Lathe tailstock case holder for trimming?

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by skeet_man, Sep 3, 2017.

1. skeet_man

skeet_man

Whats everyone using?

I'm currently using the lee lock stud with a pair of vice grips around the shell holder for quick tighten and loosening. It gets the job done, the length is very consistent, and it actually works very well, but it seems like the shell alignment isn't consistent and sometimes the shell tips from parallel. The quill in the tailstock is a fairly loose fit, and I let it float so it should be somewhat self aligning.

I'm just thinking something a little more consistent in alignment would be better.

I've devised a couple ideas to implement a collet type system like is seen on the forster trimmers, but those never really turned me on for the fact that the more the collet is tightened, the deeper it is drawn into the housing, and further away from the cutter head, and since the case head sits on a step inside the collet a variation in case head diameter will directly cause a variation in overall length.

2. ireload2

ireload2

You need to look again at the Forster trimmer. If you are not getting good results it is not because of the Forster collet system. The Forster collet is a PUSH collet not a pull collet. The face of the collet provides a uniform locating surface.
    The closing angle is actually on the collet pusher. So the collet is NOT drawn into the housing.
    If you have not getting good results it is because you do not know how to used the Forster trimmer.

3. PatMiles

PatMiles Silver $$ Contributor

I'm going to go about it just the opposite of the OP. I'll be putting a 21st Century case holder, minus the driver in my 3 jaw chuck and mounting the 21st Century neck turning tool on a tool holder that will be held in my KDK tool post. Doing it this way I can align the neck turner to the case in the case holder perfectly. I'll advance the neck turner into the case neck with the cross slide. I'll probably build a stop for the cross slide so I don't push the neck turner too deep into the case mouth.
    Doing it this way will allow me perfect alignment any time I turn necks with any caliber case.

21st Century case holdes.png
    In chuck, no cordless driver attachment.
    ^^

21 Century Neck Turning Tool.png
    On KDK tool holder ^^^

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    USMCDOC likes this.
  4. PatMiles

PatMiles Silver $$ Contributor

Here's the finished product if anybody's interested.

NECK TURNER.JPG

USMCDOC likes this.