Lenzi LR Reloading Press

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Willow, May 12, 2017.

1. Willow

Willow

So Kelbly's have recently added this Lenzi LR reloading press to their staple of products. The press looks fantastic, but at $950, it would damn well want to. Having said that, has anyone out there dropped the coin for one of these presses?

I'm considering selling my Redding Big Boss II to a mate who is starting to get into reloading, but I'd like to know what real world advantages this Lenzi press offers over something like a Forster co-ax which is less than half the price but very well renowned and proven.

http://www.kelbly.com/shooting-accessories/lenzi-lr-press

Michael White likes this.
  2. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

I would stick with a regular press. I believe it looks like a small custom press designed to be taken to the range. Matt

IdahoSharpshooter likes this.
  3. Shynloco

Shynloco You can lead a horse to water, but ........ Gold $$ Contributor

IMHO, Matt is right. Looks like someone is trying to mimic a small Harrell designed for range use. But that price is outrageous and it should be able to serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. I'd stick with the Redding Big Boss and perhaps spring for the Harrel. And no offense meant to Kelbly either because they make very fine/top of the line equipment.

Alex

4. DRNewcomb

DRNewcomb

Right. "The press is built with the main parts in light alloy...". The only advantage I can think of to doing this is to make it more portable. Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with forged or machined steel.

5. JRS

JRS Gold $$ Contributor

Another copy of the Bod Dodd (RFD) press, which is now manufactured by John Loh.

Build it…. those gullible Americans will buy anything:D

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  6. ireload2

ireload2

Not a good press for a long life of heavy duty use.
    Check out the graph. Aluminum does not have an endurance limit. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatigue_limit
    It would be ok for sizing and bullet seating at the range.
    It would NOT be a good choice for your main press at home. You would be better off with a $100 Rock Chucket or a $250 RCBS A2.

7. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

Beautiful looking piece of equipment. Would be a real nice trophy for a win at a major ( Super Shoot ) match....;)

DRNewcomb and LRPV like this.
  8. DRNewcomb

DRNewcomb

I have a question for the machinist types here. How would one go about measuring the angular alignment between the ram and the die on a press?

9. Matt in Virginia

Matt in Virginia

fwiw,
    I've never seen the press in person, however, I have no interest in a main/heavy press made of aluminum. I am guilty of buying things because they are beautiful, however, I made certain they delivered on the promise of precision and durability beforehand. It took a little more than a year to vett my Prazi Press from Christian Turban, however, it is going no where. I've had more than a few friends try to buy it, however, they are not interested in going through the hoops of buying their own. All that being said I prefer my Forster Co-Ax and my RCBS A4. I would love to see someone replace the ram in the A4 with an ultra high precision unit, fit a bronze bushing to the ram, of course line bore the ram travel AND the the 13/8 x12 top of the press to 1 1/2 x 12 tpi and then make ultra precision 7/8-14 & 1 1/4-12 inserts. Chemical stripping, magnafluxing, and repainting/powdercoating with a tough RCBS Geen Epoxy and a fitted set of actual .125" shell holders would top the package off... Until that happens I'll still use mine as well as the Prazi...

Factory with no mounting plate mounted...

FactoryPrazii2.jpg

10. Willow

Willow

That's a beautiful looking press Matt. For what reasons do you prefer your co-ax and RCBS over it?

11. IdahoSharpshooter

IdahoSharpshooter Gold $$ Contributor

Thomas Henderson LB for the Dallas Cowboys in the drugged-out 1980's once said "Cocaine is God's way of telling you you make too much money..."

I think this is another way.

Matt,
    let me know when you get tired of that press. I can find it a good home here in SW Idaho right to the left of my A4. ;)

Rich

12. Matt in Virginia

Matt in Virginia

Willow,
    Thank you very much. In truth I do enjoy using the press, however, I find the lack of having to use or look for a correct or surface ground(corrected)shell holder to be a real plus with the Co-Ax. In this I am not being lazy but rather it is becoming very difficult to find a Redding Shellholder that is close to .125" can often be a real task. I actually have a #10 from 2005 that was bought along with a .223 AI S Type Match Die Set that turned out to be .008" over(.133") via my Starrett Depth Micrometer... I left it on the bench and had a friend, who is an actual machinist by trade, to Mic it for me. He came up with the same number. I was actually recommended to buy RCBS from the man who makes the press/Herr Turban, so maybe I will go that route in the future. Last, and my family would agree that I can rarely ever be completely satisfied(Not really, but I am discerning). Same case with the Prazi. After it shipped on Monday, from Germany, and we were anticipating 1-2 weeks it arrived the NEXT DAY to Coastal Virginia... That is hard service to fault even with a $105 Shipping Bill...

The only other thing that really keeps me fond of the A4, besides a heavy dose of nostalgia, is that you reach directly into the press as opposed to around the side like a Rock Chucker or the Prazi. By the way, the picture is a Factory Picture, you can see the larger Press in the background. My point and shoot, captures 24 mb of info on every click and there is no way to make them smaller other than host them. I'll get around to that on the new custom bench...;-)

I should note that I have found NOTHING wrong with the Prazi Press despites some stops and starts based on a language barrier and an idiot reviewing their press in Germany. To be honest it is as if Mercedes AMG decided to build a loading press. Oddly enough what I thought were bronze bushings on the guide rams are actually ball bearings encompassed by by bronze bushings. The Prazi could be designed with a bit more thought to ergonomics, akin to the A4, however, I am not complaining. It is best described a "Tour de Force in CNC Machining and the finest of materials". EVERY bolt is a 10.9 class which is, as I have been told, akin, but not exactly the same thing as our grade 8. EVERY BOLT including the ones that mount the press plate to the bench... All from the same German Manufacturer and the same class which I am told, total ignorance here, is slightly different from our grading. THEY make a 12.9 which we don't have a direct, commonly available, GRADED Bolt to compete with...

It has almost NOTHING that is not fitted with a bronze bushing... I asked Christian if I could "buy" a bag of "spare parts", however, he said "he designed the press to be rebuilt by ANY QUALIFIED MACHINE SHOP". There are "NO special parts that are not available through industrial supply houses or made quickly". He also side "You will not live long enough to wear this press out...". Have to admire a man who calls them as he sees them...;-)

He was likely hoping I would kick the bucket sooner than later as I had been a pill as a customer. I made the mistake of treating a German Master like a typical American who is FAR more interested in "getting paid". UNDERSTAND I realize this is a grossly GENERALIZED statement as we have MASTERS in Metal over here as well(Mark Penrod comes to mind), however, it is a general difference in the way their mind works. The press, with shipping & customs, A 110mm square by 20mm thick bench plate, not to mention bluing to match the press, and shipping from Germany to my door in less than 2 full days was JUST south of $900. IF anyone over here had the interest to build something similar it would cost a minimum of twice that. Could be wrong on that, however, I'd not hold my breath on it. They just have a different attitude about approaching their work...

To be honest I am also going to try Triebel. They were his recommendation. It is such a novel thought to go from reamer, to headspace gauge, to shellholder, to sizing die, to sliding chamber seating die, from the very same company. If they are like everything else I have gotten from the Germans it will not disappoint. They are not THAT expensive either... That said you don't get that World Class Redding Customer Service...:rolleyes:

I have found RCBS & Dillon to have World Class Customer Service with the former sometimes being shy on a Worldclass Product. That said sometimes in their arena I have found they a make a better product, imho, than the latter. Again imho...

Back to the interesting part:

http://www.triebel-guntools.de

Anyone know of a Stateside Dealer?

Matt,
    let me know when you get tired of that press. I can find it a good home here in SW Idaho right to the left of my A4. ;)
    Rich

Rich,
    I'll keep you in mind. I was looking at the midsize press. Loses some of the aesthetics, however, you gain a little extra room to work. I think having TWO of these presses on the bench and a Mark 7 driven Dillon 1050 might be a bit much for the bench room I have available. I prefer the Prazi over the three guide mast models. That being said the "Heavy PraziPress140mm" really gives you a ton of room to work with your hand around the triple tiered guide rods. It is also 7/8-14 UNF, 1-1/4x12 UNF, and finally 1-1/2 x 12 UNF.

img_3217.jpg

img_3237.jpg

img_3258.jpg

That antiquated sloppy A4 will almost cover shipping on the deal?;) You do know they were recalled? Really doing a public service...

Regards, Matt.

13. damoncali

damoncali Gold $$ Contributor

I agree with your conclusion that a Rockchucker will do everything this press will (except catch a primer), but just about every part in that thing will wear away to nothing long before you crack it from fatigue. That monster is thick. It would probably take loading more rounds than have ever been produced in the history of mankind to fatigue crack that thing.

14. ireload2

ireload2

You might want to review endurance limit for aluminum.

15. IdahoSharpshooter

Arnold couldn't put enough pressure to make that thing spring .001",

16. damoncali

damoncali Gold $$ Contributor

The stress on that frame is very low. It would take many lifetimes to fatigue.

17. Fotheringill

Fotheringill

"... But that price is outrageous and it should be able to serve breakfast, lunch and dinner...." and more that I can think of but would be censored.

It looks nice and sleek, but my Rockchucker Supreme will function just as well (and even catch primers) with a little duct taping job for the difference in price of $800. BUT, each to his own. The $800 to me goes a long way to purchasing another new rifle or getting a rebarreling job.

18. IdahoSharpshooter

I still want one.

that said, money does enter into the discussion.

I wonder how an RCE bullet swaging press would compare.

19. ireload2

ireload2

How do you know? I bet you can't calculate the stress and I am pretty sure you can spring it .001 easily. Just put an indicator on it.

20. ireload2

ireload2

You don't know that without making the calculations.