Lee Priming Tool -- I think I like it!!

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by jds holler, Mar 1, 2019.

1. jds holler

jds holler Gold $$ Contributor

In my trays, cabinets, boxes and drawers of reloading stuff, I've got gun show bring-backs and yard sale stuff that I've never even tried. The Lee Priming tool with tray is one of them that I finally sat down and used for the first time.

I'm loading squirrel shells for a couple of rifles, (20-222 and 218 Bee). I'm doing a pretty healthy quantity, and had a bunch of brass that's already been prepped and at the priming stage. The CPAC speeches are on the tube, and I thought what better time to sit and take care of this chore. I'm mostly listening, so I can keep an eye on my QC.

I've gotta say that I wish I'd have got going with this little thing years ago. I've always been a "Press Primer" and with the auto feed attachment it works pretty good, but I see myself using this Lee tool more often in the future. jd

Rushty, Ggmac and Bc'z like this.
  2. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Lee auto prime is slicker n snot on a door knob. All I use unless I'm loading on the Dillon.

3. Someoldguy

Someoldguy Guest

Is it the type with the square tray, or the older style with the round tray? All I've ever had the opportunity to try is the square tray style.

I've heard the older models were better, but it seems everyone lusts after things rare and no longer in production. Kinda like mechanical scales, Ohaus 10-10, for example.

4. Medic505

Medic505 Dean Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

You must have an old one if it works that good. The brain trust at Lee worked really hard to screw up a good product.

Mad_Charlie, MrMajestic and Bc'z like this.
  5. jds holler

This one's got the round tray. I don't remember when or how much I got it for. I'm a Phd tight-wad though, so I know I didn't spend more than a little for it. I've only got two shell holders for it, but they fit my two favorite squirrel rifles, so that was good luck. The one that fits the Bee cases also will work for nines, so this thing is gonna see some serious use. Need to find one for 38/357, and of course 308 family. jd

Medic505 likes this.
  6. biggen0_8

biggen0_8 Gold $$ Contributor

I have the old and the new, the old fed the primers better, but the new is more comfortable to run. But it double feeds or whatever you call it, so much I've just about thrown it in the drawer and dug out the old one.

Medic505 and MrMajestic like this.
  7. shortthroat

shortthroat

I wore out a couple of the old ones. The alloy lever was too soft and wore down to where it wouldn't seat the primers properly. The revised older round ones used a steel lever and these work fine. I found a couple of these on e-pray and gobbled them up. The new versions have been ruined by the Lee lawyers.

The only problem with the Lee is finding an appropriate shell holder. I couldn't find one for .17CCM and had to take one for the press and turn it flat to fit the priming tool. And there is a problem priming large magnum rifle cartridges that are too large in diameter to fit the tool. So for .338LM and 7RSAUM I am using the Sinclair tool to prime one at a time. It is superior because the primer depth can be set exactly right, but that too took a bit of lathe work to get everything working.

After all this, I am back to press priming for the CCI-35 primers that fit 50BMG. Not a problem since the rounds are a lot more pricey anyhow.

8. JohnKielly

JohnKielly Australia, not Austria Silver $$ Contributor

That origami primer feed tray common in both hand and bench models is the pits & totally incapable of acquiring & feeding primers with regularity & precision.

I bought the bench model because of arthritis in both hands. It's the first Lee product I've ever binned.

9. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

15515064955553842184625883802464.jpg
    Pm me your address its yours, brand new never used.
    It is 19 years old though. 15515067528103083072278430871853.jpg
    Now if you get a Lee regular shell holder for 308 size cases #2 you can cut/grind off the lower portion and it'll fit the auto prime.
    Bradbury's gun n tackle here in Grantspass
    Just may have you handled on the #2 as he stocks a fair amount of Lee gear.

fultonbig9 and Ggmac like this.
  10. jds holler

Once again Bc'z, you prove yourself to be a stand-up dude. PM inbound. jd

Ggmac, Medic505 and Bc'z like this.
  11. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Glad to help ya.

fultonbig9 and Ggmac like this.
  12. Someoldguy

Someoldguy Guest

Kinda what I'd surmised. The old one's worked better, but the new one's meet legalities better. Dammit.

Medic505 likes this.
  13. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

@shortthroat
    Try taking the steel anvil that attaches to lever and pushes priming ram and flip it over 180°.
    I had an issue bout 6 months ago thought I was up the creek as it wasnt seating small primers properly. Flipped it over problem solved

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  14. tenring

tenring Silver $$ Contributor

I had several of the old round tray models. When there were reports of serious eye injuries caused by primer jams, and when the entire batch of primers exploded due to one becoming lodged, I stopped using the Lee and bought a K&M tool. One at a time works fine for me.

dkhunt14 and boltfluter like this.
  15. HTSmith

HTSmith Silver $$ Contributor

Keep just a dab of grease on all the metal to metal contact points and it will work smoother and last longer.

biggen0_8 and Bc'z like this.
  16. Ggmac

Ggmac Gold $$ Contributor

Well I guess you could of just used the LEE , one primer at a time and continued using it .

Whit holman likes this.
  17. Don

Don Gold $$ Contributor

Well I had 4 of the old Models with Round Holder … Dam they where Good.
    I Won a 21st Century ! I feel in Love.. Sold all the Lee and spare parts.. Maybe the 2nd biggest mistake ?

I need a second set up for .223 , I ordered a New Lee Tri-Angle Holder ! It is a Big Pain....
    It jams it feeds at times . I think it is not Small Primer Friendly ?

18. Rsadams

Rsadams

Please PM me , I have an entire set I bought that's missing two I think , you can have them , I bought them from the bargain cave at Cabela's awhile back thinking they were actually shell holders , think someone stole a few.... Free of charge of course if you like...

BCz has helped me in the past , between the two of us we may be able to get you fixed up...

The set is in a red plastic box , says LEE on the front... It has two #1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 , #7 , #8 , #9 , #11 and a #19...

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    WhiskyTahoeFoxtrot and Bc'z like this.
  19. Rushty

Rushty Silver $$ Contributor

I have both the round and the square models, both have loaded thousands of primers and are a pleasure to use..

20. Medic505

Medic505 Dean Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

After reading here how great the new bench mounted Lee primer with the flappy tray worked I invested (or wasted) $28.99 plus shipping. Gave that sorry primer jamming POS away today. My brother is probably going to kick my butt after he uses it for the first time....
    I got a great deal on a Forester CO-AX priming tool on here. so now I have one set for .308 and another set for .223 Life is better without the Lee.

JohnKielly likes this.