Long Range scopes with at least 4" eye relief

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by ratbuster, Dec 6, 2018.

1. ratbuster

ratbuster Silver $$ Contributor

I'm planning on an elk hunt with a 300 Win Mag. Shots are expected to be in the prone position, usually shooting uphill. The prone position is less forgiving for recoil so I'm concerned about the possibility of scope eye.

The shots are typically over 500 yards so I want 12 power minimum and 30 mm tube for adequate elevation adjustment. Also most scopes lose eye relief when magnification is increased. Are there any decent scopes made that offer a full 4" eye relief at 12 power or higher? I can live with a reduced field of view

2. Rob01

Rob01

The Vortex AMG 6-24x has 3.6" of eye relief and is only 28.5 ounces. Having shot a lot of 300WM uphill both prone and sitting that is plenty of eye relief. Not the AMG in pic but a scope with the same eye relief.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

Nope. No such thing... ;)

Theres so many options out there that will meet those requirements the list is a mile long. Most modern scopes do not lose much if any eye relief at such a low magnification level. Just figure out what you want and get the best you can afford.

I don't do any hunting with scopes having less than 20x mag on the top end. Makes those longer pokes that much easier

4. SPJ

SPJ Silver $$ Contributor

SWFA 3-15

5. FatBoy

FatBoy

I don't know that I have seen a scope with a full 4" of eye relief. Nightforce NXSs have around 3.5" of eye relief, which is a lot, even shooting magnums. They're heavy, but should fit the bill as well.

6. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

A good muzzlebrake would help a lot. Matt

hogpatrol likes this.
  7. Ledd Slinger

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  8. BOB LEE SWAGGER

BOB LEE SWAGGER Silver $$ Contributor

9. Bart B.

Bart B.

I've put a +6 diopter lens on a 16X scope's eyepiece to make it about 22X. Had to screw eyepiece in about 3/16". Eye relief went from about 3.5" to 2". Not a problem for a 22 rimfire match rifle. It was the same diameter as the eyepiece and held in place with a Butler Creek lens cover.

Therefore, a minus diopter lens will lower a scopes magnification and increase its eye relief. A -4 or -6 diopter lens on a 16X to 20X scope may do the trick for you. The reticle will appear thinner as it won't be magnified as much. Scope will be a lower power with longer eye relief. And the eyepiece will need to be backed out to focus on the reticle.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 8:21 AM
  10. Bart B.

Bart B.

Here's a patch African hunting guides gave clients getting scoped by their aiming eye. They called it the Weatherby Award.

IMG_0779_crop_326x316.JPG

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 11:24 AM
    Zero333, McGraw, seymour fish and 2 others like this.
  11. ratbuster

ratbuster Silver $$ Contributor

Thanks for all your suggestions guys. I have several quality scopes that have 3.5" relief. What about using what I've got and position my eye further back than is optimal for widest field of view? Might this amplify any parallax errors?

12. Bart B.

Bart B.

Moving the eye back won't effect parallax as long as it's on the scope axis. Parallax is best minimized doing that.

13. Ledd Slinger

Thats awesome! Lol. I should have at least a half a dozen of those patches on my pack. Maybe more. Lol

14. Bart B.

Bart B.

A first time shooter took his new 300 Weatherby hunting rifle to a 1000 yard match. Several cautioned him about the scope set too far back for use in the prone position.

He fired his first sighter.

Fortunately, a doctor, scoring a few points away, took care of the horrible wound using his emergency kit kept in his car trunk.

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  15. Ledd Slinger

I've even been scoped by lower recoiling rifles. I sometimes start to get comfortable shooting the smaller rifles then forget all about eye relief when shooting from an odd position uphill. They'll bite pretty hard too. Even a lightweight 204 Ruger can crack you pretty good ;)

16. Bart B.

Bart B.

The following year, that same doctor treated a bullet wound in the leg of a target puller. A bullet ricocheted down off the metal target carrier.

17. Ledd Slinger

18. seymour fish

seymour fish

Many good suggestions. Would add consideration of a bit longer length of pull and a hard hold with good cheek support

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  19. Rob01

Rob01

I think practicing more with the rifle will help the most with gaining confidence as with that much eye relief you should not be having any issues with eye bite. If you do then something is wrong with your shooting fundamentals.

20. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor