long range bullet options 6 brx

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by fordwrench, May 15, 2014.

1. fordwrench

fordwrench

getting ready to work up my new 6brx. gun is a mike davis trued rem 700, 28in krieger 8tw, tm stockworks bedded st 1000. looking to shoot to 600 yds mostly for pleasure and maybe a groundhog style competion. with so many different styles from 105gr and up, vld smk, hybrid ect. im confused on what to get first. i do not want to buy every style or shoot 2000 rounds looking for a load that shoots. opinions please. i think mike used the .104 freebore on the chamber cut.

2. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

With your twist and freebore, use the 105 vld.

3. Danley

Danley Danley Precision Silver $$ Contributor

You can scratch the 107 SMK's off your list because they're pretty much nonexistant right now

4. Bob Sebold

Bob Sebold Gold $$ Contributor

105 Berger hybrids are good for prairie dogs out to at least a verified 1212 yards. They are also good for setting national records at 600. I did both, easy to load, very few rejects and you do not have to tip them. 20K off lands is good start point then leave your seater alone. Let the barrel lands erode and forget about them. Get a new barrel around 1500 reds or when it starts opening up. Very simple bullet to work with. Not picky at all.

5. spclark

spclark Gold $$ Contributor

+1 on that, or Berger's 105 Hybrid. Either one IMHO will shoot up to that combination's potential. Start with 'em 0.020" off the lands & adjust if you feel the need.

6. MarkS

MarkS Silver $$ Contributor

Any Berger 105 or 108

Mark Schronce

7. Alex Wheeler

104 is gonna be short for the 108 and hybrid, but should be right with the vld.

8. johara1

johara1

If you plan on jumping them the .104 free bore is short,but the 105 hybrid always shot better in than jumped. Some of them now are super fat like .244 and you may need a running start to squeeze them in …... ;)…… jim

9. fordwrench

fordwrench

i ll try the 105 vlds and the 105 hybrids then.. only other thing that concerns me is the lot variations that other shooters are complaining about at times. it seems as though the bergers are hit or miss sometimes. in other words buying just a box or two to test seems risky. how are you guys running the bergers getting around this? or should one just sort the boxes and be done with it?

10. jr600yd

jr600yd Gold $$ Contributor

Sometimes we get carried away. I shoot a lot of Berger 105's, both the VLD's and hybrids in F-open and Any/Any competition. I use molly, don't point, don't weigh and run them right out of the box. They are good enough to place me in the High master class. If I was going to shoot 1K Benchrest I might do more. At these ranges the wind will give you more trouble than the bullets. I jam the VLD's .010 and jump the Hybrids .020. Works for me.

11. spclark

spclark Gold $$ Contributor

Sorting within a box of 100 is kinda pointless; they don't vary much in a given lot. If I can afford to I'll buy 2 500-count boxes, or 10 100-count boxes of the same lot # at a time.

When I started with the Hybrids (was in the group who did final testing before general release) I had neither the time nor enough of them to do any load testing. I chose to load 'em the same as the 105VLD'S I'd been shooting for four or five seasons, took 'em to a match. Not at all surprised they shot just as consistently for be in both cartridge / rifle combinations. Once my stock of VLD'S is used up there are Hybrids sitting on the shelf waiting.

12. Alex Wheeler

You buy some and if they shoot you call back and order all you can afford of that same lot. Then you sort them, trim, and point. I assume your shooting br because of your rifle design, I wouldnt listen to those who are telling you not to bother. I doubt they are shooting br and in their sport it may not matter.

13. thekriebles

thekriebles Silver $$ Contributor

At one point, Mike Davis was using the Berger VLD 105 Target for his personal 6BRX. Since he's your smith as well, I'd give him a call for his current feedback.

14. salitydog

salitydog

ask mike, i got one of his personal brx and he was shooting 105 vld with rl 15 also mollys was his two loads he sent with gun works really well.my son took a fair 8 point this year at over 400 yard with his load. just my two cent but remenber my first two words. rick

15. letronshootit

letronshootit

I really enjoy my 6brx shooting 1k Varmint Benchrest. I have great success with Varget 33gr 105gr Berger Hybrids and CCI450 primers. Seating depth is .015 off. I don't weigh bullets anymore but for this type of competition out of the box is fine speaking of the Bergers only.

16. nosualc

nosualc

105 Berger Hybrids. Jump 'em .020 to start.

Around 30.0gr Varget to fireform. Somewhere in the 32.0-33.5gr Varget range for full loads (start low, sneak up).

This combination has worked very well for me on multiple barrels.

I tried the VLDs and they shot well, but the Hybrids are a little more forgiving with regard to seating depth.

-nosualc

17. salitydog

salitydog

just to help if needed. sinclair has the 105 vld hunting in stock as i have tried to find for past 6 mo. as said works very well in mine. lots of luck and many happy rounds. rick

18. fordwrench

fordwrench

thanks guys for the sound advice. i will give him a call.. i want all i can get from the rifle accuracy wise. pleasure shooting or comp shooting i am always wanting to see SMALL groups.

19. normmatzen

normmatzen Silver $$ Contributor

I use hybrids exclusively in my 6BRX 0.010" into the lands. But, for varmit and 600yd, you might want to try 105 A-MAX. They are really a pretty good bullet. I don't know what the availability is just now, but the best thing about them is they are CHEAP! You get a really good bullet for a good price! I did use A-MAXs in my old 243 WIN long range gun with pretty good results.