Lee Dipper chart

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by SPJ, Sep 13, 2018.

1. SPJ

SPJ Silver $$ Contributor

Gents
    I noticed that the Lee dipper chart doesn't list Varget, does anyone know which size is appropriate for 30 gr.
    Curious
    Jim

2. jds holler

jds holler Gold $$ Contributor

SPJ, you really oughta invest in a powder scale if you want to make your life easier an safer.

No problem using the dippers for throwing charges, but the peace of mind and versatility of throwing any powder you wish will be tremendous with almost any rudimentary scale. Only one I wouldn't recommend is the little Lee Safety or whatever they call it. jd

3. SPJ

Thanks Brother
    I have two scales a charger and a trickler
    1 electric and 1 Rcbs 1010
    My intentions are to dip a charge then trickle up , I like using the 1010
    I think the RL-15 line listing 1.9 or 2.2 would be close, but I have no experience with them.
    Regards
    Jim

4. hoz53

hoz53 Gold $$ Contributor

If you have those scales why didn’t you just weigh the dipper charges

Howland and ED3 like this.
  5. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

Hey theres a uniflow powder measure for sale on here cheap. Way better than dippers. Throw those things out!!

6. SPJ

Hoz
    I'm not that smart.

I figured you knew;)

7. SPJ

Brother Dusty
    You know I'm old school "

8. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

A uniflow, trickler and beam is old skool. A lee dipper is, i have no idea, but you can make the uniflow dump within a few kernels.

9. hoz53

I do know but you gotta work a little for it:eek:

SPJ likes this.
  10. #40Fan

#40Fan

SPJ likes this.
  11. Homerange

Homerange

SPJ likes this.
  12. #40Fan

#40Fan

.2 grain difference between the two when using the 2.2 dipper.

13. SPJ

thanks Brother
    2.2 it is!

14. SPJ

15. Mikemci

Mikemci

I like my dippers too Jim. Dip, trickle to the beam scale, done. No problem, works every time!

simo hayha and SPJ like this.
  16. SPJ

My wife isn't loaning me her kitchen spoons anymore!
    ^^^^^ I use a small screen I Phone 99% of the time for searching I must have looked right at it twice :confused:
    Jim

17. hoz53

ok SP. i got a new set of dippers- mabie ill get them out and try em now that you brought them up

SPJ likes this.
  18. 2506

When I first started hand loading at the age of 16 for 30-06 it was with the Lee hammer type dies and I used the dipper for powder load. I got OK accuracy but at the time I was not shooting much over 100 yards and minute of deer was my accuracy criteria. When I finally got a real loading set up it scared me at how much difference between dipper scoops the weight varied with the stick powders. Ball powders did much better. The dippers that came with the hammer Lee set dropped pretty light loads though so safety wise you were pretty much OK. When doing rifle loads and only doing 20 rounds or less I still use these dippers to get in the ball park of weight in the scale and over the past 40+ years I have perfected the "put a little more powder in the dipper and tap it with my finger and trickle in enough to get the weight I need". With pistol rounds and rifle over 20 rounds I use the RCBS powder measure. For Pistol I weight every 10th load and rifle I dump just under the weight I want into the powder pan of the scale and trickle in the rest.

simo hayha, SPJ, Laurie and 1 other person like this.
  19. Laurie

Laurie

I started with the Lee 'Loader' too but got a shop-soiled set of RCBS 5-0-5 scales from the off as I never fancied relying on the dipper alone. The Lee scoops (or any other form of volumetric 'dipper') can be pretty consistent though if used properly. Scooping them through the powder in an arc is hopeless, it has to be a plunge / gravity fill method. ie put powder into a suitable bowl, plunge dipper cup into the body of powder base first as near vertically as possible until its mouth is submerged, let gravity fill the cup, lift straight up with as little disturbance as possible, use a straight edge piece of stiff card or plastic (old credit card or similar is ideal) to sweep the heaped portion off the top and leave the contents level with the cup mouth edges.

chop house, SPJ and squint-n-squeeze like this.
  20. squint-n-squeeze

squint-n-squeeze

As someone who recently switched from scoops to a power measure, I can confirm that there is a world of difference. I've been scooping H4895 then trickling up - not only is it incredibly time consuming, the repeatability of the scoops is terrible. I think initially I chose to go with scoops because I heard that measures don't handle stick powder. Since I switched to a measure, the process is way faster and way more accurate! I use a Lee Perfect (the all-plastic model) and it works great with stick powder. The thrown charge is plenty accurate for short-range XTC, and then I trickle/weigh my 600yd loads.