Let’s talk suppressors...

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by 22DASHER, Jul 29, 2018.

1. 22DASHER

22DASHER Gold $$ Contributor

So I would really like some input on the best suppressors. I would be using them on everything from light weight, short barreled coyote rigs, to the prairie dog rifles, and also for PRS competition. I would be purchasing multiple and just don’t even know where to start as suppressors are virgin ground for me. Any info is greatly appreciated!

2. Mudcat

Mudcat Gold $$ Contributor

You cant go wrong with Deadair. For compact, look at the Sandman K. the bigger Sandman's are a bit quieter, but they are, of course, bigger. I use a K on my hunting rig and it does a great job and doesnt add much to the end of teh bbl compared to the bigger versions. Get set up with a good local NFA dealer, that will help a lot.

3. Prairiedogger

Prairiedogger

Chrs_28, effendude, Sniper338 and 2 others like this.
  4. Drop Port

Drop Port

effendude likes this.
  5. 22DASHER

What type of accuracy changes could one expect to see?

6. Prairiedogger

Prairiedogger

My POI did move. It depended on the barrel. One lowered about 1.5". It changes the harmonic of the barrel so expect something. It "seams" to tighten groups to some shooters. Not sure about that one. Your accuracy should be the same or better, just the POI moves. The decibel level, might be one thing you look at when comparing. My grandkids shoot better, because of that. You wont be sorry. You'll just want another one. I have 5. TBAC

P1ZombieKiller likes this.
  7. B23

B23

I think there are good cans out there and a few that are VERY good. I have TBAC, SAS, and a Dead Air Ghost for my pistols. All three are very good, but if I was starting all over, all my rifle and rimfire cans would be TBAC because their Ultra series are probably the best centerfire suppressors on the market. If you're looking for a top rated rimfire can the TBAC 22 Take Down suppressor is top notch as well.

8. nativecat01

nativecat01 Gold $$ Contributor

I took my ultra 9's out today to check how much POI I have. My 6.5 Creedmoor was about 4" difference. My 6BR was about 2". My 6x45 AR was about 2". The .223 AR was 1/2".

9. XTR

XTR

All of the major manufacturers make a good can, TBAC has a devoted following.

All of them have their own unique mounting systems, even direct threads may require a mount that allows you to thread it onto the barrel. You need to take some time and look at what is offered and what you may like/want.

Go over to SnipersHide and peruse the suppressors forum there, and go to Silerncertalk.com and look there. Lots of fanbois of most of the makers, take a look and see what works for you.

perry42 likes this.
  10. Gabe22BR

Gabe22BR Gold $$ Contributor

Getting a DeadAir TI here in 30 cal., should handle anything I can got.

11. STS

STS Silver $$ Contributor

I expected to have a degradation in accuracy with the suppressor on. If anything it IMPROVED. IMO you should evaluate your goals and design the rifle/barrel/suppressor assembly to achieve the goals. In my case I wanted superb accuracy so I bought a direct thread all titanium can from SAS and had them thread it 5/8 X 24 rather than 1/2 X28. I tapered a HV contour BR barrel to a 5 taper and left a .850 boss on the muzzle so it would have a wide shoulder to seat against. An 18 inch barrel and a 6 inch can is pretty handy it seems. If done correctly it will shoot at least as good as it does without the can.

12. moondog

moondog Gold $$ Contributor

13. 22DASHER

Wow. I didn’t know TBAC was this far above the competition. Good to hear

14. Sniper338

Sniper338

Another.... I got a TBAC ultra 9 30 cal, and a dead air mask for .22lr.

Been very happy. Shoot the TBAC on 6br, 284, 308, 6xc, 22-250ai, 260, 6.5x47, 6.5 grendel... its well worth the money. 6br and that can is pretty awesome, full loads and its suprisingly quiet, just the sound of the bullet..

I used direct thread on, no quick attachments.

15. MrFrankZ

MrFrankZ Gold $$ Contributor

TBAC is top notch. But if I'm dropping another load of coin on a suppressor it'll be another Crux. Both have the same repeatability for me, but the Crux has a smaller form factor with all the performance.

EDIT: For comparison, here is an Ultra9 next to the Crux.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  16. jepp2

jepp2 Gold $$ Contributor

I'm pretty much where you are. To let you know how naive I was, I didn't know you needed a stamp for each can you buy. Found that out my first trip to talk about them.

MrFrankZ likes this.
  17. 22DASHER

Yeah. I think I am going to go the trust route but I will definitely be seeking some advice on that as well.

MrFrankZ likes this.
  18. B23

B23

Using a trust, since 41F was passed back in July 2016, isn't quite as beneficial as it once was, and the Form 4's seem to be coming back a few months faster going individual versus Form 4 on a trust. I've heard of guys getting their approval back in 4-ish months when filing as an individual

BCsaw and Delfuego like this.
  19. P1ZombieKiller

P1ZombieKiller Gold $$ Contributor

If I understand it correctly... the benefits of a trust still make it where your wife/kids can be on the trust, and still legally use, travel, hunt, have in their possession the cans without you actually being in their presence..... Not sure if that is true. I have several on my trust, and that is how it was explained to me.

tstowater and spife7980 like this.
  20. Clancy

Clancy Silver $$ Contributor

Almost anything in a direct thread will allow you to shoot groups as good as the rifle ever has. True, Thunder Beast is probably the best.

Plan on reworking loads for all your rifles, some won’t shoot well anymore and some will be way overpressure.

All that being said, aside from your rifle being quieter there will be little difference. I don’t even hunt coyotes with one unless I’m hunting with someone that is still convinced it helps.

Ear pro will still be required.

Sorry for all the off topic info, just always feel the need to share some of the “less cool” parts.

rebel likes this.