Let's talk 220 swift

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by codybrown, Feb 3, 2020.

1. BoydAllen

BoydAllen

I had a Savage single shot varminter in .220 Swift. At the time I had access to several different kinds of premium factory ammunition, the best that they made. Surprisingly, the most accurate was the Hornady, loaded with their 40gr. Vmax bullets. At the maximum distance that you are planning for, I would at least give that bullet a try. I think that you will be pleased. Although the conventional wisdom is to favor heavier, higher BC bullets, I suggest that you run the numbers using some ballistic software before you make a decision. Having said that, I think that a 12" twist gives you more options.

WyleWD and codybrown like this.
  2. WyleWD

WyleWD Gold $$ Contributor

A 12 twist Swift will definitely fit your needs. There are quite a few 50-55gr bullets made and for most of your shooting being under 300yds you'll be fine with that weight range of bullets and that's what I'd throat it for. Being a Ruger fan my self, I understand your position on that, but the abundance of readily available triggers etc for the Remington is very attractive too. Personally I like the long actions for the Swift, but that's a personal choice too. Pick out a Hart, Douglas, Shilen, or Lilja barrel in the contour that fits your stock and a really good gunsmith to do the chambering and you'll be fine. Keep it simple. JME. WD

357Mag likes this.
  3. codybrown

codybrown Gold $$ Contributor

I'm leaning towards using a Remington l/a since I've got a spare along with a triggertech trigger since I've got one of those sitting in the safe. I need to do a little research to see who makes a featherweight barrel that will finish around 22".

4. B23

B23 Gold $$ Contributor

Since you are building this on a long action and the Swift has plenty of horsepower to sling heavier bullets, I'd definitely give some thought to a 9 or 10tw just to keep my options open if you ever get a hankering to shoot a little heavier bullet/s. I think even a 9tw with 53gr Vmax would be plenty safe and would give you the option of shooting up to a 70 grainer. Just food for thought.

5. codybrown

I don't want to get into too fast of a twist and loose my ability to shoot light projectiles.

6. ckrifles

ckrifles Gold $$ Contributor

If you use a good quality bullets you will not have a problem with too much twist. you can not over stabilize a bullet.

7. B23

B23 Gold $$ Contributor

The small, lighter, bullets don't have so much problem with them coming apart as do the heavy for caliber bullets when you spin them really fast with a lot of velocity behind them. I think even with a 9tw in a 220 Swift, you'd be ok shooting the fly weights.

piute likes this.
  8. codybrown

I was under the impression that the increased velocity from a lighter grained bullet combined with the fast twist rate would blow apart the bullets. The only experience I've had with this was in another 220 swift that I have that I loaded up some bulk 55gr psp bullets in and had about every 4-5th shot not hit the paper at 100 yards. Came back to 50 yards and had what looked like birdshot on my targets for the bullets that didn't arrive. Granted they were bulk bullets, but I wasn't pushing them anywhere near max loads.

9. 6MMsteve

6MMsteve Gold $$ Contributor

watch those primer pockets...they get loose quick..

10. Gary in MD

Gary in MD Gold $$ Contributor

My Cooper Swift is a 12 twist and I had a Ruger with a 14” and of course the 22-250 too. Basically always have shot 55 grain bullets. I experimented with lighter but always came back to the 55s. For my varmint hunting out to a max of 500 yards or so, I feel like they carry better than the light weights. I also think they cause more carnage at the target than the lighter ones. Have shot thousands of the Ballistic Tips and Vmaxs but I think the 55 grain Sierra Blitz Kings just may be the best.
    ymmv
    Gary

WyleWD and 357Mag like this.
  11. 357Mag

357Mag

Cody-

Howdy !

Apples and.......near-apples:

I shot my wildcat “ .22-35 a Remington “ in a. 24” Hart SS 1-14 5-groove.
    My intended use was for it to propel 55gr SX’s , for killing groundhogs.

.22-35 Remington has case capacity between that of a .22-250 and a
    .22-250AI.

I initially tried the 50SX, but went completely over to use of the 55SX, which carried more energy; farther. My thoughts on varmint bullets are similar to those WyleMD expressed. Also will say I never had a bullet
    “ blow up “ when shooting the .22-35, and those SX bullets have a .009”
    thin explosive jackets.

The 1-14 twist accommodated bullets up to the Sierra .224” cal 65 SPBT,
    and I only encountered stability challenges when trying long ( longer than .75” ) custom 60 grainer’s.

I spec’d my .22-35 wildcat to hold seated 55SX half way down in the
    .250” lg neck. With the case’s 1.920” lg, the resulting cartridge oal
    fit through the loading port of my Wichita WBR1375 single shot action
    w/ ease ( basically.... a SA ).

I like to shoot high load density when I can, and got both great accuracy and useful vel when shooting WW760; and even VV 160. Their burn rate worked just fine in concert w/ the 24” barrel.

For your shorter barrel choice, you’d doubtless opt for faster burn rate powders, perhaps even faster than H4350.

I’ve had great success using FED Large Magnum Rifle Match under
    WW760 and Vv 160 in the .22-23, and also in my 29” 1-8 Broughton chambered in my “ DEEP 6 “ wildcat ( case capacity 51.2gr H2O ).

I DK if that helps, any ?!

With regards,
    357Mag

12. snert

snert Silver $$ Contributor

Ive found that a good barrel will hold together an SX when a factory barrel wont, all things same. I am still a light bullet traditionalist, primarily because many of the farms I shoot have "far enough" shots, but just over hill and dale is a housing complex etc. I prefer the bullets that tear up, not the ones that turn into a bent banana going "wrrrrrrrrrrr" into a busload of nuns just over the hill. (That is how my luck runs). So I have to stick with old school bullets and drive the heck outta them.

Ramblerman and Gary in MD like this.
  13. codybrown

So the consensus is as long as I choose a good quality projectile I can get away with a faster twist barrel? I have a lot of 52-55gr bullets already so chances are that's what I'd use.

14. danny

danny

Why would you do it on a Ruger?

Danny

15. snert

snert Silver $$ Contributor

yes

B23 likes this.
  16. Barossa_222

Barossa_222

I like the claw extractor and the I love the orberndorf bottom metal that the Ruger has. The plunger ejector on the Rem, while very functional, I can take or leave. Just a personal preference really.

WyleWD likes this.
  17. nockhunter

nockhunter

1-12 twist, Sierra 50g or 55g blitz kings, and don't look back. You will have a hard time finding anything consistently more accurate.

Mike

18. Racebannon3855

Racebannon3855

Cody,
    If you can find a copy of Ken Waters pet loads he used a Ruger 77 and it was a hammer. His work is dated but his results might help with a few decisions. My gun safe includes a pacnor barreled 77 in 6 rem Ackley and a flat top 77 la waiting to be turned into a 25/06 Ackley. I would send the bolt out to Greg at Gre-Tan and have it bushed. Other than that I think Rugers make great hunting rifles.

Good Luck and please show the results!

codybrown likes this.
  19. 1911nut

1911nut

My 40x 1/14” twist Swift shoots 52 & 55g Berger target bullets into tiny bugholes @ 100 yds.

20. xswanted

xswanted Gold $$ Contributor

12 twist and build it on a shirt action. You shouldn’t have a problem.

My ruger m77 ejects live rounds no problem.