Loctite nut to barrel

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by Kane519, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Kane519

Kane519

Long time lurker, first time poster with a question. Here & elsewhere I've read of guys using loctite to fasten their barrel nut to their barrel (once properly headspaced), however I'm wondering if anyone here has actually done it themselves & what their results were.

Thanks in advance.

2. savagedasher

savagedasher Gold $$ Contributor

Thread lock would work. But why . Larry

Toolbreaker likes this.
  3. ND shooter

ND shooter

Short answer... No

4. milanuk

milanuk Team Savage Gold $$ Contributor

Haven't tried that... but have been considering putting some nylon tipped set screws into the barrel nut for the same purpose.

To be honest, you can take it apart and reassemble it pretty quickly and consistently just using witness marks from the receiver to the nut, and from the nut to the barrel - which is the main reason it hasn't really been a priority for me.

5. Kane519

Kane519

Why is a fair question. I want to quick change barrels in the field, from a training round (223rem) to a competition round 6.5cm). I've seen it down where two flats are machines into the barrel, about 2" from the muzzle. The owner uses a torque wrench (20# I believe) to swap barrels without removing the action from the chassis or removing the scope. However, he does this with a shouldered barrel, so the barrel nut may add another level of complexity.
    Loctite's website says red is good to 24 ft-lbs on a M10 bolt, so that may not be strong enough. Though, I'd assume that the larger the threads the stronger the grip, so maybe.

6. savagedasher

savagedasher Gold $$ Contributor

I said thread locker I think it is 243
    Larry

7. Dos XX

Dos XX Gold $$ Contributor

Jam 2 barrel nuts together.

joshb and Ggmac like this.
  8. Ggmac

Ggmac

Good idea if required . You could cut the factory nut in half and jam them .
    Add loctite for a extra measure or you could just make /buy barrels with shoulders .

joshb likes this.
  9. Twdmar

Twdmar

This is workable. I have a savage with 2 barrels and what I did was cut a small shim of aluminum and jammed it into the threads. I then glued the nuts on with jb weld. There is a gunsmith named Larry Racine who will mill flats on your muzzle for a wrench.
    I just use a rubber strap wrench and can still get 25 ft lbs which seems to be enough

10. swadiver

swadiver Silver $$ Contributor

11. perry42

perry42

Do not use RED loctite unless you like heating the barrel nut when attempting to remove the nut & barrel.

perry42

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  12. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

There was a guy here that installed a set screw in his nuts and a corresponding shallow hole in his barrels to do what you are thinking about. He claimed it worked great. I personally wouldn't trust the loctite to hold.

13. pacificman

pacificman

I would never use loctite on the barrel nut...in fact I use anti seize so that I can take the nut off
    if needed. I have never had a barrel nut loosen once put on either. This way when swapping
    or replacing barrels it will be easy peasy. :) I have done this to 4 rifles with no problems.

JLT likes this.
  14. JLT

JLT Gold $$ Contributor

^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^ Exactly. If the nut is torqued correctly the barrel will stay put. I've never had one come loose. I use synthetic grease on the threads - very sparingly - and changing barrels is never a problem either.

15. Will Henry

Will Henry

Fixing the nut to the barrel allows the barrel to work just like conventionally fitted barrel so it can be removed and replaced without the use of a head space gauge. I've done it and it works fine. WH