Looking for 22lr for my wife

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by nativecat01, Jan 1, 2019.

1. nativecat01

nativecat01 Gold $$ Contributor

My wife is wanting to do some fun shoots, nothing serious as of now with a 22 lr. She has been looking at the new CZ 457 All In One with Boyd stock, not sure about the 16" or 24" barrel. I have a Burris Predator Quest 4x14 scope to put on the rifle. This will probably stay as a factory setup and I don't want to spend over $700 for the rifle. Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

2. Mark McMahon

Mark McMahon Silver $$ Contributor

CZ has my vote, best bang for the buck!!

3. bichettereds

bichettereds Silver $$ Contributor

+1 on the CZ. I have had quite a few 452 and 455s and just looked at the 457. That’s a winner for sure!

4. nakneker

nakneker Gold $$ Contributor

I have several 22 rifles, I like many of them, the CZs do a great job. I recently picked up a Tikka and my initial shooting sessions are making it a very popular pick. Outstanding little rifle. They are hard to find but there’s one on gunbroker now with a buy now option. I own several 10/22s that are mostly custom, two CZs, a Custon Ruger 77/22, an anchutz and a couple old Winchester’s. This Tikka is holding its own.

Here’s a link just Incase your interested.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/795377210

5. Rsadams

Rsadams

Take the time to search barrel lengths discussed here... To long can be bad etc....

6. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon

CZ Mannlicher. 20 inch barrel. Classy

7. Peebles24

Peebles24 Gold $$ Contributor

Will she ever want to do more than fun shoots? If it is in the realm of possibility spend the extra and get a anschutz or 40x now. I have about 8 or 900 in a savage mark ii i wish i would have only cried once.

8. moorepower

moorepower

Longer barrel =quieter, a little less velocity, but not much.

9. kzin

kzin

For a range gun tend toward the heaviest barrel profile available. Varmint or bull or heavy.

10. Don

Don Gold $$ Contributor

CZ 453 Set Trigger can’t get Better !
    455 2 Barrel in today’s market .

11. group therapy

group therapy Gold $$ Contributor

I have bought 2 anschutz 64ms for 750 each and they shoot like crazy and keep great resale value if you so decide to sell later. ;)

12. nativecat01

Her eyes did light up when she saw your post, group therapy. We have a guy at a local gun shop who put in a special request with one of his distributors about the CZ. But she is open to any suggestions. Thanks for all the replies so far.

13. group therapy

group therapy Gold $$ Contributor

don't feel bad, MY eyes lit up when I got them for that price, LOL!!:eek:

14. Fotheringill

Fotheringill

I don't know about the new model, but if a 452 or 455, be very careful in the scope and rings. Make sure the scope does not interfere with the bolt throw.

15. redrockranger

redrockranger

ANSCHUTZ. enough said.

group therapy likes this.
  16. nativecat01

I'm retired so I don't have the money for Anschutz

17. Rsadams

Rsadams

If it's just for plinking and fun , the Ruger American Rimfire is a great low price Rifle... I have one of the short barrel ones and with CCI standered velocity it will shoot a half inch at fifty.... The real hard part of any Rimfire is finding the correct ammo...

18. drover

drover

If by "fun shoots" you mean local club matches not using dedicated bench rifles then the 457 in the All In One Boyds stock may work for that, if you mean more of a plinking rimfire then IMO it will be too heavy and awkward for that.

The best advice that I can give is for you to go to as many stores as possible and let her handle as many different rimfires as possible. If you do that both both will have a much better idea of what suits her and chances are you will both be happier for it.

p.s. - You may also want to take a look at the Tikka T1X, it is available in 22 L.R. and Sportsmans Warehouse has been advertising them for $468.

drover

19. swd

swd Gold $$ Contributor

There are some older Anschutz under the Savage name that can be had a bargin! Check the used racks.

20. Boyd L.

Boyd L. Witty comment under development Gold $$ Contributor

Depending on your wife’s stature a CZ-452 Scout is just about right for someone under 5’ 7” or so.