Lederer Barrels

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by Alex Wheeler, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

I finally got around to chambering the 2 Lederer barrels that have been in the shop. Both in 6BRA of course. I wanted to make this post to comment on something I noticed. Borescopes are becoming more common. If you look at enough throats you will see trends. Especially in different makes. The way the end of the cut is shaped in the throat gives you an idea of the shape of the cutter or button. Its pretty common for button barrels to have a cupped land or have "wings". You can measure them with and indicator, usually .0003" or so. The cut across the land will look longer towards the sides of the land than in the middle of it. I pay close attention to the shapes I see in barrels. Kreigers for example usually have the correct radius in the groove. This will look like a straight cut across the groove, but they often have some ratchet. Ratchet is where one side of the groove is deeper and the cut will look angled across the groove at the end of the throat. Thats fine so long as every groove has that same angle in it and the length of the cut is equal on each land. Thats show your smith did his job. Some barrels have very interesting shapes in the bore. I mention that because the 2 Lederer barrels I cut today had almost perfectly shaped cutters. He pays attention to the shape of his cutter, thats obvious. The cut across the groves was as straight as I have seen. That doesnt mean they will or wont shoot, but it means he is paying attention and putting out good work. Just a plug from someone who noticed.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    LRPV, USMCDOC, 500Stroker and 8 others like this.
  2. skiutah02

skiutah02 Gold $$ Contributor

I got to watch him cut the rifling on my current blank and hand lap it. Was a lesson in fine craftsmanship....My 1st barrel from him, a 308, was (and still is at 3000rnds) a laser. Cannot wait to have the blank chambered and see how it shoots. Will be for the 200s vs the 185s. Drew

3. avidflyer

avidflyer Silver $$ Contributor

What freebore you going with? We used a 170 FB on the last 1/10 we did for my 20x barrel (same as the jug setup)

4. skiutah02

skiutah02 Gold $$ Contributor

Will use the 2013 FTR reamer for the new JL barrel, as was used for the 1st JL barrel and my current Brux barrel chambered for this upcoming season (1:10 shooting the 200.20x).

5. 500Stroker

500Stroker Silver $$ Contributor

Alex you have done it again, great info keep it coming.
    Thanks

6. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

I've chambered a few of James' barrels. I think they are very good and all feedback I've heard has been exceptional.

7. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

I have a Lederer chambered in 30 Major that shoots amazingly well and cleans up even better. That barrel is what made me go with the 2 mentioned above that Alex just chambered. I have talked with James L. at length on the phone and he is a knowledgeable shooter and a 1 man operation that is finding much success quickly. I have a 1.50 30" for a heavy on order as well.

Regards
    Rick

dogdude, txdan and gunsandgunsmithing like this.
  8. Alex Wheeler

Well you may want to re read that post. I just did and fixed all my grammar errors and missing zeros. Need to do better proof reads. I have tried to take pictures through my hawkeye. Cant seem to do it. If I had the video screen setup I would like to take pictures to show guys what to look for in throats. How to check the gunsmiths work as well as the manufacturers.

nmkid, Mulligan, Rushty and 1 other person like this.
  9. alinwa

alinwa

I've got a Samsung S5 phone with a rubberized slip-on case. I cut a cross in the rubber (Like we were once taught to suck out rattlesnake venom) at the camera lens and can slip it over my Hawkeye so the phone lens is centered up...... videos are good enough that I've had some used as evidence. Good enough that normal people can discern them, not just me.

10. Alex Wheeler

I will give that a try. If it works I will start collecting pictures.