially with rams.

4. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Ringing a ram is about all youll be able to do. Easy setup though- just paint. They are heavy!

5. polebilly

polebilly

I've used a 6BR on and off in silhouette. Most recently 110 Matchkings on rams. You will probably get more than you ring but you will ring them. Heck i've rung them with a 308. Be happy with all the addition closer aminals you get.

6. JEFFPPC

JEFFPPC

I was an avid silhouette shooter for years. I think your barking up the wrong tree trying to make a 6BR work. It will not make you hit more of the closer animals but will make you frustrated on the ringers. As a minimal cartridge I would say a .260 with 120 gr. bullets.

7. polebilly

polebilly

I should have told Cathy Winstead , after she won both the silhouette and hunter rifle 2017 national championships, that shes never going any where shooting a 6BR. My bad.

8. dwall

dwall Gold $$ Contributor

I read somewhere that she aims for the top half of the ram to knock em over.

squint-n-squeeze likes this.
  9. polebilly

polebilly

I had the luck of being squadded next to her and being on a different relay so I set up my spotting scope and watched her hits. She may or may not be aiming for the top half but that's not how the shots impacted on the rams. They were all over the animal, low-high-left-right, and of eight hits there was one dinger, I think it was one of the higher shots. There's always the chance of a hard set ram no matter what you shoot.

dwall and squint-n-squeeze like this.
  10. TC260

TC260

Exactly. Maybe a situation where an elite shooter can get away with something that can backfire on the average shooter. Some guys I used to shoot with a little bit had good success with a 6.5BR. A little more momentum for the ram line.

Somebody's probably already doing it but I've often thought that high power silhouette could be the niche for the quarter bores in competitive shooting. 6's are a little too light but can get away with a little less than 6.5. With bullets like the 131 Blackjack and hopefully more like them, a 25BR or equivalent may be the happy medium between performance and recoil.

squint-n-squeeze likes this.
  11. squint-n-squeeze

squint-n-squeeze

Yeah the top-level shooters are able to hold on rump, foreleg, horns, whatever. The rest of us are happy to yank the trigger while the crosshairs are somewhere inside the animal. :)

TC260 and mikeinct like this.
  12. ballisticxlr

ballisticxlr

6BR is a bit on the light side for the new competitor. You'll ring a lot of rams. It's a BR so you're going to end up at somewhere around 30gr of powder. If your rifles throat is long enough and you're at at least an 8 twist you might try the 115gr DTAC's. I've been able to run them with the same charge weights as 108 ELD's. Varget worked well with >100gn bullets.

Coach used one when I first started shooting with him. He's on a 6.5BR now and I shoot a 7BR. No more rung rams, well not NO more but almost none.

dwall likes this.
  13. Lone Hunter

Lone Hunter Silver $$ Contributor

Does that mean you hit more Rams or miss more with the 7br? lol.. Always wondered how good the 7br is.. Thinking of trying a 30br.

14. dwall

dwall Gold $$ Contributor

What bullets and velocities are being used in the 6.5 and 7BR? Rebarreling an old M70. Haven't competed in 30 years. Trying to catch up with what's current.

15. TC260

TC260

The 7BR is a fantastic round just like it's other BR cousins. It just doesn't really have a niche anywhere these days. It's was a dominant round in handgun silhouette for a time but just like rifle silhouette, improvements in bullets and other things allowed smaller caliber rounds to do the same thing with less recoil. Silhouette shooting is in many ways an endurance game so there's always a desire to get down to the bare minimum needed to push those pesky rams over.

If one were to build a deer rifle on a BR case, I'd say the 7BR is arguably the best of the bunch in that role.

16. ballisticxlr

ballisticxlr

Lone Hunter: It's not about hitting them, it's about knocking them down. Both the 6.5 and the 7 are WAY better at it than the 6. You need what we in the game call "ramentum" which is different to energy because it doesn't square the velocity. You might try barnes bullets, they're stupid tough which seems to help. Some of the 6mm guys swear by them.

dwall: in 7BR I run 130SMK's @ 2560, 154 SST's at 2250 and 168 SMK's at 2250. Coach runs 108's at 2650 and 140's at 2550 in his 6.5BR. The currently fashionable stuff seems to be basically .22-250 cases rejiggered a little and put to 6mm and 6.5mm. The 6mm guys (6XC and similar) are running >3000fps. 6.5guys seem to like 108's and 130's running pretty darned fast. It's super common in the game for people to be pushing their loads pretty hard. What might trip you out is Jerrod Perry who wins basically all the state matches in the south west was using, last I checked, a 7mm-204 to great effect. Think 7TCU but with just a little more snot. It's not a good choice for someone who's not Jerrod.

TC260 and dwall like this.
  17. drags

drags Silver $$ Contributor

When I shot highpower silhouette I used a 7br and 260 rem and I liked the 260 better. With the 7br I shot 130 SMK and for c,p,t and 168 smk for rams, with the 260 I shot the 107 SMK for c,p,t and the 142 SMK for rams and I had good results with both rifles. Recoil was about the same but the 260 shot flatter and the 260 took the rams down a little better. My problem was hitting the rams not knocking them over.
    Drags

dwall likes this.
  18. Boyd L.

Boyd L. Witty comment under development Gold $$ Contributor

Dan Theodore (whom I never met and I believe is now deceased) used to post the most interesting material on the Steelchickens.com Highpower forum about Ramentum and his experiences with cartridges that many would consider way too underpowered to take rams. I believe he had settled on versions of the 6.5 x 45 as the cartridge that gave him the most optimum scores. I believe I read that he had speculated that the .204 Ruger case necked up to 6.5 might be the best compromise between effectiveness on rams and cumulative recoil. It sounds as the 7x204 may address the “ringing rams” issue better, provided correct bullet construction/reaction on target.

In any event Dan’s posts on Steelchickens are interesting reads.

dwall likes this.
  19. perry42

perry42 Gold $$ Contributor

In 1987 at the Silhouette Nationals in Ridgeway, PA I was using a Rem BDL in 30-06 with Nosler partition bullets. I hit a ram in the shoulder and he just stood there. The next relay Margaret Everhart Hazy hit the same ram using a 308 with a 190gr bullet and he just stood there. If the wind is coming from behind the ram some times you have to just grin and bear it.

perry42

dwall likes this.
  20. steve123

steve123

Don't forget to consider wind drift. You can't drive a heavy bullet fast enough to overcome the extra wind drift due to low velocity, and that bullet will push on your shoulder, plus they are more expensive..... Not such a huge deal on the Rams but will be on the Turkeys.

Too see what I mean go look at the hideous numbers a 300BO does with 230's at 1050 fps, of course 30BR is going to be going faster but not hugely.

Then contemplate that 7mm/180's can have a higher BC and can be driven faster/ 7mmBR.

Also the arrival velocity, combined with the bullet weight, should be considered. What is optimal?

I'm no expert on Silhouette but I did shoot it quite a bit in my youth, actually was my first comps. But now I would want the BC and speed balanced the against recoil.

This might make that 150 SMK/.71G1, in a 6.5x47L, in a low node, a neat cartridge for this game??!!
    107's for chickens and pigs??