Leupold settling

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by Boyd L., Oct 11, 2017.

1. Boyd L.

Boyd L.

I haven't shot my 40-X set up for silhouette competitively in a couple years. Thinking I might try it this weekend if I can get the various distances zeroed.
    I noticed that once I got it fine tuned at 40 meters it put the last three through the same hole. Adjusted the 6.5-20 Leupold EFR up 8 clicks (at 60 meters) and it took 4 shots around the edge of the 3/4" aiming sticker before it began putting shots together. Adjusted 10 clicks for 75 meters and it did the same thing. The thumbnail shows what it looked like at 75.

It's a CMP 40-X with a Hart sporter barrel, a homemade stock, Jewell bottom safety trigger (set at just a hair over 2 lbs), shooting SK Rifle Match ammo. The front rest for this test was my Bald Eagle and a Shooter's Ridge rear.

I'm thinking the scope is taking several shots to "settle" after each adjustment. I might not miss pigs and rams while it's settling, but turkeys are definitely going to be compromised and maybe chickens.
    I've got a twin to this scope on a 1710. If I had the time I should run them side by side to compare.

Attached Files:

JB9 likes this.
  2. a1712

a1712 Silver $$ Contributor

I have a 6.5-20x40 Leupold on a 54MS that does the exact same thing. Never realized it before till I started shooting it extensively a few weeks ago. Mine you can actually watch the bullet holes move to it's poa/poi after an adjustment. I exercised the vertical adjustment several times and it alleviated the condition, but it will be going to Leupold for a good going over this winter. Brian.

Boyd L. likes this.
  3. LHSmith

LHSmith

Yes, exercising the adjustments works wonders.....especially if the scope has been dormant for some time. Don't be shy about it- run the full range of both adjustments several times.

mac86951 and Boyd L. like this.
  4. Ggmac

Ggmac

Exactly what LhSmith says . It's made of brass steel and aluminum , work the adjustments a lot . You'll feel the dif and see it on the target .

Boyd L. likes this.
  5. Boyd L.

Boyd L.

I should probably clarify the scope/rifle haven't been completely idle per se. While I've not competed with the combo, I do drag it out once a month or so. Except for going beyond the desired setting when traveling counterclockwise a few clicks (then coming back to the setting) the scope's dials only get worked through the known range of chickens through ram settings.
    I'll run it east-west/north-south.