Left the Range

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by dannyjbiggs, Dec 11, 2015.

1. dannyjbiggs

dannyjbiggs

Our long time shooting friend, Jerry Tierney, left the range last night. Jerry was 77 years old, and was overtaken by bad health over the past year...cancer and other ailments. An accomplished Palma Rifle shooter, his home range was the Sacramento Valley Shooting Center, near Sacramento, CA, and, just 16 miles from his front door, outside Plymouth, CA.

Jerry was a frequent contributor to this blog in past years. In particular, about 7 years ago, he published considerable results of his testing of the Winchester .284 cartridge. This testing convinced several of us to transition from the venerable 6.5-.284 to the straight .284 for both long range "sling" and F-Class Open. Jerry's testing was primarily in the realm of F-Open; wherein, he fell "in cahoots" with a young F-Open shooter, Charles Ballard, who set an F-Class Open National record that stood for many years. (By the way, Incahoots is the name of Jerry's favorite restaurant in Plymouth, CA, near his home; where I've enjoyed many an evening meal with him.)

Many others have contributed to the legacy of the Winchester .284; but, if you happen to be shooting a .284 in F-Open today...you might just give a thought to Jerry at your next trigger-pull. More than likely, you are shooting some of his data.

Danny Biggs

2. acloco

acloco

God's Speed!

3. BigBlueandGoldie

BigBlueandGoldie

Sounds like a good man, sorry to hear of his passing.

4. Phil

Phil

We are diminished by his passing.....

R.I.P. Jerry......

Our condolences to his family and friends.

Phil & Kristen.

5. ShootDots

ShootDots Gold $$ Contributor

He was a LONG time supporter of all the shooting sports. Great man indeed..

6. coues52

coues52

god speed, sounds like he was one of the hidden hero's...I have a long throated str 284..Danny B

7. dmoran

dmoran Donovan Moran Silver $$ Contributor

My respect and condolence....... to the Tierney family and friends.

Jerry is the leading member of the "NBRSA Long Range Hall of Fame"..... well deserved !.!.!
    A very friendly man, a mentor to the sport, and one of the best LR competition shooters there's ever been.

Betting he's up above, at the range shooting, and smiling down at us right now....
    Donovan Moran

8. bsumoba

bsumoba Silver $$ Contributor

Jerry Tierney is the reasons I am shooting a 284 variant today.

I had the pleasure and opportunity to shoot with him just before he fell sick. July 2014, the start of my F-Open addiction, shooting my tactical rifle in a 3x600 match, he was was shooting next to me. Coming from tactical, I had very little experience on what to do. He was the first person to help me and give me the run down on the rules. While in the pits, it was where I made the decision to shoot a 284 variant based on the conversation I had with him that day. He was one of the first people to congratulate me on a local palma match win earlier this year and was always helpful answering any questions I had.

I must have read his interview over a dozen times: http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek053.html

He will be missed greatly by many.

RIP Jerry and condolences to the Tierney family.