Learning to read wind

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by rebel, Mar 24, 2019.

1. rardoin

rardoin Silver $$ Contributor

Hmmmm.... I've read/re-read ad nauseum Miller and Cunnigham's book originally titled "The Wind Book for Rifle Shooters". It is the single most beneficial piece of literature I have read in my pursuit of improving my competition skills....hands down. With the new title I wonder if they have added more information.

2. perry42

perry42 Gold $$ Contributor

BP silhouette, .22rimfire at 100yds or more, centerfire at 300yds plus are all good for reading the wind. Shoot in different conditions and shoot often. Talk to long range competitors especially those that shoot out to 1,000yds or more. Shooting in different conditions, taking notes, and shooting often from a good rest (prone or bench) will be your best teacher.

perry42

3. rardoin

rardoin Silver $$ Contributor

Also, shooting several strings of 5-10 shots at 200-300yds in DEAD CALM conditions can be enlightening...you will really see how good your technique (hold/shot release) is if you have a solid load. I became a much better wind reader once my technique improved;).

mikeinct likes this.
  4. JEFFPPC

JEFFPPC Silver $$ Contributor

You make a great point that is mostly overlooked. Learn good consistent bench habits. Read all the books you want, you will only developed wind reading skills by shooting, observing, and thinking....all at the same time. If you don't put in the time you will not developed the skill. No short cuts here.

foxguy likes this.
  5. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

I may have copies of Gene Beggs wind reading articles.

6. Coyotefurharvester

Coyotefurharvester

Next month my club is putting on a 300 yard varmint shoot(fun). I don't have any sort of benchrest rifle, so I will put a 4-20 stac on my 17 rem(Lilja barrel). Possibly a 22-250 with a new Lilja barrel(rem varmint) if the gunsmith finishes it that I have some Bart's ultra 52 grs for. There will be no wind flags, I will have my Kestral meter and my NOAA phone app, should I dial for windage? Normally spot and stalk bedded coyote I dial for distance and hold for drift,trying to time and shoot in a lull. If I dial for the wind then I have to identify matching winds. I guess I'm just wondering what my strategy should be, I will then practice a couple times per the strategy.