lilja or shilen

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by davebir, Dec 22, 2008.

1. davebir

davebir

having a rifle built,which is best a lilja or a shilen barrel

2. garyw

garyw Site $$ Contributor

iv got 2liljas and 1 shilen cant fault either this post will give you a few replies.
    i see your in the uk whos doing the build?
    garyw

3. Preacher

Preacher Site $$ Contributor

I would prefer the Lilja over the Shilen any old day.....

4. 6BR

6BR

I wouldn't by either, I would buy a Bartlein or Krieger.

5. 222Rem

222Rem

Had Lilja barrel grouped like a shotgun.:mad:
    Replaced it with TED GAILLARD barrel:) shoots like .222rem should.
    TED GAILLARD
    P.O. BOX 68
    ST.BRIEUX, SK
    S0K 3V0 CANADA
    ,306) 752-3769
    FAX,306) 752-5969

Teds website

6. savageguy

savageguy

I'd buy a lilja over shilin and bartlein over any of them.
    Chris

7. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

You won't learn much from this type post. I do favor the Shilen.
    Butch

8. tenring

tenring Site $$ Contributor

These days, I prefer cut rifling barrels. Never had a Lilja. About 20 years ago, I bought my first Shilen, and I have had many since. The thing that impresses me most is that Shilen seems to be more consistently accurate than most others; perhaps this is why they show up so often on BR equipment lists.

9. Twud

Twud

Krieger is the only way to go. The others are OK, but the Krieger is great. Nice sharp cut rifling.

10. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm Site $$ Contributor

Had a Shilen built last year for a 7rsaum shoots great cleans easy,before they made it they had just gotten new machines.Have a Lilja on a remington magnum action that is sleeved chambered in 300 lapua. The barrel is a custom contour and 34 inches long.There is a breakin group some where on lilja's site and Greg Tannel's site,the group was shot by the man that had it built at 1060 yards.3 shot 2.136 inch group.I no you did'nt ask about Kreiger's but I've got a 6cm in a kreiger, best printed group at just over 1000 yards was 3.5 wide 6 inch tall 5 shots.1st kreiger 2nd lilja 3rd shilen.:)

11. 6BR

6BR

This is how I would rank the barrels;

1-Tie between Bartlein and Krieger
    2-Lilja
    3-Hart
    4-Shilen

I have used Bartlein, Krieger and Lilja. All three are excellent barrels. However, Bartlein and Krieger are hands down the best barrels out there.

12. davebir

davebir

just got the word back from the guy building my rifle,he put on a lilja,sent it for proof and the barrel his bulged in the chamber on test,so he's replaced it with a shilen.thanks for the posts it's good to know what you think

13. glo

glo

I have had several custom barrels over the last 30 years. There was a time when Lilja and Hart barrels were at the top. I think barrel making is more about quality control than anything else. The technology and materials that are available today is so much better than even ten years ago.

If a company strives to make the best, I think they will make the best. Those companies that get fat and happy or have newer employees may not put the extra effort it take make a quality barrel every time.

Here’s my list.
    1-Spencer
    2-Krieger
    3-PacNor,by far the most reasonably priced barrel for quality)
    4-Shilen
    5-Hart
    6-Lilja,from this point down the quality is just better than factory barrels)
    7-Douglas

14. kelbro

kelbro Site $$ Contributor

I have two Shilens. You won't be disappointed.

15. Mike

Mike

That sounds a bit suspicious to me.

16. Dubya

Dubya

I have had six Liljas over the years,all 6mm/.243) and they all shot very well.
    I am also a little suspicious of the bulged in the chamber comment. How many 'BULGED CHAMBERS' has anyone seen or heard of
    and what did they discover that caused it? I'll bet it was not the the fault of the barrel!

Gary.

17. chino69

chino69

The first question is what do you want to do with the rifle? The answer to that question would help in recommending one barrel over the other.

Lou Baccino
    Chino69

18. glo

glo

It has just occurred to me after reading the above post. I wouldn’t pick either a Lilja or Shilen, but what if the gunsmith installing your barrels doesn’t care either? I would say once you get your gun back from a gunsmith that doesn’t care and it shoots like $#!&, should you blame Lilja or Shilen? I never thought to think that a bad or less than carefully installed barrel,including chambering, crowning, truing the bolt, bla bla bla) could result in low performance. Maybe a Kreiger barrel is no better than a Lilja. Sorry guys!

19. shooter65

shooter65

Bartlein. Buy one and don't look back.

Cut rifled barrels are near perfect on the twist.

Bartlein thinking in the 21st century laid their ass on the line and their balls on the ground and invested in the development of a compleatly programable CNC cut rifleing machine., to which they designed, developed, fabricated, and now run,ALL IN HOUSE) . It can hold a twist to the 5th decimal point IE 1 - 11.25485

It can also progresivly twist a barrel from one end to the other IE start at 13 and end at exactly 11, at whatever length you want.

No-One else in the entire world can do this.

Does this mean other barrel makers cant make a good barrel?? NO it doesnt but I will bet the farm on Bartlein for the above reasons.

20. 6BR

6BR

Shooter65, you are exactly right. Bartlein is the way to go. I just shot mine this past weekend and it performed better than any barrel I have ever used. Bartlein Barrels, with out a doubt the best barrel I have ever shot. Bartlein Barrels has my buisness from now on. Plus, they are great to deal with. Frank is a very nice guy. Once again, thank you Frank and the guys at Bartlein for making such an awsome product.