longer or shorter barrel ?

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by rebs, Jun 11, 2019.

1. rebs

rebs Silver $$ Contributor

what length barrel is better for shooting a 22 at 100 yds ? I have a remington 541 custom sporter and a Savage with a shorter bull barrel. Which would be more accurate at 100 yds ?

2. MihiT

MihiT

IME finding the bullets yours like will contribute more to accuracy. I think anything past 19 or so inches and you'll be running out of acceleration with the small powder load.
    Typically bull barrel beats skinny one.

How 'bout test it out and YOU tell US?

3. Tim s

Tim s

Impossible comparison given only that info, there’s infinite variables determining rimfire barrel accuracy, if you get a good one, could be long, short, or anything in between.
    All things being equal(never are) with barrels from the same shop, the longer one will generally be more accurate among custom tubes.

4. Rsadams

Rsadams

Testing both rifles WITH the ammo they each like is the only way to tell... .22 is a finicky mistress....All Rimfire is a testing thing..

5. Chief 101

Chief 101

for open sights you would be well off to have a very long barrel for the sight radlius. For scope sights no disadvantage in a short barrel of 18 inches as long as it shoots well...long barrel works also what ever shoots well. I shoot 100 with peep sights and 25" barrel. I shoot 200 yds with 18" barrel and good scope.

6. rebs

rebs Silver $$ Contributor

Thank you guys for the replies